Defensive Carry banner

steel case ammunition in semi auto (M1A)

4K views 14 replies 8 participants last post by  cphilip 
#1 ·
So now that I have my M1A, I'm looking to start stocking 7.62x51mm (.308) in my arsenal. The cheapest I can find at the moment is Wolf .308, at >$150 per 500rds. Pretty cheap, but this stuff has steel casings. Anyone else tried running through Wolf ammo with a semi auto .308? Just wondering if I can expect the kind of reliability I'd get out of brass ammo, or if it's likely to jam often, etc..

If so, I might to just spend a bit more (~$200 per 500rds) and get surplus brass cartridges. Thanks for any help on the subject. :)

#2 ·
Should be reliable. I have run about 1000 rnds of wolf thru my AR(5.56MM). Accuracy might not be as good as some other ammo though.

#3 ·
Thanks, rocky. I'll probably pick up 500rds of it at cabela's sometime next week and break my new rifle in. :)

Oh, and on a semi-related note, does anyone here with an M1A/M14 have experience with type 57 mags? I can pick them up for $15 a pop, just wondering if they're utter trash or if they're reliable enough for plinking. Thanks.

#4 ·
I don't like firing the Wolf steel case in anything that wasn't designed to fire it. That's just me. I fire it in my SKS and it works fine. For my Saiga .308 I picked up some NATO ammo from India and it was excellent. It was a little dirtier than Winchester White Box, but not as dirty as the Wolf steel case. At $75 for 250 rounds it was a lot cheaper than the WWB.

One other option you might want to look at is the Wolf Gold Ammunition. It has brass cases and boxer primers. I have used some of the 5.56/.223 and it is actually cleaner than WWB and from what I could tell more accurate. It is not as cheap as the regular Wolf, but it is not outrageous either. In November I bought 500 of the 5.56/.223 for $104. I haven't bought any of the .308 so I don't know what kind of price you can find on it.

#5 ·
Theres another factor that people don't know or forget about with the steel cased ammo.
The lacquer they spray over the steel. If you are shooting a lot, and your chamber heats up, it will start melting the lacquer and in turn gumming up your chamber. Its not that big of a deal in the AK's are SKS's, they are not built so tightly. BUT start running it through a higher quality rifle, and you may see some problems.
If your going to shoot Wolf Steel case, I would suggest you buy a couple of spare extractors and learn how to replace them too.

One more issue with the steel ammo.... Some indoor ranges won't allow it on their range. In addition to the steel case, a lot of this ammo has a steel core projectile too. This damages some backstops, and also will cause sparks.... not really a good thing on a dirty indoor range.

#6 ·
Wolf ammunition no longer has a lacquer coating, they now have a polymer coating on the cases. Supposedly more durable/heat resistant, so it should alleviate the gumming issue (which I know alot about from my Mosin Nagant).

Oh, and I've never been to an indoor range, but from what I hear most of them don't allow rifle cartridges at all, let alone steel core. I have plenty of outdoor ranges to choose from though, so I'll be fine.

#7 ·
Wolf ammunition no longer has a lacquer coating, they now have a polymer coating on the cases. Supposedly more durable/heat resistant, so it should alleviate the gumming issue (which I know alot about from my Mosin Nagant).
It is true that Wolf no longer produces steel cased ammo with a lacquer coating, but there is still tons of it out there that has the lacquer coating. So be careful when you buy and make sure that the coating is not lacquer. I just checked Cheaper Than Dirt and Sportsman's Guide and both listed some Wolf ammo with lacquer coating. As far as I can tell the boxes don't show what the coating is.

#8 ·
Just my opinion, but I would not use Wolf to break in a new gun. You don't need to add potential problems to the equation in the event that the gun doesn't run well right out of the box.

Matt

#11 ·
Just an FYI, there seems to be a problem with getting WOLF ammo. Alot of people list it but when you order it it is backordered. Sportsman guide back ordered mine till Febuary then notified me yesterday that the ship date wouldn't be till the end of May, if then.
I can't wait a half a year, so I cancelled my order. Very few venders even have any in this area.

I think there is a problem getting it past customs now. Or they are just selling to Terrorist.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.