Any experience with polymer lower receivers for AR15?

This is a discussion on Any experience with polymer lower receivers for AR15? within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I have been offered a great deal on some polymer lowers. I was thinking of picking one up just to build a pistol on and ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: Any experience with polymer lower receivers for AR15?

I have been offered a great deal on some polymer lowers. I was thinking of picking one up just to build a pistol on and have it for a home defense/trunk gun. I was wondering if any of yall have had any experience good, bad, or otherwise with any of the polymer lowers out there. This particular lower is made by Code Red Sports out of Miami, Fl, its called the stinger-15. Please give me some input.

Distinguished Member Array 5lima30ret's Avatar
    I have a S&W MP-15-22 that has a polymer lower and have had zero trouble with it. I don't know about the 5.56 lower receivers. Good luck!
    Retired Police Lieutenant, Retired USAF Reserve, Glock Armorer, NC CWP, HR-218 Qualified
    Second generation American, Third generation Legionnaire
    "I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me" Phil 4:13

Thanks, i have heard mixed reviewson them so i was hoping some folks her could help me out.

Forged lowers are easily found for 50 plus shipping and transfer. No reason to go polymer.

I have no personal experience, but have seen plenty of Tupperware lowers broken around the receiver extension tower.

For HD, definitely a no no in my book.

Pass on them.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ZacMan1987 View Post
    Forged lowers are easily found for 50 plus shipping and transfer. No reason to go polymer.

I have no personal experience, but have seen plenty of Tupperware lowers broken around the receiver extension tower.

For HD, definitely a no no in my book.

x2

there are tons of them out there I saw them in stock at my LGS for 60 bucks up to 109 bucks ( forged)
    A few months ago when you could not get them people purchased the poly ones. And if you looked at the complete rifles there was lots of good parts on them, just swap out the poly lower when you get a forged one.
    rockinglock32 likes this.
    Fast is fine, but accuracy is everything.
    Wyatt Earp

VIP Member
    I would only pick up a stripped poly lower if it was like $10 bucks and I would let my daughter build it just for the fun of building one.

I guess if you were going to plink away at the range may be ok. I would not trust my life on one. There are a lot of things made of "poly". Just look under the hood of a new car.

I have seen a few guys at the range with them and you need to wiggle the mags in sometimes to get them to catch.
    Fast is fine, but accuracy is everything.
    Wyatt Earp

I was offered one for $20 bucks. I have never personally put an AR together, have always had my dad do it or a gunsmith. So this is partly for learning how to do it myself and i also want a AR pistol. I figured if it doesnt work out i can always pick up a blem 7075 lower down the line and just put everything on it, if the poly lower doesnt work out.
    Hatrix likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by rockinglock32 View Post
    I was offered one for $20 bucks. I have never personally put an AR together, have always had my dad do it or a gunsmith. So this is partly for learning how to do it myself and i also want a AR pistol. I figured if it doesnt work out i can always pick up a blem 7075 lower down the line and just put everything on it, if the poly lower doesnt work out.

You'd be better off just getting one that's forged... at least I think so. When I built my AR the trigger pins were a bear to get in and one needed to me hammered in with a reasonable amount of force, even after I made sure the hole was within spec and free from obstruction and lightly sanded the pin. Not saying it would happen for sure, but if I had been using a poly lower, it might have cracked or broken altogether. I would be leery of the poly lower not being in spec. While the odds are everything would be fine, polymer will have give and flex and who knows what factors during/after manufacturing would cause even the slightest thing to be off. Another thing to consider is resale value. Polymer lowers do not sell well at all, nor do guns made with them.

If you're getting it just for the learning experience it might not be bad for $20. But as others have said, you can get Forged Lowers at great prices now.

Check out this place. I bought a majority of the parts for my build here. They have really awesome prices on a majority of the stuff you'll need. Surplus Ammo Home

Master of the Tactical Back Flip
    Internet Gun Expert

Oh and.... putting together an AR is far easier than you think. Just invest in a good 4in or larger vice and a few of the right tools and you won't have a problem. There's are lots of videos on youtube showing how to put them together.

Master of the Tactical Back Flip
    Internet Gun Expert

1. I have never heard of the company which for polmoyer to me is a major warning sign
    2. Is this a 80% or 100% lower ? Make sure on that a lot of 80% are polymor
    3. Most polmyr lowers I have seen save one or two have massive issues .. Breaking apart after a few rounds etc .. Esp with the rush produceded models
    “Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.” H.L. Mencken
    "Vous ne les laisserez pas passer, mes camarades"
    "We're surrounded. That simplifies our problem of getting to these people and killing them."Chesty Puller

Its a 100% lower. Laos my dad has all the tools i need i just have to go over to his shop. I havent held one of these in my hand yet and that for me will probably be the deciding factor. But after listening to yall i think i am leaning towards a aluminum one, i actually have an Anderson mfg lower sitting in my safe right now that i havent used yet but i can never pass up a deal, but we will see.

While I might consider a carbon fiber AR lower from Windham Arms. Yet Cavalry Arms, Bushmaster and a host of lesser-know makers have already tried (and generally failed) with poly lowers before. Your potential deal is cheap...for a REASON. Pass.
    rockinglock32 and Aceoky like this.
    There are only TWO kinds of people in this world; those who describe the world as filled with two kinds of people...and those who don't.

Quote Originally Posted by rockinglock32 View Post
    Learning is better done on a reputable platform, not a suspect lower receive made out of something with the hardness of modeling clay.

Aluminum lowers are out there from good manufacturers for under $70...just grab one of those.
    Monotony is the awful reward for the careful

How can man die better than facing fearful odds, for the ashes of his fathers and the temples of his Gods?

Senior Member Array NickBurkhardt's Avatar
    That Extar EXP AR pistol is mostly polymer and weighs less than three pounds unloaded. I have not heard much about durability, just that they are fun to shoot.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links