Good to go AR rifle?

Good to go AR rifle?

This is a discussion on Good to go AR rifle? within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; A while back I posted a remark in another thread that the AR15 I built was "good enough" for home defense. I built it on ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree41Likes

Thread: Good to go AR rifle?

Good to go AR rifle?

A while back I posted a remark in another thread that the AR15 I built was "good enough" for home defense. I built it on the cheap and while it still functions good I'm ready to move on up. In that thread I mentioned, several gentlemen educated me on what to look out for when building but I figure I since already built one, this time I just want to buy a complete rifle. I would like to stay under $1500 if possible but could maybe go as high as $2000. So what are the good to go rifles?

Bravo Company?
    Colt?
    Remington? ACR instead of AR15 maybe?
    Noveske? Might be too expensive.
    Daniel Defense?
    SIG?

These are just the ones off the top of my head I've heard as solid rifles. Anyone have any experience with any of them. If you've had experience with multiple which one did you chose to settle on? Any known issues with the companies listed above? Anyone have any thoughts on piston driven models?

Distinguished Member Array Nmuskier's Avatar
    What do you want this rifle to do? Competition, varmint hunting, long range target, SHTF battle rifle?

Colt M4A1 SOCOM II, love mine with ACOG & CT MVF 515

What about Adams Arms?

Distinguished Member Array noway2's Avatar
    The site officer.com has a really good write up on AR15 features and buying. After reading it I chose one by CMMG which is in your target price range.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Distinguished Member Array SCXDm9's Avatar
    Palmetto State Armory. ...kit less than 500 bucks ready to go... why pay more?
    Friends don't let friends wear fanny packs!!!

Open carry is to a handgun as bluetooth is to a cell phone!

check out m4carbine.net and read the "stickies"...read *a lot* Your question has been asked/answered on more than one occassion. The best? It depends. What do you want to do? Seriously....read the stickies.
    sammage and yankeeman like this.
    Magazine <> clip - know the difference

martyr is a fancy name for crappy fighter
    You have never lived until you have almost died. For those that have fought for it, life has a special flavor the protected will never know

I mean the colt 6920 is the classic right now ready out of the box gun for m4 forgery guns ... But it is not ideal for all roles per say ... If you want a general battel guns yeah the 6920 is the boat ...

To be frank unless your looking for sp thing or role .. Most AR if mil spec or more are all about the same .. Some may have nicer metal in them but all about the same ..
    “Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.” H.L. Mencken
    "Vous ne les laisserez pas passer, mes camarades"
    "We're surrounded. That simplifies our problem of getting to these people and killing them."Chesty Puller

Bravo Company, absolutely. Im not sure they are selling complete rifles right now. There were not a short time ago.

SPIKES

COLT

DD

SIG...Id pass on it. Different internals, heavier, IIRC.

Any of the first 4 and you should do great. DD are sweet, no question, but walmart is getting in some colts that are way above bottom of the barrel, and worth considering.
    sammage likes this.

VIP Member
    You can buy a Colt 6920 with MOE upgrades for under $1000. Colt is the gold standard for a fighting AR. Get a Colt 6920 and sleep well.

If you want something different I suggest a stroll through Bravo Companies website. I've had a couple BCMs and they run like a top.
    Last edited by atctimmy; May 6th, 2014 at 09:51 AM.
    It is surely true that you can lead a horse to water but you can't make them drink. Nor can you make them grateful for your efforts.

Quote Originally Posted by SCXDm9 View Post
    Palmetto State Armory. ...kit less than 500 bucks ready to go... why pay more?
    heck right now PSA has a kit with an AR15 a mossbrg 12 gauge and a glock 17 for 2 grand.
    Logic likes this.

I have experience with bcm and black rain ordnance, both good to go.

Pass on the piston drive models unless you really like the marketing.hype, the cure a problem that isnt there, take care of one thing and add in forward weight and operating rod breakages
    Guns don't kill people, Guns save Lives.

If you want peace, prepare for war

Of your choices listed, in no particular order I'd be real comfortable with BCM, Colt, Noveske and Daniel Defense.

Use the search function and find member jonconsiglio's posts on which ARs to buy.
    SIGguy229, rocky, th0rr and 5 others like this.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

Just another vote for Spikes. I have two and in addition to complete reliability and performance, they are really well made and nice to behold.

If you're even considering 7.62x61,I recommend Armalite.

Quote Originally Posted by Nmuskier View Post
    What do you want this rifle to do? Competition, varmint hunting, long range target, SHTF battle rifle?
    Sorry I should have specified. The one I currently have is fine for plinking and varmint hunting. Looking for a SHTF battle rifle. Something one can really depend on. Just really looking for opinions from experienced folks who've already walked down this road.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links