Am I zeroed or does it still need work?

This is a discussion on Am I zeroed or does it still need work? within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; My AR was zeroed at 25 yards using targets adjusted for 100 yard zero shooting off a bench. Saturday, shooting the same way at 100 ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree57Likes

Thread: Am I zeroed or does it still need work?

My AR was zeroed at 25 yards using targets adjusted for 100 yard zero shooting off a bench.

Saturday, shooting the same way at 100 yards I hit the paper (8 1/2" x 11") 9 of 10 times but they weren't really groups the way they were at 25 yards. I know pop up AR sights and red dots aren't made for tack driving accuracy but I guess I was hoping for better groups than these.

Iron sights at 100 yards:

Another question, assuming I shoot some more groups and I'm still so consistently low, is the adjustment on the MBUS small enough to get the impact up to the target line? When I tried to adjust it earlier in the day I wound up so high I was barely on paper.

Red dot (Bushnell) at 100 yards:

The 5th round was all the way at the edge of the paper to the left about even with the others as I recall. Not sure what happened on that one.

It's only my 2nd time out shooting the rifle so hopefully it'll get better but would you consider the rifle zeroed with these groups or keep working at it? What is an acceptable level of accuracy at 100 yards? Not so much for winning competitions but for not getting embarrassed by the average guy at the range.

Administrator
    It should be a lot better than that; the question is is it you or the equipment?
    "Just blame Sixto"

I'm quite sure it's me.

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by Norm66 View Post
    I'm quite sure it's me.
    Sand bag the rifle and hone 'er a bit more. Then work on honing in you.
    Norm66 and kaikane0812 like this.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Adjustment gets 'em on the paper. It's trigger-time that wads 'em up! Concentrate on tight groups (regardless of POA/POI) and THEN start counting clicks.
    There are only TWO kinds of people in this world; those who describe the world as filled with two kinds of people...and those who don't.

Hey Norm66 don't beat yourself up. You said it was only second time shooting the rifle so you'll get it there. Your trigger pull will smooth out and be tearing up the center in no time. Just one small tick at a hundred yards can throw it off.

Anyway, isn't this your wife's rifle or did you break down and buy another one. She probably wore you out on the range. Where's pic of her target.
    ccw9mm and Norm66 like this.

One advantage of how it's shooting now is that you don't destroy your aiming point on the target as you are shooting.

Seriously, take a class to get your groups smaller - you're doing fine considering your trigger time and open sights.

When you made the adjustment that took your shots off paper, how many clicks - each click on the front sight moves the POI about an inch? If it bugs you a bunch you can replace the front sight post with one just a hair shorter or take a file to the one you have. FWIW, I'd leave 'er alone until your shooting is more consistent.
    Navydude and Norm66 like this.

Plant the mag bottom firmly in "the dirt" while shooting. If you have a two point attachment sling, USE IT as a shooting aid. Its old school, but it works.

Whatever you do, do NOT rest the barrel itself on something. The forend being rested is fine. Though if you want to tighten the groups fast, whip out a sling and plant that mag bottom firmly.
    Navydude and Norm66 like this.

VIP Member
    Hiding inside a bottle of Jim Beam Black.
    Zeroing at 25 yards only means you don't have to wonder where the bullet went at 100 yards. It gets you on the target. I've tried the 25 yard zeros and never found anything reliable enough to not zero again at 100. I wish it worked better because I'm good for about two hikes out to 100 yards and the back and knees are done.
    SatCong and glockman10mm like this.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

If your red dot was the TRS-25, that's a 3 MOA dot - and 3 of the 4 shots shown fell within 3 inches on the lower target. So, don't despair. More trigger time will help. And consider signing up for an Appleseed Event to get grounded in good marksmanship basics. Project Appleseed Home
    Norm66 and kaikane0812 like this.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member
    NROI Chief Range Officer

Keep shooting.
    Norm66 likes this.

every time you make an adjustment tap the turret knob to make sure it moved
    Norm66 likes this.
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Military considers a 3 inch @ 100yds to ok. When I was in the military we zero at 25 meters and it was dead on at 250 meters. At 25 meters with the M16A1 yep I'm old you could cover 3rds with a quarter no problem. Maximum effective range 450 meters at that range a 5.56 would still penetrate a still pot both sides. If you take your zero as is you would not be able to hit the broad side of a barn at 450 meters. While in the Army I never shot under Expert. M16A1 was out to 450 meters with iron sights and with the M60 (The PIG) we fired out to 1000 meters iron sights. Law was out to 600 meters and the 1911A1 was 25 meters all with iron sights. Yes you should work on your zero. The rifles we used while I was in was Vietnam issue an so were the C Rations we ate. with a red dot if you have a 5moa dot that will cover a paper plate @ 100 meters so it is easy to get horrible groups at 100 meters. But with iron sights if you are not shooting under 3 inches yes you need to work on your zero. Just trying to help not dogging on you.
    Norm66 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    Zeroing at 25 yards only means you don't have to wonder where the bullet went at 100 yards. It gets you on the target. I've tried the 25 yard zeros and never found anything reliable enough to not zero again at 100. I wish it worked better because I'm good for about two hikes out to 100 yards and the back and knees are done.
    My knees are done too. But I use a spotting scope, to fine how close my rounds are. Yes, old and lazy!
    NRA PATRON LIFE
    BROWN WATER NAVY

Quote Originally Posted by SatCong View Post
    My knees are done too. But I use a spotting scope, to fine how close my rounds are. Yes, old and lazy!
    Thats called being smart, and/or having the proper range equipment. The public range that I have frequented most, is a TN State range.

Its dangerous as can be. There are NO partitions between shooters, no range officers, NOTHING.

So walking down range is actually dangerous. Its not so bad at 25 yards. Its hard to miss someone there.

At 50 yards, its still not TOO bad. But the 100 yard range is nerve racking.

Rounds can be sent from either the 25 yard, or 50 yard stations onto the 100 yard range, and because of the design, one cant see the end of the 100 yard range from either station. Certainly not the 25 yard station, and on part of the 50 yard station.

So a spotting scope is a nice bit of safety equipment, as well, in that situation.
    Norm66 likes this.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links