Good soft point rounds

Good soft point rounds

This is a discussion on Good soft point rounds within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I have my first AR 15 and it is my favorite rifle (I only have iron sights right now it is still much more accurate ...

Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By G17leb
  • 1 Post By WrongRecroom
  • 1 Post By OldVet
  • 1 Post By atctimmy

Thread: Good soft point rounds

Good soft point rounds

I have my first AR 15 and it is my favorite rifle (I only have iron sights right now it is still much more accurate than my AK with a red dot) but I have a Vortex scope on the way! And I want to start Coyote hunting with my AR mine is 1 in 9 twist what would be a good soft point or hollow point for hunting. Thank you in advance! Here's a pic of my girl, Del-ton upper 16" heavy barrel SAA lower.ImageUploadedByOutdoor Forums1403281030.851486.jpg
    5lima30ret likes this.

Distinguished Member Array 5lima30ret's Avatar
    Coyotes are not particularly picky about what you shoot them with. Many coyotes have been taken with FMJ, so I'm sure any soft point that is accurate in your rifle should be fine. With a .223 and coyotes its all about accuracy, IMHO. Good luck!
    Retired Police Lieutenant, Retired USAF Reserve, Glock Armorer, NC CWP, HR-218 Qualified
    Second generation American, Third generation Legionnaire
    "I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me" Phil 4:13

I know ranger makes some good 55 and I think 62 grain ranger...

Really go on say midway usa type in 223 and narrow by varmint round or sd rounds lot of choice

Based on twisted of barrel 55 grain is good and what that was made for ...
    Aceoky likes this.
    “Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.” H.L. Mencken
    "Vous ne les laisserez pas passer, mes camarades"
    "We're surrounded. That simplifies our problem of getting to these people and killing them."Chesty Puller

I have a box. Of federal varmint 55 grain around here somewhere (it was what Walmart had) ..
    “Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.” H.L. Mencken
    "Vous ne les laisserez pas passer, mes camarades"
    "We're surrounded. That simplifies our problem of getting to these people and killing them."Chesty Puller

VIP Member
    Hiding inside a bottle of Jim Beam Black.
    A Sierra 55 grain spire-point boat tail will drop one in a hurry. Use an FMJ if you're worried about the pelt.
    Aceoky likes this.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

Distinguished Member Array David Armstrong's Avatar
    I've had good luck with .223 hollowpoints instead of softpoints on coyotes. Just something to consider.

VIP Member
    I use a phased plasma rifle in the 40 watt range.

Seriously though, 55 grain ball will work fine. Use what shoots good in your rifle.
    Aceoky likes this.
    I haven’t heard any of the journalists who volunteered to be waterboarded asking to have their fingernails wrenched out with pliers, or electrodes attached to their genitals.

Your 1:9 twist ratio works best with the lighter bullet weights. I've had best results with 55gr - 62gr SP or HP on 'yotes when I had a Bush w a 1:9 bbl.
    Now I favor Hornady 68gr JHP (or 75gr TAP) since my Colts have 1:7 bbls. Its great to have a 1x6, 3x9 or 4x optic for hunting, especially for us 'older folk'.
    Hornady TAP 75 gr BTHP.jpg
    Retired State Trooper (40 long years) 8 years State Range Instructor - BS Degree- Justice, MS Degree- Criminology
    All forms of Gun Control are Unconstitutional / Illegal and beyond the scope of the US. Supreme Court.
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one"- Luke 22:36

There are some states that do not allow FMJ for hunting. Check it out before doing so.
    Vietnam Veteran

The Hornady "Zombie 55 gr" rounds (or the red tip identical round) should be close to perfect -IF you don't want to save the pelts
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    In Gibson v. Commonwealth, 237 Ky. 33, 34 S.W.2d 936 (1936), the High Court stated:  “[I]t is the tradition that a Kentuckian never runs.   He does not have to.”

Good soft point rounds

I use 55gr v-max, 55gr hornady soft points and 55gr sierra blitz for my reloads. 1/9 barrel twist. Off the shelf I like the American Eagle Varmit because they are cheap. I cant see spending $20 a box or more on coyote ammo. Fmj is a no go in AZ, or at least it used to be.

Yeah, thats a Vortex on the left, you will love yours too I bet.

Sent from my iPad
    Last edited by Carvin66; July 5th, 2014 at 02:39 AM. Reason: add photo

Sponsored Links