Should I go to an Appleseed shoot?

This is a discussion on Should I go to an Appleseed shoot? within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I just found out that there is an Appleseed shoot this next weekend twenty minutes away from me. I already have a Ruger 10/22 with ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree35Likes

Thread: Should I go to an Appleseed shoot?

I just found out that there is an Appleseed shoot this next weekend twenty minutes away from me. I already have a Ruger 10/22 with Tech Sights, one last brick of .22 I can use, a sling, etc. However, I also would need the following within the next week, which adds to the sixty dollar flat cost.
    -Tech Sights adjustment tool
    -Something to lie prone on
    -A second magazine

I can probably hustle a bit and get all those by Saturday, but has anyone gone to an Appleseed and have feelings on how cost-effective and beneficial it was?

Senior Moderator
    I attended one about eight years ago, not knowing what it was all about. We used center fire rifles mostly though some .22s were on the line.

For a person unfamiliar with rifles and position shooting it would have had some benefit however for a person who regularly shoots in competition it was a day of tedium.

For an alternative, locate a small bore match or high-power match in your area. There will be friendly folks there who will advise and assist a newcomer and a few matches under your belt will make you much a much more well-rounded and accomplished shooter ... and this will translate to your handgun shooting as well.
    ChrisATX, pgrass101 and Recon1342 like this.
    Charter Member of the DC .41 LC Society "Get heeled! No really"

“No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

If you are not already a competitor, it will be a good start to becoming one. Its very condensed . But it gives good basic instruction. DR

VIP Member
    St. Louis, MO "The Most Dangerous City in America"
    I thought it was mostly for kids. I've read their literature, and I'm 100% behind the idea of every citizen being a rifleman.
    19Kvet, kaikane0812 and mano3 like this.
    “Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive." C.S. Lewis

VIP Member
    Go they will have a shooting mat for you to use and somebody there will be able to help you with the tech sites. Tell them your low an ammo, we have over 5000 rounds of 22Lr just for Appleseeds. I am an instructor here in WI and its a great time. Bring your wife, or girlfriend
    Fast is fine, but accuracy is everything.
    Wyatt Earp

Quote Originally Posted by Highwayman View Post
    I just found out that there is an Appleseed shoot this next weekend twenty minutes away from me. I already have a Ruger 10/22 with Tech Sights, one last brick of .22 I can use, a sling, etc. However, I also would need the following within the next week, which adds to the sixty dollar flat cost.
    -Tech Sights adjustment tool
    -Something to lie prone on
    -A second magazine

I can probably hustle a bit and get all those by Saturday, but has anyone gone to an Appleseed and have feelings on how cost-effective and beneficial it was?
    Why an extra mag? I read over what to bring, and didnt see any mention of that. What am I missing?

EDIT: Never mind. I found the part about # of extra mags to bring.

I've never shot one of these but the something to lay on could be a $20 yoga mat you can get a WW or most dept. stores nowadays. I would say try it.
    StormRhydr likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark_in_wi View Post
    I've never shot one of these but the something to lay on could be a $20 yoga mat you can get a WW or most dept. stores nowadays. I would say try it.
    Agree. Under "how to prepare", they say an old piece of carpet will work.

Senior Moderator
    I highly recommend the Appleseed shoot. If you have never had formal instruction in marksmanship, there is much to be learned. The history lessons which accompany the shooting instruction are a valuable incentive for the marginally educated.

You don't absolutely 'need' a front sight tool if you can get your hands on a 5.56 (.223) FMJ round or similar implement - but I do recommend at least 3 mags.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member
    NROI Chief Range Officer

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by gasmitty View Post
    I highly recommend the Appleseed shoot. If you have never had formal instruction in marksmanship, there is much to be learned. The history lessons which accompany the shooting instruction are a valuable incentive for the marginally educated.

You don't absolutely 'need' a front sight tool if you can get your hands on a 5.56 (.223) FMJ round or similar implement - but I do recommend at least 3 mags.
    yes mag changes are a big part of the shoot. they will supply chamber flags.

show us your "rifleman" patch when you get it.
    Wyatt Earp

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by MrBuckwheat View Post
    show us your "rifleman" patch when you get it.
    The smiles are optional...

MrBuckwheat and mano3 like this.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member
    NROI Chief Range Officer

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by gasmitty View Post
    The smiles are optional...

congrats you are man of men!
    Wyatt Earp

Lead Moderator
    Yes go
    A real man loves his wife, and places his family as the most important thing in life. Nothing has brought me more peace and content in life than simply being a good husband and father.

Looks like I'm in. Ordered a second mag and sight tool off eBay, reserving my spot now. Will either use an old poncho or a rug for my ground cover.

I have to admit I'm not the best shot, getting Rifleman would be an amazing twist of fate. How many attempts do you get at the AQT in the two-day class?

VIP Member Array Civil_Response's Avatar
    Appleseed is great! I'd love to do another one someday, but I'll wait until my kids are ready as I'd love for them to go through it as well. I went by myself last time and had a blast (no pun intended).

Day one you get a handful of tries, day two is almost non-stop AQT's. The two day course is what I recommend, so good choice.

Toss out anything you already know, and be open to new ideas and ways of doing things and you'll do very well.

Go, enjoy, and experience all that is Appleseed!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links