Red dot for AR with 1x and 2x magnification

This is a discussion on Red dot for AR with 1x and 2x magnification within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; So I just built my first AR and I am wanting to get the best quality red dot I can get for around $100-$150. But ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree12Likes

Thread: Red dot for AR with 1x and 2x magnification

So I just built my first AR and I am wanting to get the best quality red dot I can get for around $100-$150. But I want one with 2x magnification. I don't know if it's possible, but can I get one that you can switch between 1x and 2x?

Any come to mind?

I dont know much about red dots, but they have magnifiers for them that flip out and in. I read a comparison of the cheap red dots around here you may have to search for it but irc primary arms is a good one.
    Guns don't kill people, Guns save Lives.

If you want peace, prepare for war

Vortex strikefire

Sponsor
    The Vortex Strike fire comes with a 2x magnifier that screws onto the "scope". I don't like it, but then I don't use any of my flip to the side magnifiers much either. The Strikefire RDS seems to be a good value so far. I haven't had any problems with the Primary Arms Aimpoint M4 clone that I have either, but it is mounted on a .22lr dedicated AR style plinker.

I would highly recommend saving a little more $ and getting the Aimpoint PRO it is nearly indestructible and there is no better value in RDS available now, IMHO.
    T*A*N*S*T*A*A*F*L
    The best things in life are not free.
    They are paid for with the blood of brave men and women!
    M&P Forum
    Ohioans For Concealed Carry
    Holsters

Sponsor
    I'd jump on the SPARC at that price if I needed another RDS. I may get one and sell the Strikefire as I wanted a T1 micro style sight for my Wife's AR when I got the Strikefire.

Again, Vortex has a good reputation on their optics but they are not made to the same standards as EoTech or Aimpoint.
    T*A*N*S*T*A*A*F*L
    M&P Forum
    Holsters

Sponsor
    Then again, I just went to PA's website and you can get their Micro RDS with mount and riser, a flip to side mount and 3x magnifier with long eye relief for $256.00 + shipping.

https://www.primaryarms.com/Primary-...e-p/md-06l.htm
    T*A*N*S*T*A*A*F*L
    M&P Forum
    Holsters

Distinguished Member Array Nmuskier's Avatar
    What do you want to do with this?

$100-150 is not going to get you the best quality, but it is going to get you good enough quality to get through a range session or a friendly weekend competition. Primary Arms makes great entry level red dots.

Why do you want magnification? Often it is to help with vision that doesn't feel as crisp as a few decades ago. Remember, magnifying through a red dot magnifies the dot as well. Your dot will cover more of the target. If you want to punch X's past 100m, perhaps a scope is the best tool. Most AR builds, and the ammo being run through them, aren't made for that level of accuracy anyway.

Understanding the role of the rifle will help focus on the style of optic, amount of magnification, and price.

Often, I hear. "I want CQB, SHTF, long range target accuracy, and I want to be able to hunt with it." Sorry, pal. Get another scope, and maybe another rifle.
    sensei2 likes this.

Yeah I may just save up. I bought a good quality PSA premium upper/Magpul lower build. It's my first AR, so it is my "hit the fan" rifle. I don't hunt and where I live I don't think I would need to shoot farther than 50-150 yards in a hit the fan situation. As you said, my long range internal optics are failing so a little magnificstion couldn't hurt.

Palmetto State Armory has a coupon code for aimpoint pros this weekend. They have the Aimpoint pro for sale for $415.99. use the coupon code "PRO" at checkout to get $46 off for a price of $369.99.

Durable.

Versatile.

Inexpensive.

If you do you research and shop around, you can have two of the above three in one optic. I am not aware of any option that provides all three.

The Vortex red dot options that are mentioned above are probably the lowest priced red dot that I would spend money on. My experience with cheap optics is that you'll just end up buying a replacement for them inside a year.

Please note that when I say "cheap" I am not including value-priced options like the Vortex red dots, or some of the Bushnell 3200 series. There are some great values on good, serviceable, reliable optics out there-but I think you'll be hard-pressed to find anything under about $300.
    sensei2 likes this.

Distinguished Member Array Nmuskier's Avatar
    my long range internal optics are failing so a little magnificstion couldn't hurt.
    I love it!

I have a Primary Arms red dot on my AK for range fun. It makes the rifle easy for anyone to shoot as accurately as the rifle can do out to around 100m (depending on "internal optics"!). Nothing wrong with that sight.
    My 16" PSA has an Eotech. I consider it as reliable and accurate as irons. Just faster inside 50m.

Distinguished Member Array Exacto's Avatar
    The best quality fir about 200 dollars is the Lucid HD 7. Comes with a 2x magnifier. Read the reviews, it is as good as optics costing 3 times that much.
    Let your plans be dark and impenetrable as night, and when you move, fall like a thunder bolt...... Sun Tzu.

The supreme art of war is to defeat the enemy without fighting........ Sun Tzu.

Thumbs up

I use a Burris XTS-135 1X.
    II Timothy 1:7 God has not given us the spirit of fear, but of power, love and a sound mind.

"Violence is seldom the answer, but when it is the answer it is the only answer". T. Larkin

Quote Originally Posted by Exacto View Post
    The best quality fir about 200 dollars is the Lucid HD 7. Comes with a 2x magnifier. Read the reviews, it is as good as optics costing 3 times that much.
    I see that you can buy a screw on 2x piece.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links