First AR-15 range trip

This is a discussion on First AR-15 range trip within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; My wife Becky and I both fired our AR-15 (Rock River Operator 3) for the first time today. It was Becky's first experience shooting a ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree50Likes

Thread: First AR-15 range trip

First AR-15 range trip

My wife Becky and I both fired our AR-15 (Rock River Operator 3) for the first time today. It was Becky's first experience shooting a rifle of any kind.

I zeroed the MBUS sights using a 25 yard target adjusted for 100 yard zero (I hope that makes sense) and it took about 5 groups of 5.

Then I put the red dot, a Bushnell trophy something or other, and set the red dot on top of the front sight then adjusted from there.

Once the red dot was fairly well zeroed it was Becky's turn. This was her first rifle shot ever.

Then she fired off 20 rounds.

She's hooked.

I fired one group at 100 but the rain started coming down and cut our day short. I was on paper but a bit high so there is still some work to do.

We're going back out tomorrow. I'm hoping to get some better 100 yard groups and call it zeroed.

Overall my impression of ARs in general are overwhelmingly positive. It's an easy pointing, easy to shoot platform and I begin to understand why they're so popular.

My impression of my AR in particular is also completely positive. It's solidly constructed, smooth and seems much more accurate than I am. I know Rock River gets slammed in certain circles but I'm very happy with mine.

The cheap Bushnell optic seems quite solid as well. I'm told it was designed for turkey hunting so durability shouldn't be an issue and it was easy to sight in.

We're already in discussions to get Becky her own rifle now.....

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array 5lima30ret's Avatar
    Congrats and nice shooting for both of yuins'!
    Bekkers and Aceoky like this.
    Retired Police Lieutenant, Retired USAF Reserve, Glock Armorer, NC CWP, HR-218 Qualified
    Second generation American, Third generation Legionnaire
    "I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me" Phil 4:13

yep good shooting ... Be warned AR can add up and lead to more tac guns .... But for now stock up on mags and ammo and enjoy ( get them while the getting is good I say)
    Bekkers, Aceoky and 5lima30ret like this.
    "Vous ne les laisserez pas passer, mes camarades"
    I am not a lawyer .. Just a dog typing on the internet ..Spelling media apparatus male portatili. Malo me non reprehendo
    "We're surrounded. That simplifies our problem of getting to these people and killing them."Chesty Puller

Thanks. I found some 200 round battle packs for $80 at a local store. Seemed like a good deal. Luckily I'm pretty good on 9mm so I can focus on .223/5.56 if I can keep from shooting it as fast as I buy it.

The rifle came with 2 mags and I bought a pmag. Becky didn't like it because it wasn't match the black gun. Gotta color coordinate I guess.
    5lima30ret and Aceoky like this.

I have enjoyed shooting every time I've gone, but today was as much fun as anything I've ever done and enjoyed. Can't wait to get back to the range and get some more rounds under my belt. This could get very expensive. Lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Bekkers View Post
    I have enjoyed shooting every time I've gone, but today was as much fun as anything I've ever done and enjoyed. Can't wait to get back to the range and get some more rounds under my belt. This could get very expensive. Lol

Trust me it does .....

Next thing you know you are getting a 22lr upper for it and a 9mm conversion for it .. Then your looking at the slidefire stock .... It never ends

Nice thing now is 223 and 556 are finnaly at half way decent pricing for blulk and pmag are running like under 10 a pop ... So it is a good time to get into this hobby verus a few month ago
    Bekkers likes this.
    "Vous ne les laisserez pas passer, mes camarades"
    I am not a lawyer .. Just a dog typing on the internet ..Spelling media apparatus male portatili. Malo me non reprehendo
    "We're surrounded. That simplifies our problem of getting to these people and killing them."Chesty Puller

Wish I had a nearby, inexpensive, rifle range to go to. I've had my AR for a year now and only fired 60 rounds.
    Bekkers likes this.

You need to plan on getting your own rifle, you have probably lost that one. Next you'll see pink on it and it will say becky's rifle. then you wil know, your out shopping for your rifle
    Norm66, Bekkers and Aceoky like this.

Nice shooting! What a nice day at the range!

I've been trying some of that crappy TulAmmo for my AR. It's really inexpensive but so far it goes bang. Half the price of other ammo. It has a weird smell when it fires and probably really dirties up everything but then I get to take it apart and clean it more. I enjoy that too - it's super simple.

Ps: I hope Becky finds one with her name on it to call her own!
    Carpe Diem
    "Winter Is Coming"

Distinguished Member Array 5lima30ret's Avatar
    There are support groups for the AR's, they usually meet at your LGS!
    Bekkers and Norm66 like this.
    Retired Police Lieutenant, Retired USAF Reserve, Glock Armorer, NC CWP, HR-218 Qualified
    Second generation American, Third generation Legionnaire
    "I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me" Phil 4:13

Cool. Nice shooting. "Becky's" rifle now. Sorry for your loss Norm.
    bmcgilvray, Norm66 and Bekkers like this.

Welcome to the club!
    Norm66 and Bekkers like this.
    R.M.G.O.-Member
    NRA-Life Member

" already in discussions to get Becky her own rifle now"

I hate to break it to ya, but it's already a done deal:)
    Ask me how I know.
    image.jpg
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

We didn't get to go shooting again today. :-( lol I'm ready to go again!

[QUOTE=glockman10mm;3254393]" already in discussions to get Becky her own rifle now"

I hate to break it to ya, but it's already a done deal:)
    QUOTE]

Glad you guys had a great time with your new AR. So you are satisfied with that bushnell? I've been looking at one for my AK for a while now. I should have known that getting an AK with rails could get expensive.. ;)

C39 Centurion AKM 7.62x39
    Marlin XT 17hmr
    Marlin XT 22lr
    Model 94 Winchester 30-30
    Benelli Nova 12 gauge
    CZ75B Omega 9mm
    M9130 Mosin Nafant 7.62x54R
    Remington 514 22lr
    Mossberg 500 (sold)
    Ruger SR22 (sold)
    Glock 17 (sold)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast