NRA High Power Rifle Match

This is a discussion on NRA High Power Rifle Match within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Well, I started the NRA High Power Rifle Match last month with my Colt LE6920MP. I've only been out a few times with it so ...

Like Tree14Likes
  • 2 Post By Firearm.Fan.Girl
  • 1 Post By ppkheat
  • 1 Post By glockcoma
  • 1 Post By Firearm.Fan.Girl
  • 1 Post By rocky
  • 3 Post By Norm66
  • 3 Post By gasmitty
  • 1 Post By bmcgilvray
  • 1 Post By Firearm.Fan.Girl

Thread: NRA High Power Rifle Match

NRA High Power Rifle Match

Well, I started the NRA High Power Rifle Match last month with my Colt LE6920MP. I've only been out a few times with it so I thought I'd jump right in! What a hoot! I have a home defense set-up with a red dot but only iron sights are allowed at 100yds. We shoot:

1) 20 rounds standing single feed 10 minutes
    2) 10 sitting with a 2-round mag changing to an 8-round mag in 70 seconds
    3) 10 prone same as #2
    4) 10 prone single feed 10 minutes

I need to workout my upper body more! That rifle is heavy and I'm lucky to hit the paper - never mind the target. I do the best by miles in the rapid fire prone #3.

So, now the truth will come out. The 2 times I have been out I scored dead last out of a field of about 18 guys and one other gal. Out of 500 points, I scored 183 the first time and 146 the second time. It really doesn't bother me because I'm getting out and shooting.

I am all about self defense and this weapon is for home defense so I am going to take a different tack next time. I'm putting the red dot optic back on and will shoot with HD in mind. Also, at 62 my eyes just can't get the iron sights well. I'll get disqualified at the end of the match but I don't think they'll kick me out. A casual group shoots "practical rifle" after the match. 6 silhouette targets on a 8' piece of rosin paper at 100 yds. 10 shots in 90 seconds, any position, and you have to get at least 1 on each silhouette! I'm in!
    glockcoma and bmcgilvray like this.
    Carpe Diem

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    Good for you, I'm almost 62 and I know what you're saying about eyesight. I've signed up my adult son and daughter in a high power rifle clinic scheduled soon.
    Firearm.Fan.Girl likes this.
    Turn the election's in 2014 to a "2A Revolution". It will serve as a 1994 refresher not to "infringe" on our Second Amendment. We know who they are now.........SEND 'EM HOME. Our success in this will be proportional to how hard we work to make it happen.

Good on you!

I shot the Nationals years ago, for more than 10 years. Started with a service grade Garand, went to a Bushmaster Match target, and shot the last five years with my trusted M1A National Match. Set me back big bucks, but I shot the 30 better than the AR.

The AR, be it standard or Match grade, can be handloaded to spectacular results. Don't get caught in the hype that you need a 1/7 barrel either, as 1/9 will stabilize the 68 Hornaday/69 Sierra quite fine!

Good luck, practice, and practice more! I do hope that you reload....
    Last edited by glockcoma; May 11th, 2014 at 02:56 PM.
    What are you prepared to do.....

Quote Originally Posted by glockcoma View Post
    Good on you!

I shot the Nationals for more than 10 years. Started with a service grade Garand, went to a Bushmaster Match target, and shot the last five years with my trusted M1A National Match. Set me back big bucks, but I shot the 30 better than the AR.

Good luck, practice, and practice more!
    My range does 2 relays. The experienced rated guys like you are in the first relay and I get there early to watch. It's a beautiful thing to behold!
    glockcoma likes this.
    Carpe Diem

Lead Moderator
    High power is great for precision marksmanship , although expensive to shoot. I did so as a junior competitor years ago.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

That sounds great. Don't worry about finishing last, just being there shooting makes you awesome.

Some people are spoutin' off like 62 is old or sumpin'...
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

I ain't quite to 62 yet but assuming the sitting and prone positions isn't as speedy for me as it used to be.

Good for you, Firearm.Fan.Girl! Glad to read of someone taking up the "best" shooting sport of all. Riflery!

Magic things, rifles...
    “No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

Yeah, I was a little creaky the next day but it was a good creaky!

I just wish I got into the firearms "sport" when I was 29 instead of 59. Maybe I'd be at the head of the pack now!
    bmcgilvray likes this.
    Carpe Diem

Links