M1 Carbine Opinions

This is a discussion on M1 Carbine Opinions within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I have one I inherited from my grandpa. Fun to shoot. My father-in-law can still field strip it blindfolded after 40 years of not handling ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: M1 Carbine Opinions

I have one I inherited from my grandpa. Fun to shoot. My father-in-law can still field strip it blindfolded after 40 years of not handling one. I shoot only the cheapest hardball I can find, and it is 100% reliable. If it didn't have any sentimental value, I would sell it in a heartbeat and get something like a mini-14. The round is worthless, IMO. My .357 is a better coyote buster. But it is a fun one to plink with.
    These things we do that others may live - USAF Air Rescue Motto

2. Remove Ads

Senior Moderator
    I have a Plainfeild M-1 and quite enjoy it.

I have a hard time finding reliable maazines for it. Most of the Mil surplus ones one the market are from SE asia and of questionable quality.

The good thing is they are cheap and you can buy alot and mark the good ones and the rest are range fodder.

The .30 carbine round has more down ranage energy at 100 yds than a .357 has at 50 yds. Just don't expect it to be a battle rifle. It is a defensive rifle that is light weight, very fun to shoot and reliable.

Have fun, wolf makes good .30 carbine ammo if your universal will handle it.

Distinguished Member Array SixBravo's Avatar
    Nah I wouldn't consider the Carbine to be a battle rifle. If I wanted a good surplus battle rifle, I would snag the Garand or an M14.

Kinda surprised to hear that about the energy downrage! That's pretty neat! Makes sense though. Just using some front-sight press and some dead reckoning I was hitting a man-sized target at like 200 yards fairly consistantly.
    The Gunsite Blog
    ITFT / Quick Kill Review
    "It is enough to note, as we have observed, that the American people have considered the handgun to be the quintessential self-defense weapon." - Justice Scalia, SCOTUS - DC v Heller - 26 JUN 2008

M1 Carbine.
    I like 'em. Nice little gun. So-so round.

People seem to think it's either wonderful or junk. I've read a lot of favorable reports from war veterans, and a lot of bad. Audie Murphy loved 'em.

Most of the bad reports of stopping power I've seen/heard/read came from the Korean War. That makes sense. They were being used against attacking hordes who were wrapped in insulated heavy cotton duck clothing (which alone probably reduced effectiveness considerably), numbed by cold, and whipped into a frenzy by the charge (and possibly opium).
    By contrast, WWII use of the carbine was largely in the Pacific, against nearly-starved Japanese soldiers who might also be sick with Malaria or any number of tropical diseases.
    Results would naturally differ.

Good hollow or soft point ammo should help, BUT make sure it works in your gun. Many won't feed anything but ball (my Winchester won't). I do want to try the CorBon DPX, but don't have high hopes. A polishing of the feed area would help, but I can't bring myself to do it to an otherwise original carbine when I have other rifles to use.

I've had no problems using 15-rd GI magazines, which are still fairly cheap (though not the three for a buck they were not that long ago). The 30-rd magazines are tricky. Most I see are not GI, and you have to be careful. The 30-rd mags really need the M2 Carbine magazine catch also. It has an extra "tooth" to engage an added catch on the magzine- all this was done due to the greater weight of a 30-rd mag was often too much for the original catch.

Be careful of mag pouches, because the "teeth" on the magazines are sharp and can rip up some commercial pouches I've seen. It's OK with GI pouches, but I have a couple of Kydex ones that are chewed up.

I've heard bad accuracy reports, but I've never seen one personally that shot poor. I have to wonder about the condition of the suspect guns. Stock bedding and barrel band pressure can have an effect, so that may be the culprit with them.

I took a carbine class last year, and debated on using the M1 Carbine because I like it as a "house gun". I stayed with an AR, but another shooter used an M1 Carbine. He kept up with, or bettered, those of us using gee-whizzed ARs.

I still like the Carbine as a "house gun", and keep one handy with a stock pouch and a couple of magazines.
    The next Carbine class I take, I will probably use an M1 Carbine myself.

Quote Originally Posted by Barry in IN View Post
    Most of the bad reports of stopping power I've seen/heard/read came from the Korean War. That makes sense. They were being used against attacking hordes who were wrapped in insulated heavy cotton duck clothing (which alone probably reduced effectiveness considerably), numbed by cold, and whipped into a frenzy by the charge (and possibly opium).
    By contrast, WWII use of the carbine was largely in the Pacific, against nearly-starved Japanese soldiers who might also be sick with Malaria or any number of tropical diseases.
    Results would naturally differ.
    I'm pretty skeptical about stories of heavy clothing defeating M-1 carbine rounds. The guys over at The Box O' Truth did some experiments and found that a .30 carbine round would go through several layers of denim, a gallon of water, three 3/4" pine boards and still make a good sized divot in a cement block. The .30 carbine may be less powerful than a full sized rifle round, but it's still a lot more powerful than a handgun round (670fps more velocity and twice the muzzle energy of a .357 magnum). I think failures to stop are more likely due to poor marksmanship and any lack of power in the cartridge.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links