First SKS Purchase - Country of Origin and Value Question

This is a discussion on First SKS Purchase - Country of Origin and Value Question within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Hey guys (and gals), I'm in the market for my first SKS. Well technically anything 5.56 and up and 7.62 x 39 mm seems to ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree47Likes

Thread: First SKS Purchase - Country of Origin and Value Question

First SKS Purchase - Country of Origin and Value Question

Hey guys (and gals), I'm in the market for my first SKS. Well technically anything 5.56 and up and 7.62 x 39 mm seems to be cheapest to shoot plus SKS's have a rep for being nearly indestructible.

So, I'm seeing these things listed for about $350-400 and want your opinion:

What is the best country of origin (brand)? Obviously milled is worth more than stamped. Which ones are milled and which are not?

Is it worth more if it's all original or with synthetic stock, scope, etc?

I've found no "bad" reviews about any SKS. They all pretty much shoot consistently well. Are there any I should avoid buying? I'm not buying for a safe ornament and I'm not competition shooting. I'll shoot it outdoors and occassionally at the range but do want a quality gun.

Thanks for your feedback!
    DingBat and Aceoky like this.

There are Commerical made and old SKS out there... You can get a old old china made one ( which are very nice ) for about 265 or so but they are beat up but work ...

Right now the Yugo ones are a good buy but are not consider true SKS by some ...

Russian ones are very very nice but good for a pricy sum now .. As do the China ones as they were banned in 89 and 94 from import

The only SKS I own so far is a old old SKS m from 1994 .. This is a odd duck as it takes Ak47 mags

Normal SKS max out at either 10 or with a handufll of china ones at 20 round internal mags ... They will not take AK mags ... You can get larger mags but they are hit and miss

IMOP buy a a china made one look at Classic Firearms .. They have china one for a good price ... Just need a lot of cleaning to get the cosom out

And number matching org ones are worth more .. IF you want a tact cool gun get a AK
    DingBat likes this.
    “Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.” H.L. Mencken
    "Vous ne les laisserez pas passer, mes camarades"
    "We're surrounded. That simplifies our problem of getting to these people and killing them."Chesty Puller

StormRhydr and DingBat like this.
    “Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.” H.L. Mencken
    "We're surrounded. That simplifies our problem of getting to these people and killing them."Chesty Puller

Just note the Issue of 922r laws and what the 1989 and 1994 laws were

Survivor's SKS Boards - Index

is a good place to look around

http://www.classicfirearms.com/chicomsks is pro one of the better bets right now or this kind of model https://www.samcoglobal.com/1-sks.html

Russian ones are getting close to collector piece now me thinks

Just note with most of these guns you can not just slap a 30 round mag and a folding stock on them with out 922r part couting most of them
    Aceoky and DingBat like this.

I still kick myself for selling my Russian SKS. I paid $250 for two of them in 1994. Dad still has his and I still have my commercial one with the folding stock.

Good luck finding a nice one. :)
    Aceoky likes this.

Just pick up the first norinco sks you find, you can't go wrong with an old Chinese sks. All sks as far as I know are milled and built like the offspring of a Mac truck and an old soviet tank, it will outlive you, your kids and their kids. Gunshows prices around here are starting around 500 bucks and topping out around 750 for an all original with the bayo and a good wood stock. Internet prices will be more reasonable but then you don't get to hold it and inspect it. There is a decent aftermarket scene for the sks and most owners really really love their sks, I know I do. Ok here is my totally "Bubba'd" sks, many owners frown on a "Bubba'd" sks but hey it's mine and I do love to tinker!!! Tapco stock, tapco mags, home built ak style mag release, garage chopped and crowned barrel, Prince50 front sight, Williams peep rear sight and a Mission First cheek rest. Everyone who shoots it loves it.
    image.jpg
    Aceoky and Stoveman like this.
    Those are my principles, and if you don't like them.....well, I have others.

I have a Yugo, and its a solid rifle. Yugos Issues are that they lack Chromed barrels, and are heavier I think due to the grenade launching rigging.

Thanks for everyone's feedback!!

I found a trade tonight I absolutely couldn't pass up. I traded my Sigma 40 + 100 rounds of American Eagle + $60 for:

An all matching serial # Yugo SKS + Tapco adjustable stock + 60 rounds of Tulammo. It appears that every original piece is there except the barrel plunger.

I just need to buy the Tapco top piece, some mags, maybe a grip, some sights or scope.....this is going to get expensive.

Feel free to link me to the best deals online. Also need plenty of cheap ammo.

I can't wait to shoot this thing!

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
    DingBat and Stoveman like this.

Senior Moderator
    Looks fine! My son has a Yugo with the hardware on its muzzle. It shoots really tight groups off the bench at 100 yards, like 2-inches or so. Much better than my much lauded Russian which only can manage 4-5 inch groups at the same distance with the same ammo as us used in my son's Yugo.

"Is it worth more if it's all original or with synthetic stock, scope, etc?"

My money's on originality over customized for particular tastes as being worth more.

Stretching the Russki SKS's range a bit more than is prudent. Still, it makes racket when fired and kicks up dust at ranges over 300 yards ... and sometimes accidentally stumbles into hitting the target aimed at.
    Charter Member of the DC .41 LC Society "Get heeled! No really"

“No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

Senior Moderator
    I picked up a Yugo back when they were still cheap. I think it's a hoot to shoot, and although reloading is a 2-handed affair, the stripper clips make it a cinch and faster (for me, at least) than the AK mag conversion. I'm surprised I never actually punched paper with it, but I never felt the need since it's such a great plinker. The sights are pretty rudimentary, and the stock is too short for my comfort (see Bryan's photo and note how close his nose is to the bolt cover), so I replaced the wood with an aftermarket synthetic stock. I had to give up the folding bayonet for that mod, but the gun is not exactly rare so keeping it dead stock was a "who cares" for me.

DingBat, bmcgilvray and Stoveman like this.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member
    NROI Chief Range Officer

After watching some videos on YouTube, I'm glad I got a Yugo despite the added weight. I'll probably make a fake grenade or two (unless someone sells them cheap online) to play with.

I've completely disassembled and reassembled this gun and it looks like the previous owner(s) took care of it, or at least cleaned it well before trading it to me.

Quote Originally Posted by joshw0000 View Post
    Thanks for everyone's feedback!!

I found a trade tonight I absolutely couldn't pass up. I traded my Sigma 40 + 100 rounds of American Eagle + $60 for:

An all matching serial # Yugo SKS + Tapco adjustable stock + 60 rounds of Tulammo. It appears that every original piece is there except the barrel plunger.

I just need to buy the Tapco top piece, some mags, maybe a grip, some sights or scope.....this is going to get expensive.

Feel free to link me to the best deals online. Also need plenty of cheap ammo.

I can't wait to shoot this thing!

IMOP dont ninja it go buy a WSAR if you to want to do that ... Where people have issues is when they start added stuff to this .. Never mind the parts you will need to add for 922r work.. Esp issue with duckbill mags ..Sure you can mod it with a lot of work to take AK mags but I would just buy a AK

Keep it stock that was the way the gun was made to be feed from stripper clips ...

Congrats on your rifle.
    joshw0000 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by WrongRecroom View Post
    IMOP dont ninja it go buy a WSAR if you to want to do that ... Where people have issues is when they start added stuff to this .. Never mind the parts you will need to add for 922r work.. Esp issue with duckbill mags ..Sure you can mod it with a lot of work to take AK mags but I would just buy a AK

Keep it stock that was the way the gun was made to be feed from stripper clips ...
    I wasn't planning to make any permanent mods. Just the tapco mags that replace the stock mag.

Very cool! Congratulations.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links