Got me a Big Mak Attack

This is a discussion on Got me a Big Mak Attack within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I have been wanting to purchase my first AK and with prices finally coming down I decided now was a good time to start looking. ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree17Likes

Thread: Got me a Big Mak Attack

Got me a Big Mak Attack

I have been wanting to purchase my first AK and with prices finally coming down I decided now was a good time to start looking. Well after much much research and being completely confused by all the different models and makers and importers and mag wobble and the stock is too short and my AR is better than your AK I was ready to give up. There were only two things that the majority of people could agree on 1. Arsenal makes a great AK and 2. The old Mak 90 was a very well built AK. Well Arsenal is way out of my price range so off in search of a Mak I went.....WOW Maks arent cheap. Look them up they are starting in the 700 range and topping out in the 1500 range, yes I know that's what the seller is asking and probably not what they will get but, yikes!!!! Eventually I found a no reserve auction on a Norinco Mak 90 with the funky fiberforce stock and got in on the bidding and yay me I won with a bid of $500. Rifle came in and I am very happy with its condition, nice clean barrel and nothing wrong with it that a good cleaning didn't take care of, well the stock did have some wear on it that bothered me a bit but some Rustoleum took care of that. I'm still up in the air about the stock and the color I used but I must admit it's growing on me. Oh yeah here are some pictures.
    image.jpg image.jpg
    Attached Images
    Those are my principles, and if you don't like them.....well, I have others.

2. Remove Ads

What kind of reciver back ? Staight cut or salnted ?

See the Maks had two cuts on the reciver back.. One means you are stuck with that kind of stock or a timberwolf wood one .. The other kind is a normal AK cut and any stock will fit ... That said for 500 bucks that is a good price for a gun that has not been imported since the early 90s

This was one of the last guns to come in with a mag well that will use normal double stack AK mags .. So less issues with wobble ...

I would 922r it and put a nice china wood stock and grip on there and have a smith thread the barrel and maybe add a bayo lug and take it back to way it was meant to be as a type 56 ( or 56s in our cases )

They have to have that kind of stock on them to be legal to import back when you could ...

They are nice rifles ...

The AK Buyer's Guide - A Beginner's Guide to the AK Platform (ask all new AK questions in here) - AR15.COM
    Aceoky likes this.
    "Vous ne les laisserez pas passer, mes camarades"
    I am not a lawyer .. Just a dog typing on the internet ..Spelling media apparatus male portatili. Malo me non reprehendo
    "We're surrounded. That simplifies our problem of getting to these people and killing them."Chesty Puller

I am not sure on the hanguard but if you can make sure they are metal lined I have had AKS with chepo non metal lined handguards that melted into the gun ...

Just note that legal you can not put a normal stock or pistol grip on this or a thread barrel or a bayo lug .. Has any one ever been arrested for doing that no .. But still it is tec no no ..
    I am not a lawyer .. Just a dog typing on the internet ..Spelling media apparatus male portatili. Malo me non reprehendo
    "We're surrounded. That simplifies our problem of getting to these people and killing them."Chesty Puller

MAK 90 slant or straight cut? - AR15.Com Archive

you want this cut on the receiver if you want to put a normal stock on there ... They stop doing that cut and cut it weird latter one as people were modding them with normal stock etc during the 94 ban years / violating 922r laws

And if you ever have question PM me I will do what I can to answer ...

Aks are weird esp on the importers etc

really know this :

1. Pre 1989 gun like the first china guns and Maddi from egpty are the best and the most costly theese are pure built AK no USA made parts and they have bayo lugs and all that good stuff on them as is ..
    2. After 1989 and the ban you saw stuff like what you have the thumbhole stocks etc ..and for a short time pure built ak but just made here .. That went away with 922r
    3. Now any AK you see is either imported like that and has the mag well opened up to take normal mags and 922R parts are added to be at least 7

Right now the gov has banned the imported of guns with normal AK mags well .. The maks and some of the Sar and other guns were the last to come in with normal mag wells .. Also right now Barrels for AKS are banned from import so most current AKS unless converted Thumbhole guns are going to have USA made barrels and recivers some good some are very very bad ..

Why any china gun is pricy is that by EO back in the 90s all China guns and ammo were banned from import save sporting shotguns .. So even 1989 ban oked guns like the Maks were banned never to be imported again ..

Also what you have is tec a type 56s rifle made post 89 ..You will see 56s gun that have been restamped mak 90 and moddy as they were caught up in the 89 ban

WrongRec thanks for the info/offer. It's a stamped receiver with the straight cut, thankfully. I'm up in the air on what changes to make on it regarding stocks and hand guards so for the immediate future I'm going to keep it stock and save up some dough for future changes. I did get a bit confused with the whole, some are built before 89 then sat around in wharehouses until they got shipped over years later info that I found on the internet. I understand that some fitting will be necessary on stocks and hand guards due to the thicker receiver and thicker barrel but that's a trade off I'm happy to make for a thicker receiver/hand guard. Oh and the trigger on this thing is AWSOME compared to all other AK's I have fired.

Quote Originally Posted by Rabbit212 View Post
    WrongRec thanks for the info/offer. It's a stamped receiver with the straight cut, thankfully. I'm up in the air on what changes to make on it regarding stocks and hand guards so for the immediate future I'm going to keep it stock and save up some dough for future changes. I did get a bit confused with the whole, some are built before 89 then sat around in wharehouses until they got shipped over years later info that I found on the internet. I understand that some fitting will be necessary on stocks and hand guards due to the thicker receiver and thicker barrel but that's a trade off I'm happy to make for a thicker receiver/hand guard. Oh and the trigger on this thing is AWSOME compared to all other AK's I have fired.

Yep the chinnese triggers are very very nice .. One of my fav folding stocks ACE has a custom fitted block for the china com AK ... And they are USA made parts .. So if you wanted to keep the trigger on that I would use that stock and say a Houge grip and USA mags ( only ) and you should I think be ok .. Or fit non USA mags with USA springs and floor plates ...

Note also there are two style stocks out there NATO and Wasar pact .. Wasar pact is like the WSAR 10 size stocks .. Some big american like me find them rather small and use Nato or folding stock

Some of the best surplus folders are the E german ones about 160 or so for them but not USA made so part count issues ..

And big big congrats for getting the right mak for 500 that is a steal right now

And yeah there are a lof of caugt in the ban gun out there some in fact still have muzzle threaed on them under a welded cap

Congrats again man

Also you may find Tapco etc mags to be a very tight fit.. For my pre ban sks m tapco dont really work ... So metal mags might be the way to go .. E german and China are very nice but Romianin work fine and are like 10 bucks a pop

Also many ranges wont let you shoot alot of the x39 ammo .. Best bet is either the Bulgarian Arsenal stuff or the new copper tip rounds Red army is making ...

Take note that any yugo ammo you find will be corrisve so take note .. Bear/wolf/red army /gold tiger etc should not be

If you find china com ammo that is steel core and good stuff rare now as it is banned AP ammo

I find wolf seems to run great . Bear ammo brown that is is good but rather greasy and coated at least for the handgun stuff

Most of my ammo is either wolf /tula or golden tiger ... I do have some old old E german and such but that is SHTF ammo

Drum mags .. I like the Romainin rear folders for like 80 bucks good bet .. The china com are great but like 200-300 bucks a pop now .. Again due to being banned

You'll like your Mak.

The steel is heavier, the build is better, and it's yours.
    Aceoky and Brady like this.

Yes so far I have been very impressed with this firearm, the feel in comparison to other ak's is just so much better. There is a nice solid feel to the rifle that is missing in a lot of ak's, heavier but not heavy, tighter, more "substantial".
    Aceoky likes this.

Beautiful gun. Im a fan of wood furniture because its classic, but no matter what you do, thats a very cool gun. Id love to fondle and shoot one.
    Rabbit212 and WrongRecroom like this.

Thanks Chuck. I really do like this rifle the more I fire it and work on it the more it grows on me, next to my Mosin M44 it's getting to be my favorite. I am changing out the color to something a bit darker and flatter, I like this color but I live in south Texas and the sun down here is brutal and the shine/reflection with this color is a bit much. Stay tuned for new pics.
    Sister likes this.

Awesome and congratulations!
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    In Gibson v. Commonwealth, 237 Ky. 33, 34 S.W.2d 936 (1936), the High Court stated:  [I]t is the tradition that a Kentuckian never runs.   He does not have to.

Jon Consiglio had a very nice thread on painting guns. You ought to refer to that thread. You'll be glad you did.
    Aceoky likes this.

Thanks R/G I will look it up.
    Aceoky likes this.

Distinguished Member Array Brady's Avatar
    Nice catch!
    ...he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one. Luke 22:36
    USN/VET; NRA; GOA, jpfo.org
    Life in a Jar: The Irena Sendler Project www.irenasendler.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links