Going to look at two Bushmasters - input needed

This is a discussion on Going to look at two Bushmasters - input needed within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Well... unfortunately I now have to wait on it. Problem was that he sold the one in stock that morning before I got there. But ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Going to look at two Bushmasters - input needed

Well... unfortunately I now have to wait on it. Problem was that he sold the one in stock that morning before I got there. But he ordered me one to come in Thursday for same price as the Shot Show sale was still going on. So, in the mean time I am browsing the internet looking for good deals on ammo and parts.

Found some mags already. And just now doing my research on Ammo and what typical wear parts I should keep on hand. Any advice on that part would be welcome.

Doing a lot of reading over at the AR15 forum. But lots of nonsense to sift through over there if you know what I mean.

2. Remove Ads

Administrator
    Yeah, I know what you mean.

Dpms makes entire kits for the wear parts, all the springs, clips and other doohickys that would be nice to have spares on hand.
    Brownells has the best mags I have found, and they are priced right too. It would also pay off to get an AR tool kit too.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Yea. I think I will just pick up the spring and wear parts packaged kit and one of the multi tools and a pouched specific cleaning kit too and stop there for now.

For now, I just went ahead and bought two of the Bushmaster marked 30 round mags. Since they stamp their name of them I am going to hold them to the fact that they better dam sure feed it! Then work out from there. They are touting a 40 rounder they selling too so I going to try one of those. I figure if they no good then I can complain back to them because THEY selling them. And its thier guns so I expect perfection if they selling the stuff. They were 20 and 24 bucks each respectively.

Lead Moderator
    I have never had a problem with used, mil spec mags. 20' or 30's. I don't think you need to worry about a parts kits right away. Should be good for 1,000's of round without it. Same with tools.( unless you are gonna start changing out parts. )
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

Administrator
    I didnt mean to imply its an absolute to have spare parts and tools on hand, but it is nice to have. Might as well get them before its forgotten.

I dont think you will have any problems out of the bushmaster mags, they make a good product. The only reason I would advise against a forty round or even the thirties, is that the get in the way while shooting prone. That and the forty rounders seem to be a little less reliable. Its good to have a mix of mags in all sizes.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Yes. I believe that is all the large capacity Mags I am going to buy for now. 4 total I think is a good start. Those would be the ones more likely to go ban. I may pick up two 20 rounders next. And if that 40 rounder works then maybe one more of them and thats it.

Well... I ended up on Bushmasters site today and they had there what they called the Complete Spare parts kit. Every single spring, clip, pin (including retaining pins and firing pin) and hammer and all sorts of bits and bobs (they say all small parts) for $39.50. Seems they combined their field repair kit, complete spring kit and "lost parts" kit all into one kit for a complete set. I figured it good to have.

My thought there is, that some day down the line, if AW bans come into play and all that, even parts may get hard to find. I may even pick up a complete bolt assembly or rebuilt kit as well in the near future. I am not going to leave a lot to chance. I want that stuff laid in. Its not going to get any cheaper... and perhaps not going to be any easier to find. I think we all saw the price of weapons go up last time. I expect all of it to be fair game this time. And if I am wrong, then great. But even if I am wrong... parts is always good to have and I will probably save money getting them now.

I also went ahead and got one of those armorers multi tools. I was contemplating the whole armorors tool set but I have a lot of tools already. A lot of things adaptable to this AR. I probably have something for about everything that can come up here already in other tools like pin extractors and such. I will wait and see as I disasseble the first time around.

Aw heck.... I just blew my budget all to hay tee's.

Right after I commit to the Bushy, what comes to me today? Well... a gently used Colt Match Target. $850 he wants. What can I say? I mean, other than him not knowing where the original case and books are he has the little 9 rounder bench mag and a 30 with it. Mint Rifle. No scratches not even any on the nub that deflects the brass. He doubts he has 100 rounds down the barrel and it looks it. Minty Chrome 20" HBAR barrel....

STOP ME NOW!!!!!! I bought it too. Now I am WAY over budget. Whats wrong with me?

VIP Member
    What's wrong with you?

Nothing at all!

Congrats on your new acquisition!!

Range report!!!
    USAF: Loving Our Obscene Amenities Since 1947

Yea well... asking you guys is like asking a bunch a Alcoholics if I should stop drinking.

Does anyone out there have one of "the bibles" on these can date this thing for me? Serial is CMH041xxx

I am pretty sure its "During Ban" but not sure. Even though most of the Match Targets came with solid butt stocks anyway. And they all seemed to be 1:7 barrels for heavy target bullets. This one is so stamped on the barrel. These all had 20" barrels no matter if they were during or after because they were target heavy barrels so that not much of a clue. No flash guard but most of the match's did not have those either even later. Some of them had a Compensator and its milled to take one. Know were I can find one? It does not have threads. I believe they used set screws on them. Otherwise it appears normal in all ways I can tell. Typical Mag release and all and the factory Mag is a 9 round. Which is also still farily typical I think as they were bench rest rifles a good deal of time. Heavy bugger. 18 pounds I think I saw it was.
    Last edited by cphilip; January 16th, 2007 at 08:32 PM.

Administrator
    Cool, match targets are great guns. I dont think the ban changed anything on the target rifles.
    Now you need to find some high power matches around you... they are lots of fun.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Lead Moderator
    BRD. Black Rifle disease. Live with it.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    Cool, match targets are great guns. I dont think the ban changed anything on the target rifles.
    Now you need to find some high power matches around you... they are lots of fun.

Yep... thinking about it. I know there is one type of match that only allows open sights. Forget what they call that competition....

This is sort of why I want to find the Compensator for it too. Just in case.

Administrator
    Its called service rifle. IMO, thats the most fun, and you'll learn more too.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Here is a crappy picture of the Colt match target. I'll try and get some decent ones when I get back with the Bushmaster tomorrow and get them both together on a decent background.

An up date. Got the Bushy today. The finish on this thing is really nice. Very well made gun. Only problem I have is that the stock 30 rounder that came with it does not want to feed well first round and seems to be hanging on the lips of the mag. The shop that I bought this from had some 20 rounder used mags that I picked up and I tried one of those in it and the gun shot fine with that mag. Guess I am going to have to do some gentle polishing of it or get in touch with Bushmaster. Its definately a mag issue but I think the lips on these things are rather sharp and snagging. The gun shoots well.

Also scored a big score this evening. Well, I hope so anyway. An aquintance of ours contacted me through my son tonight (his kid and mine went to HS together and my Son was visiting them at the time) and it seems he had 840 rounds of Sellier & Bellot .223 he bought two years back he was looking to let go. He sold his Mini 14 that he had bought the case for and still had the ammo. So I gave him $100 for the remainder. Its the Brass case light green box so its relatively recent and I hear some fairly good things about it overall. Hope it proves to be decent ammo. He said he had no issues with it out of the 160 round he had shot of it. But at around $2.40 a box I just had to take a chance on it...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links