IWI Tavor first shots

IWI Tavor first shots

This is a discussion on IWI Tavor first shots within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Today was a gorgeous day to go out and shoot my new IWI Tavor. I was blasting zombie targets at 25 yards using a variety ...

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By SubNine

Thread: IWI Tavor first shots

Distinguished Member Array SubNine's Avatar

IWI Tavor first shots

Today was a gorgeous day to go out and shoot my new IWI Tavor. I was blasting zombie targets at 25 yards using a variety of ammo (PMC Bronze .223, Federal M193 and M855, and PMC X-TAC), and for the most part it functions well. The only thing is the gun does not like Lancer magazines. It somehow was trying to double feed and a couple of the cartridges got crimped casings right under where they bottleneck. They were rendered unsafe to fire. It performs fine with BCM aluminum mags and of course Magpul PMags. The Tavor shoots a little high using my Aimpoint Micro H1 at 25 yards so I'll need to sight it in next time. Today was just more or less a function test to see how it performed using a variety of magazines and ammo.

We'll see how it stacks up against my Colt M4 AR15 that has a few thousand rounds through it in the long run. I did notice the felt recoil is a little less than an AR15.

So far the Tavor has exactly 300 rounds through it.

My only concern is the polymer body of the Tavor melting after some sustained fire because I got it smoking pretty good after a few relatively rapid strings of fire. The handguard and top rail both get pretty hot after doing this. At least with my Colt AR and its double heat shield handguards, it stays cool to the touch even after rapid fire.

Nonetheless, I am pleased with the Tavor so far. I like the compact feel of the rifle and the fact it can accept MOST standard AR-15 magazines. I wouldn't recommend Lancer mags.
    QKShooter likes this.
    USMC rule # 23 of gunfighting: Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everyone you meet.

I am the God fearing, gun toting, flag waving conservative you were warned about!

Congrats. I really want to get one myself. Lots of good info over on the Bullpup forums.....IWI Tavor

Was the polymer smoking? Or were you burning off some excess lube?

Burning plastic smells awful, so you should hopefully be able to tell.
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, Mini 14; Marlin 336 .30-30; Mossberg 500
    CT Lasers

Distinguished Member Array SubNine's Avatar
    It might have been excess oil that was applied prior to shipment from the IWI plant in Harrisburg PA. I'll just make sure not to do mag dump after mag dump with it! :p
    USMC rule # 23 of gunfighting: Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everyone you meet.

I am the God fearing, gun toting, flag waving conservative you were warned about!

Sponsor
    My tavor has replaced the only ar I own for the same intended role. I won't go back to the ar anytime soon. The tavor runs more reliably [ for me ] than all but one of a dozen ar's I've owned over 30 years.

Don't think you'll find it's polymer smoking or melting, the Israelis would know a thing or two about that on full auto and there's been no reports of such problems to date that I'm aware of
    The mind is the limiting factor

Quick Kill Rifle and Pistol Instructor

Sponsored Links