Going to look at two Bushmasters - input needed - Page 3

Going to look at two Bushmasters - input needed

This is a discussion on Going to look at two Bushmasters - input needed within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I have heard of some bushmaster mags having the problems you describe, but I have not experianced it myself. Sounds like you found a deal ...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Going to look at two Bushmasters - input needed

Administrator
    I have heard of some bushmaster mags having the problems you describe, but I have not experianced it myself.

Sounds like you found a deal on the ammo, I have not heard anything bad about that brand.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Well, have you heard anything about the fix? I have read accounts of people filing, polishing and spreading the feed lips on various mags. Have heard of them being somewhat "pinched" together a tad in manufacturing or storage and needing to be spread just a tad.

I figure I can work with a few cartridges and do a tad of taking the edges off by filing/sanding until those cartridges seem to unload without snagging and then try them again. You can actualy feel where it catches when your unloading them. Should not be hard to determine when/if it is not doing so anymore. I'll give it a go tomorrow. See what I can do with it. Oddly enough this other 30 rounder does the same exact thing. The one that I got with the Colt. It is marked Center industries. Looks never used either. But they both do the very same thing in both guns. And then, the used 20 rounders function flawlessly in both guns. So it's definately a mag issue. Which I would rather be dealing with if I had to deal with anything at all. So thats good I feel.

Lead Moderator
    Odd, I use parsons, center, Ok and adventure 30 rnd mags with no problems.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

Administrator
    I guess it would be more helpful if I gave you a solution

In the Army when we got new mags, we always would load them with 28 or 29, never the full 30. After a few rotations like this, they seemed to be good for the 30. I dont know why this was, but it worked.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Well... they seem to be working now. Filed the edges of the lips just a tad with file and filed the forward edge that they have to ride over and then they seemed to extract fine. Just a few strokes on each edge. I then hand fed them by controling the charging handle into the gun and ejected them each a few times and they did go in now. Just loading a few bullets each time and did this three or four times. Now... I will have to see how they work under fire but they at least work this way, which they did not yesterday. But I think that solved it. Or at least its progress.

Another question. When your inserting a round by using the charging handle, but your not letting it drop (ie not just let it go foward on it's own spring action, your holding it back and pushing the handle in yourself) is it common for a round to not complete set into the thoat and you have to use the forward assist to finish seating the bolt all the way? Because when I do this on the Colt, not letting it just slam in on its own, it seems to stop short of completely inserting the round sometimes. But if I let it go and let it slam itself in, it does seat. And when it does not seat all the way it takes the forward assist to get it to set on in. I think thats normal but just wanted to ask. This occurs even after a good complete cleaning. And it seems to be when I don't let the charging handle and carrier assembly slam itself home.

Oh and heads up. Here is a guy selling 7 of those very same 20 rounders with the metal followers that worked so good for me. He is asking 120 shipped for the 2. These are good mags from my experience. Going to pick up a couple more myself

http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=7&f=24&t=407319
    Last edited by cphilip; January 20th, 2007 at 06:36 PM.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Sponsored Links