M1 Carbine Opinions

This is a discussion on M1 Carbine Opinions within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; My local shop has a couple of M1 Carbines. Usually priced at around $800, they are waaaay out of my price range currently. However, One ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: M1 Carbine Opinions

Distinguished Member Array SixBravo's Avatar

M1 Carbine Opinions (PICS ADDED)

My local shop has a couple of M1 Carbines. Usually priced at around $800, they are waaaay out of my price range currently. However, One came in two days ago for $350. The stock has a minor crack in it that has been repaired. The action looks a little dirty, but otherwise the gun looks alright. Very similar to this one:
    http://deactivated-guns.co.uk/detail...m1_carbine.htm
    Obviously, it is not in the same condition as the one pictured. This one looks like its been through some tough times. But.... the only other issue is that there is no rear sight. Big deal, though. I can order a new stock and the sight for less than $500 (for damned sure).

What are your opinions with this rifle? Is there anything in particular about this rifle that I should be looking for? As it stands, I'm probably going to walk in there tomorrow with cash in hand and demand they hand it over. I have a thing for old surplus rifles. I've already been over to surplusrifle.com and looked-up all their goodies - I just want the opinions of you all.
    Last edited by SixBravo; January 10th, 2007 at 04:04 AM.
    The Gunsite Blog
    ITFT / Quick Kill Review
    "It is enough to note, as we have observed, that the American people have considered the handgun to be the quintessential self-defense weapon." - Justice Scalia, SCOTUS - DC v Heller - 26 JUN 2008

2. Remove Ads

I'm not sure of what price will be charged but CMP has some M1 Carbine's they are getting ready to put up for sale.

http://www.odcmp.com/rifles/carbine.htm

I don't know if they'll be better but you'll have some options.
    There are over 550 million firearms in worldwide circulation. That's one firearm for every twelve people on the planet. The only question is: How do we arm the other 11? (Yuri Orlov [Nicolas Cage] Lord of War)

The carbine is what it is. It is not in the same league as a 16" .223 carbine, or the AK, but with JHPs or SPs is pretty close to a long barreled .357. If you need a light weight home/shtf rifle for w/in 200yards, I would not feel underwhelmed. With a decent folder, you're very competitive with the AK in a compact, hi-cap package.

FYI: Given the experience of various LE agencies in the 60s and 70s, backed by modern ballistic testing, the stories of the "ineffectiveness" of the .30 carbine round, in Korea, has to be put more to bad shooting, and taking shots beyond the effective range, rather than a real ballistic lacking.

Thanks.

Yeah if I wanted to get something truely accurate out to around 4 or 500 yards I don't think I'd be looking at old milsurp rifles except for a few minor exceptions. I hadn't heard any of those rumors, but I think you may be quite correct in that assumption. We all know what a "crack shot" every single LEO is.

The M1 Carbine isn't something I would be really considering as a SHTF rifle. That would probably be my SKS... simply because I know that rifle so well and itll run rounds when its really dirty. As I said earlier... for s serious rifle, I'd plunk down the money if I had it. I found a beautiful condition used .308 AR15 for just over $1000 yesterday also. I just walked right by those ARs lookin at tags until it caught my eye.

But back to the topic, thanks for the input. I'll take anything else I can hear from you guys, too.
    The Gunsite Blog
    ITFT / Quick Kill Review
    "It is enough to note, as we have observed, that the American people have considered the handgun to be the quintessential self-defense weapon." - Justice Scalia, SCOTUS - DC v Heller - 26 JUN 2008

Administrator
    M1 are fun little carbines, but as noted already, it wouldnt be my first choice if I needed a carbine.

curious...

when my dad's department asked the guys to pony up their own carbines, he called and asked me to ship him the old m1 carbine, he hits his targets at 300 m with no problems, and I found ammo for less than .223 or 7.62x39.

to each his own, I figure if it is good enough for active LEO use... anything beyond I will be 30-06 anyway...

Lead Moderator
    carbines are fun guns to shoot, what brand is it? Some are rare, others less so.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by MR D View Post
    curious...

when my dad's department asked the guys to pony up their own carbines, he called and asked me to ship him the old m1 carbine, he hits his targets at 300 m with no problems, and I found ammo for less than .223 or 7.62x39.

to each his own, I figure if it is good enough for active LEO use... anything beyond I will be 30-06 anyway...
    The M1 is a capable gun, no doubt about it. Its compact size and caliber make it a good combo for LE use. There are more modern and powerful choices out there though.

Yeah I found boxes of 50 of Wolf for $10. Its dirt cheap for .30 cal.

I ended-up buying the gun. It's a "Universal" Type 2 - which is basically the Hi-Point of M1 Carbines. haha REAL M1's will cost anyplace from $350 to over $1100. Gunbroker has a few, as well. From what I've been reading about the guns, people who buy them end up buying two - one nice real one and a junker one they shoot the barrel off of. haha Which is fine by me.

Here's a few pics of it:

The stock is extremely decent condition. But, at first glance something looks off. Oh yeah - it's missing a rear sight. This was pointed out to me twice by the shop. haha It's fine though! I can snag a brand new milled one for $30 on Gunbroker. Have a smith install it for another small price. Oh well. It was still a steal.

Looking down the gun, you can see a large crack. This is one of the reasons for the price. It runs for about 4.5" down the left side of the stock. It has been repaired, though. I did not buy this gun for looks and show. Part of living with military surplus is the love of restoration to past glory. Or just modding the crap out of it... ;) For this rifle, it shall be the latter. I'm going to buy a real M1 and lovingly restore that one down the line. I haven't even shot this gun and I love it dearly. haha Even if I wanted to restore it, I can get a new stock for around $100 or one of those awesome Airborne wire stocks for $200.

Thoughts? Suggestions?

This is my third firearm in 4 weeks.

I may have a problem. hahaha
    The Gunsite Blog
    ITFT / Quick Kill Review

100 meters and under it will do any thing the poddle shooter and AK/SKS will do ,,, with QUALITY AMMO.

Stick with the Winchester and Remington 110 JHP/SP stuff and it will do the J.O.B.

I have always found it more handy for a patrol carbine/ truck gun then any thing short of a custom lever gun.

Only time I have every used the 30 round mags was in a M2 in RVN , and like others have said FMJ's in it are poor stoppers,

If you like it buy it,, hell I know a guy down my way that hunts deer with his every year , and works fine, again not a good choice for the job,,,but you get the drift

Six Bravo, seems like I recall someone mentioning that the Universal, IMI or some other brand looks like a regular M1, but has different specs than the military type and a lot of the parts that should interchange don't. Wish I could be of more help, but maybe someone here can be more specific.
    What Would Gumby Do?

Sheepdog, you're exactly right. The "Universal" is not a typical M1. The other GI parts that fit on all the others will not fit on this one. It's really more of an M1 knockoff. The bolt carrier's design is very different from a normal Carbine's, as well.

I had a chance to shoot it this evening. Its fun!!! The only problem is that the bolt has issues stripping the rounds from the mag. It does it just fine for me, but will not do it for my friends. Appearently my carbine is tempermental!
    The Gunsite Blog
    ITFT / Quick Kill Review

Distinguished Member Array AutoFan's Avatar
    M1 Carbines are very effective at short ranges, and in addition to the JSP rounds already mentioned, I understand that Corbon is loading the DPX bullet in .30 carbine. If it feeds, it should be an impressive round.

The .30 carbine is a lot of fun to shoot in the .30 Ruger single six. I could kick my self for selling it.

Six Bravo; I have several of the original GI flip rear sights, I'd give ya one for shipping costs.
    I also have a Johnson M1 carbine. Mine needed it's feed guide area smoothed up a bit and the two recoil springs replaced with Wolff springs. (PIA to install too!).
    I'd also give ya fer shipping a couple of 30 round mags for it. They're unreliable feeders so you'd pay what they're worth.

Roger
    Last edited by Velocette; January 12th, 2007 at 10:15 AM. Reason: add information

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links