Got my new 9mm Beretta CX4 Storm Carbine!

This is a discussion on Got my new 9mm Beretta CX4 Storm Carbine! within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Looks like I caught a break! I went to pick up my Storm this morning and my NICS returned the dreaded "delay" . It sucks ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree18Likes

Thread: Got my new 9mm Beretta CX4 Storm Carbine!

Got my new 9mm Beretta CX4 Storm Carbine!

Looks like I caught a break! I went to pick up my Storm this morning and my NICS returned the dreaded "delay". It sucks but I resigned myself to maybe not being able to get it til Monday. But the girl at the FFL shop called me about seven o'clock and told she got the 'proceed'! I had just time to run up there and pick up the gun and get to the range for a brief shakedown. I was having dinner with my brother so he tagged along. I had a couple hundred rounds of 9mm 115gr WWB with me and tossed a couple .22 pistols in my range bag, too. Figured my brother could try the Storm, try out my new-to-him Ruger LCR and bust a few caps with the .22 LRs.

I had little to no time to get familiar with the gun, had to hot-foot it right up to the range. First impression is WOW what a value! My HK USC cost me $1600 and came in a cardboard box. Two mags but no rail sections, nothing. The Storm on the other hand ships in a very nice little hard case. It's not fancy but it fits the gun well and is well made. The case is designed in a way that even with the stubby VFG and Inforce APL attached it still goes back in. Nice! Mine shipped with a top rail already attached and one short rail section in the box. It also had two 15 round mags. With Bud's you sometimes don't know what you'll get until you open the box so I was relieved to find that mine does indeed take 92 mags. In anticipation of getting the gun I already bought two x 30 round mags and the tri-rail section.

Not really about the gun itself but that tri-rail piece is a little bit on the flimsy side. I don't think it would break or come off and all the accessories fit fine but there's a little flex in it. I'll note that I saved about 40% by purchasing a third party rail, not a genuine Beretta one. You probably get what you pay for but it will work fine I think. Down the road I may replace it with individual rail sections. Or maybe not.

The carbine is very intuitive to operate, and I didn't need to consult the manual to run it. Although I will admit it took me a minute to figure out how to eject the mag. I tried the safety a couple times and the darn mag wouldn't pop out! I admit it- I've been running almost all HKs for so long that I naturally expect the mag release to be a paddle. Once I figured it out all was well.

I was really surprised at the recoil of the Storm! My brother was taken aback, too. It isn't enough to bother you or cause a flinch just a lot more than you would expect from shooting 9mm out of a pistol. Probably because it's blowback with a large bolt. My HK USC also has a bit more snap to it than people think it will for being a .45 ACP.

When talking about my USC I describe it as a $1600 gun with a trigger like a stapler! But it feels like a Geissele compared to the Storm! The Storm might have the worst trigger I've ever felt on a gun. It doesn't ruin the accuracy at pistol distance but I almost certainly will be doing an upgrade. Is SP the only game in town for aftermarket triggers?

The sights were really terrible for me, with one caveat that I will mention in a moment. Indoors even with the large/SR (short range) rear aperture the front sight was completely invisible to me. Both my brother and I had to turn our targets around and shoot at the back of them. My first five shot group was literally 12" across at 15 yards! I shot a 3" group with the first five shots out of my 2" LCR. Once I had a white spot to shoot at the bullets went almost into the same hole. The gun is accurate! Only when I got home did I realize that the rear peep could be folded completely down and out of the way. Like I said, no time to get acquainted before the first range trip.

I found the handling and ergos to be superb. My brother is 6"3" and felt the LOP was too short. I like it as is but I told him there are spacers you can add. Somehow I thought it came with them but I see you have to purchase them separately. Not an issue to me since I like the shortness of the Storm.

Overall I'm very very happy with my new Storm! It shoots very well, and while the sights suck they're as good as the sights on my HK USC, and I plan to get an M21 or an Aimpoint anyway. In the interim I will probably try to paint the front sight or something. I will probably see if by dumb luck there's some other pin that will fit that hole.

For the record I love my little Storm! I foresee many many boxes of ammo getting burned in the next few weeks!
    "When Fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross." - Sinclair Lewis

“You can tell whether a man is clever by his answers. You can tell whether a man is wise by his questions.” - Naguib Mahfouz

2. Remove Ads

Pistol Caliber Carbines are a lot of fun.

But now we need pics!
    "Was there no end to the conspiracy of irrational prejudice against Red Ryder and his peacemaker?"

Revolvers, “more elegant weapons for a more civilized age.”

Soon! This is embarrassing but I still haven't found my camera. I put it somewhere 'for safe keeping' which probably means my family will find it a couple months after I die! I will try to get a few pics with my cell phone camera (my Galaxy S4 has a decent camera, just no tripod).
    "When Fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross." - Sinclair Lewis

“You can tell whether a man is clever by his answers. You can tell whether a man is wise by his questions.” - Naguib Mahfouz

Okay, here are a few from my S4:

Here are a couple of my HK USC .45 ACP (wearing a Surefire X300 Ultra) and the Storm CX4 9mm carbine (equipped with an Inforce APL):

Distinguished Member Array 5lima30ret's Avatar
    Congrats! I always liked the Storms even though I have not owned one...yet! Even though I have an AR, I have always had a soft spot for pistol caliber carbines they are just so fun to shoot! Many people don't realize that some pistol cartridges are significantly faster in a carbine vs handgun! Enjoy!
    Phaedrus likes this.
    Retired Police Lieutenant, Retired USAF Reserve, Glock Armorer, NC CWP, HR-218 Qualified
    Second generation American, Third generation Legionnaire
    "I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me" Phil 4:13

I always loved these guns!
    Phaedrus likes this.
    Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet. – Gen James Mattis USMC

92 or storm mags ? You do know you can change the mags well types if you want to switch from 92 to storm mags etc ... I know as I have two conversion kits

My only beef is that last I looked unlily say the HSC no one is making 922r kits for these ... I would like to get one and make it a silencer host but right now that is a no go on 922r side

Still would like to get on for a plinker though
    Phaedrus likes this.
    "Vous ne les laisserez pas passer, mes camarades"
    I am not a lawyer .. Just a dog typing on the internet ..Spelling media apparatus male portatili. Malo me non reprehendo
    "We're surrounded. That simplifies our problem of getting to these people and killing them."Chesty Puller

I have a CX4 Storm .40cal. It's very accurate, there's no movement off target and minimum recoil.

Completely sweet carbine.

fltsfshr
    Phaedrus likes this.
    I collect all forms of disguised firearms. jewelry guns, wallet guns, and others. Most of my collection is pinfire from the 19th century. Have one and want to sell it, let me know.

Congrats!!!!
    Phaedrus likes this.

I've wanted a Storm for some time. I must admit I'm a bit jealous. Shoot the crap out of that thing!
    Phaedrus likes this.

I keep the rear sight folded down and use the tube of my Truglo gobble stopper as a giant ghost ring. Turned on, the Truglo presents a red ring designed for turkeys but just as good for larger targets. I have a 3/4 inch light mounted on one of the side rails. I played around with a laser but decided that it just gets in the way at room distances.
    Phaedrus likes this.

I like mine :)

Phaedrus likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by WrongRecroom View Post
    92 or storm mags ? You do know you can change the mags well types if you want to switch from 92 to storm mags etc ... I know as I have two conversion kits

My only beef is that last I looked unlily say the HSC no one is making 922r kits for these ... I would like to get one and make it a silencer host but right now that is a no go on 922r side

Still would like to get on for a plinker though
    Mine takes 92 mags. It came with 2 x 15 round, I already had 2 x 30 round and I just ordered 2 x 20 round MG from Midway. Man, if you have an extra conversion magwell you should post it over at Beretta forums! Those things are backordered and hard to get. As far as 922r I think you can get enough stuff from Sierra Papa to do full compliance if you want. I haven't studied compliance for that gun too extensively since I plan to leave it more or less stock. If I find the extra cash I'll maybe do the Flat top rail conversion. It's expensive but there's no 922r issues with doing it. I also want to get upgraded trigger internals since the trigger is beyond dreadful.

Nice, Shipwreck! I'm still trying to decide between the M21 and the Aimpoint.

Quote Originally Posted by Phaedrus View Post
    Mine takes 92 mags. It came with 2 x 15 round, I already had 2 x 30 round and I just ordered 2 x 20 round MG from Midway. Man, if you have an extra conversion magwell you should post it over at Beretta forums! Those things are backordered and hard to get. As far as 922r I think you can get enough stuff from Sierra Papa to do full compliance if you want. I haven't studied compliance for that gun too extensively since I plan to leave it more or less stock. If I find the extra cash I'll maybe do the Flat top rail conversion. It's expensive but there's no 922r issues with doing it. I also want to get upgraded trigger internals since the trigger is beyond dreadful.

Nice, Shipwreck! I'm still trying to decide between the M21 and the Aimpoint.
    Sweet thanks for the 922r stuff .. Been wanting to do a 922r 45 cal or maybe 9mm for a long time for a silencer gun ... Hmm added another project to the pile

Try the 17 rounder 92a1 mags they are nice for 92 rifles back when I had a few 92 mag guns that is what I ran that and the 20 round mecgears like them both

Thanks !
    Phaedrus likes this.
    "Vous ne les laisserez pas passer, mes camarades"
    I am not a lawyer .. Just a dog typing on the internet ..Spelling media apparatus male portatili. Malo me non reprehendo
    "We're surrounded. That simplifies our problem of getting to these people and killing them."Chesty Puller

I think the 20 round MecGars that I have coming from Midway will be awesome for this carbine. They're slightly longer than the stock 15 rounder which will be nice; the 15 rounders don't quite stick out the bottom of the gun. You can't 'slap' them in with your palm. The MC should be long enough to seat this way. Right now I'm keeping a 30 rounder in it (as pictured).
    WrongRecroom likes this.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links