Home Defense: 7.62 x 39mm pistol w/ brace.

This is a discussion on Home Defense: 7.62 x 39mm pistol w/ brace. within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Hello everyone, Looking for my next homestead defense weapon. I'm very interested in the sig 7.62x39 556ix ak or the pap m92 ak with a ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree36Likes

Thread: Home Defense: 7.62 x 39mm pistol w/ brace.

Hello everyone,

Looking for my next homestead defense weapon.

I'm very interested in the sig 7.62x39 556ix ak or the pap m92 ak with a brace. I want a brace gun for transportation/ truck gun reasons.

Looking for opinions.

Currently I have a 9mm on my person in the home, but for "big rigs" I only have a .300 win mag and benelli sbe w/ 3.5" magnum shells.

I live in the Detroit metro area (but in the country side) with my closest neighbor being 3/8 a mile away. We have had many home invasions in the past 5 years for comfort. (Yes I have an alarm and secure access points).

Thank you,
    Ron.

I thought it a horrible idea... till I read your post. Your logic, in combo with your specific situational needs, seems pretty good to me.

As long as you verify reliability I'm sure that will serve you will. I certainly wouldn't want my smallest power leap to be from a 9mm directly to a .300 Win Mag either. The 30-rd mags full of powerful, but still manageable, cartridges should help you sleep quite well at night.

An AK pistol with an arm brace would make a great HD weapon in my opinion. I keep a full size AK next to the bed as my weapon.

For a "truck gun" have you considered a bull-pup? The handle well in confined spaces (i.e. truck) and give you a bit more fire control over the pap.
    WrongRecroom and DingBat like this.
    KNOWLEDGE: A tomato is a fruit.
    WISDOM: Not putting a tomato in a fruit salad.

VIP Member
    NOVA...200 square miles surrounded by reality
    I would go 223. AT close distances 223 is going to have fairly good performance. Also in a pinch if something goes down 7.62x39 being an imported round will be harder to find.
    StormRhydr likes this.
    “Are you a thermometer or a thermostat, do you reflect or become what is happening in the room or do you change the atmosphere, reset the temperature when you come into the room”?--Chuck Swindoll

Its not about guns...Its about Freedom!

I love AK .. The round is basicly a 30-30

For HD /truck gun I vote underfolder ... The new paps out there are very nice guns and very compact ... Not all people like the check weld but they are dandy guns and the PAPS are good ...
    Also as for the whole oh they will ban the round etc .. Here is the thing it is now a very common round in the USA .. Hornday/Americal eagle /Winchester etc etc all make the round so even if they baned it there will still be sorces of ammo .. Also even if they ban russian ammo .. At least 3 other countries that we are OK with make it ( Romianian/Bulgrian/Urkian ) sure Urki or Russian may go but there are other sources .. So short of a all out ban on imported ammo it wont be going around ..

Mags are very cheep right now too .. If you do get it .. Get as many 30 plus mags you can and a couple sealed cans of ammo

I do like the Pistol aks .. They are very nice .. The only downside is that they dont need a buffer tube so not as much check support as you would get with a rifle .. I like the push the sling foward with the gun and brace it that way ...

As for the Sig .. Great gun but I know at least for the 556r it would not take drum mags so that is something you want to check

For truck gun I would get a PAP ak or a WSAR 10/63...Why is they are parts guns and would the easiest to ban by EO ( 556x is made here so harder to ban)

Guide The AK Buyer's Guide - A Beginner's Guide to the AK Platform (ask all new AK questions in here) - AR15.COM

Check out the gun in person if you can .. Pull the charging handle back see if it smoth ..Check the sigts for cant
    “Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.” H.L. Mencken
    "Vous ne les laisserez pas passer, mes camarades"
    "We're surrounded. That simplifies our problem of getting to these people and killing them."Chesty Puller

Though you in MI ... Have they changed that whole weird law on if the gun mesuresed this way or that that it is a SBR even when the feds say it is not .. If so underfolding and sidefolding AK may be out and a handgun might be the best bet .. If they have changed it then I say look at underfodlers
    “Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.” H.L. Mencken
    "We're surrounded. That simplifies our problem of getting to these people and killing them."Chesty Puller

Wow, Thank you for all the great comments. I love seeing everyone's perspective on this matter.

In Michigan I believe the gun would have to have a brace and not a side folder, but again I might be wrong.

I currently have some spam cans of wolf and tul ammo for the sks (father's firearm). He lives near the city and does not keep the ammo in his household.

I would like to buy many 30 rounders plus a few short stack magazines for ease of transport.

Thanks again for the comments,
    -Ron
    EDC - HK P30 9MM
    Door Greeter - SBE W/ 3.5" Nitro Steel +P+ customs
    Hunting - Pre 64 M70 in 300 win mag.
    SHTF - Classified.

Quote Originally Posted by Olkowsr View Post
    Wow, Thank you for all the great comments. I love seeing everyone's perspective on this matter.

In Michigan I believe the gun would have to have a brace and not a side folder, but again I might be wrong.

I currently have some spam cans of wolf and tul ammo for the sks (father's firearm). He lives near the city and does not keep the ammo in his household.

I would like to buy many 30 rounders plus a few short stack magazines for ease of transport.

Thanks again for the comments,
    -Ron

I think they may have just this year changed the law on the whole OAL thing ...

Really for me the best choice for the price is the PAP ak handgun .. Intereting note the feds dont consider imported handguns as rifles thus 922r import laws is not applied .. Thus a Ak rifle would need to have 7 or more USA parts in it to be legal.. Handguns no .. So if you buy a AK handgun you are getting a pure AK nothing USA in it ( which is a good thing )

Really right now only the PAP and Arsnal are the best bet ..

There are two paps the m85 and m92 .. I have fired both they are very nice guns .. The new 85 takes 223 AR mags ( any kind I have tried GI to tapco) and works great .. They are easy guns to take apart too ..

As for mags the only mil 20 rounder mags are hungrian mags for the AMD65 but they are not as common as they were firg 20-35 buck a pop.. But AK 30 rounders are cheeep .. Firg about 10 bucks or so a pop for Romainian etc .. Russian bakerlight are very nice but 30 or so a pop

For 10 rounder I love the old double stack china com mags but they are very hard to find ... The arsnal 10 rounders are pretty good

Wolf and Tula are good ammo .. Golden tiger is good to go too .. Wolf I really like

As for rails last I looked Midwest Armanst is the only company that makes a rail that fites the pap but it is very nice and a good place to sick a magpul AFG ( legal for that last I looked)

Note aslo the feds have said it is ok to shoulder a braced pistol so that is good ...

Also if you wanted too down the road you can legal make it into a rifle with USA parts and a welded on barrel to 16.5 inches and add whatever stock you want .. But you can never make it back to a handgun without a tax stamp from the gov
    StormRhydr and Olkowsr like this.

Note the other odd thing about the PAP .. It has a massive muzzle thread pattern more then a nomral ak .. Maintcore makes a very nice brake for it I think.. But any normal AK grips fit I like the houge

Note that on a handgun you may not attace a true VFG ( foward grip ) unless it is the magpull AFG styles or the gun is at or more then 26inch OAL .. Or get a AOW or SBR stamp ...
    StormRhydr likes this.

I appreciate the ak article link (ar15) website, super helpful.

Another question has arose, why not an American made receiver? Particularly milled vs stamped. See photo attached for the one I've found on Atlantic firearms.

To me it seems something domestic like this would suffice for 50k rounds easily.

Also I plan to legally shoulder the firearm with a brace (no modifications to brace). I know its around 1k for this with brace, but it seems since it can use double stack magazines and a barrel length of 6.5", that it would be perfect for my home and range (as well as travel legally as my cpl in truck to range).

Correct me or state your opinion if I have misspoke.
    - Ron

Screenshot_2014-05-17-15-20-16.png
    EDC - HK P30 9MM
    Door Greeter - SBE W/ 3.5" Nitro Steel +P+ customs
    Hunting - Pre 64 M70 in 300 win mag.
    SHTF - Classified.

The selling point of the PAPS and the like is that they are not made here .. Looking back at AK the best ones and the ones that go for the most are no USA parts models .. These have been banned from import since 1989 .. Paps etc are the last AK you can buy that is not a parts gun.. When people in the USA start making AKS things seem to go wrong ( see the messed up barrels etc of the variouse guns ) ...

Now I know little of this guns so it could be great but I as a habit avoid USA made AK esp when you can get the pap for 500 bucks and it takes all ak mags legally

Screenshot_2014-05-17-15-20-16.png[/QUOTE]
    Olkowsr likes this.

As for Home Defense, the ak style pistol fired inside a dark room would have a very very blinding flash and very very deafening experience.

The 7.62x39 or 556x45 round is plenty powerful, but enough of the powder burns out side the barrel to cause shooter and target to loose orientation after say 3 quick shoots.

If I had to face down a home invader, I would rather use a handgun or shotgun of my choose and caliber or gauge I have confidence in.

As a trunk or truck gun the AK pistol with a brace attached, sighted in, and stocked with plenty mags would be very effective out to say 200 yards or so.

I do like the 7.62x39 better than 5.56x45 because of the heaver bullet does not seems to be effected as much by the short barrel and has good penetration.

Did I say that a ak pistol is just fun to shoot and bragging rights at the range is well worth the $.
    dean1818 likes this.
    NOT LIVING IN FEAR, JUST READY!!!
    I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness,
    nor the arrow for its swiftness,
    nor the warrior for his glory.
    I love only that which they defend.
    -J.R.R. Tolkien

Distinguished Member Array David Armstrong's Avatar
    Rifle rounds in pistols usually don't really translate that well. You will be much better off with an actual rifle, even with a folding stock, if that can meet the needs. There are good reasons you don't see many folks who count on guns to keep them alive on a regular basis using these oddball contraptions out there and instead gravitate toward far more "normal" platforms. My $.02.
    remington79 likes this.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links