Marlin 336 FTE

Marlin 336 FTE

This is a discussion on Marlin 336 FTE within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I have a Marlin 336 in .30-30 that I bought a couple of years back. A few months back I was at Bass Pro with ...

Thread: Marlin 336 FTE

Marlin 336 FTE

I have a Marlin 336 in .30-30 that I bought a couple of years back. A few months back I was at Bass Pro with my father, and I stumbled upon a Bushnell combo pack, spotting scope with a 3-9X rifle scope, fow what would usually be about the price of one. He needed a spotting scope, and well, he doesn't have a rifle for that scope, but I do (awfully nice of him to give me a free scope). Anyways, back to my problem, I installed the scope over X-mas break (most of my firearms reside in my parent's gunsafe, and do not come to C-bus) and took it out to zero it in. Out of my box of 20 rounds, I had 5 that did not eject properly. As I worked the lever, the empty brass would just stay in the receiever, and I would have to rotate the weapon so that gravity would do the work of getting the casing out of the rifle. I don't recall having this problem before, but then again, the rifle sees maybe 100 rounds a year. (prolly about 250 through it). Any ideas on what would be causing this problem?
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

Hard to say

Hard to diagnose from a distance, but I'd suggest a good disassembly and cleaning as a starting point. If you're not comfortable doing it with that particular rifle, maybe a quick trip to the gun plumber.

Already did the disassembly and cleaning. But Ill have to wait a month or two prolly before I can shoot it again due to work and stuff. Hadn't had the problem before, and I was thinking about it one night and decided to see if anyone had any ideas about it. I thought the scope might have some bearing on it, but upon further thinking that doesnt make much sense. Maybe the extractor wasn't grabbing the casings or something.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Administrator
    Might be an ammo problem, lever actions tend to be a little sensitive... also are you really flicking the lever all the way forward? Most common reason for this is short stroking and moving the lever to slow.

Ammo was Remington Core-Lokt 170 soft points, which is all I have ever shot out of it. I was shooting it from a benchrest position to zero it in, which I don't usually do, so maybe I was short-stroking it because of that.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Administrator
    That ammo should be fine. Could have some thing gummed up near the port but my bet is short stroking.

Well, it is in Cincy, and I am in C-bus, and I work weekends so I won't see it or any of my other rifles till spring break probably. All of my firearms get a good cleaning after every range session they are used in or before I have to go away for a couple of months. Short stroking on my part due to it being bench-rested very well coulda been the problem, thanks for the help.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Links