NOT a rifle

NOT a rifle

This is a discussion on NOT a rifle within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; This is NOT a rifle. I have to keep telling myself that. This will not impress the AR15 elitists. Parts: Anderson Arms stripped lower (5.56/.223) ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree22Likes

Thread: NOT a rifle

NOT a rifle

This is NOT a rifle. I have to keep telling myself that.

This will not impress the AR15 elitists.

Parts:
    Anderson Arms stripped lower (5.56/.223)
    PSA LPK
    PSA Pistol buffer assembly (tube, spring and buffer)
    Magpul K2 grip
    Magpul trigger guard
    SigTac "arm brace"
    7.5" 1:8 twist .300BLK upper
    M16 BCG
    YHM quad rail
    Magpul AFG2
    Magpul MBUS sights
    Streamlight TLR-2 (tape switch) on GGG offset mount
    Primary Arms micro dot

See, nothing very special, but it sure looks special. I JUST finished this build. Well, I "built" the lower and slapped on a complete upper. I plan on sighting in the red dot, irons and laser on Sunday morning. I built this on an affordable budget. I saved the BCM and Daniel defense stuff for my rifle. This "pistol" is a hobby gun. If it proves reliable, I may grant it home defense duty. We shall see.

Pretty cool!

Distinguished Member Array shadowwalker's Avatar
    Very nice

I waaant one! That is cool!

I'd be lying if I said I'm not slightly fearful of what lies in the future in terms of legalities. Hopefully these remain legal. The ATF has changed their minds before, they'll do it again.

While I'd prefer a genuine SBR, the SigTac brace is perfect. No waiting, no special paper work, no hassle, no finger prints, no tax... with about 95% the capabilities of a true stock. Not as secure, rigid or robust, but it should do the trick.

Looks like a pretty capable HD gun to me.

Knowing little about AR's and next to nothing about .300BLK, I'm curious - if used for defense, what would be the preferred round? I would think the subsonic heavy stuff might perform better with the short barrel, but I really don't know.

Someday I'll get into AR's, and I'll admit I'm tempted to buy one of the Sig braces now, just so it's grandfathered when the congressional slugs realize they exist.
    "Yet this government never of itself furthered any enterprise, but by the alacrity with which it got out of the way... The character inherent in the American people has done all that has been accomplished; and it would have done somewhat more, if the government had not sometimes got in its way."

Quote Originally Posted by maxwell97 View Post
    Looks like a pretty capable HD gun to me.

Knowing little about AR's and next to nothing about .300BLK, I'm curious - if used for defense, what would be the preferred round? I would think the subsonic heavy stuff might perform better with the short barrel, but I really don't know.

Someday I'll get into AR's, and I'll admit I'm tempted to buy one of the Sig braces now, just so it's grandfathered when the congressional slugs realize they exist.
    .300BLK is, from what I've read, optimized to perform short barrel's 8-9" or so. Longer barrel will increase velocity, but not substantially.

This is the reason I choose .300BLK over 5.56 for my AR pistol. I think 5.56 is a very capable round, given the right advantages. Advantages meaning, proper bullet and barrel length. The 5.56, especially standard M193 ammo, NEEDS velocity to be effective. Some rounds like Barns, Gold dots, etc that do not rely on fragmentation will perform better at lower velocities than M193. But .300BLK will always perform well in short barrel, as that what's it's designed for.

As far as .300BLK defensive rounds, The subsonic stuff will certainly be effective, although, I believe it's mainly designed to specially work well while suppressed. I'd likely end up using a 115-125gr soft point or OTM round.

This may end up being my goto home defense gun IF it proves reliable, so I still have some time to think about defensive ammo. Until then, I'm sticking with my M&P45, and my 16" 5.56 AR15. I will admit though, handling my 16" AR after handling this little thing, it almost seems oddly large and long.

How much does it weigh?
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

Quote Originally Posted by gasmitty View Post
    How much does it weigh?
    I don't have a very good, accurate scale in the house. I'll step on the scale and can loose 5 pounds in 10 minutes. But I will say, with the addition on the light and red dot, I can feel a definite weight increase. If this is going to potentially be a home defense gun, it needs the light. And with such a short rail, to run the light where I wanted, I needed a tape switch, and the cheapest light to run a tape switch on was the light I ALREADY owned, and that was my TLR-2. I set it up the way I did for a reason. It was thought out. I'm afraid I made it a little front heavy, but with limited rail space, you almost have no choice.

With a loaded mag, I'm going to guess in the 6.5-7.5 pound range. Probably closer to 6.5lbs.

Looks almost identical to what my mind has been wandering toward lately. Great job!
    I thoroughly disapprove of duels.
    If a man should challenge me, I would take him kindly and forgivingly by the hand
    and lead him to a quiet place and kill him.
    -Mark Twain

NOVA...200 square miles surrounded by reality
    Mine Folds in half hehehehehehehe! I have made a few changes I have Magpul flip up sights, that new Very small Green crimson trace laser and Light mounted to the side, and an AIMPOINT T1 on top now. Mine goes everywhere with me, work, travel. I carry it with two Magpul 30 round mags coupled together.

Going to add a little bayonet.

1MoreGoodGuy likes this.
    “Are you a thermometer or a thermostat, do you reflect or become what is happening in the room or do you change the atmosphere, reset the temperature when you come into the room”?--Chuck Swindoll

Its not about guns...Its about Freedom!

Here you go this is her now. Just took new photos.

1MoreGoodGuy likes this.
    “Are you a thermometer or a thermostat, do you reflect or become what is happening in the room or do you change the atmosphere, reset the temperature when you come into the room”?--Chuck Swindoll

And here she is with her 2nd upper in 300 Blackout.

Waiting for my can went pending in December should have it really really soon.

Man that thing is beyond rad. That little bayonet is just awesome. Nice job!
    Aceoky likes this.

I love the way that brake looks, Rob!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links