What do you think about the collapsable stock - Page 2

What do you think about the collapsable stock

This is a discussion on What do you think about the collapsable stock within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I guess I'm not "most people"....

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: What do you think about the collapsable stock

JT
    I guess I'm not "most people".
    Blessed be the Lord my rock who trains my hands for war and my fingers for battle. Psalm 144:1

Si vis pacem, para bellum

Administrator
    I prefer the solid stock too. They allow a better cheek weld when shooting for accuracy.
    "Just blame Sixto"

VIP Member
    I like the collapsible stock for the reasons stated already; some promote better cheekwelds than others; a nice new stock that's come out that I fitzed around with during SHOT was the Duostock: http://www.duostock.com/

I've heard good things about the Sully stock and wouldn't mind trying one for myself.
    USAF: Loving Our Obscene Amenities Since 1947

VIP Member
    I do wear body armor quite a bit, and get in and out of vehicles with my M4 quite a bit, and carry it in a "discreet" case occasionally, and otherwise have many, many uses for a collapsible stock. So, I have to place myself in the "love it" column...
    A man fires a rifle for many years, and he goes to war. And afterward he turns the rifle in at the armory, and he believes he's finished with the rifle. But no matter what else he might do with his hands - love a woman, build a house, change his son's diaper - his hands remember the rifle.

Administrator
    I guess it comes down to how you use your rifle...
    "Just blame Sixto"

Lead Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by freakshow10mm View Post
    I have a cheap Chinese made slider for my Ar off of CTD. I like it. My main reason for getting it was storage space. Second was to try and get the OAL to less than 30" so it would be considered a pistol in MI and I could carry it in my vehicle loaded outside of a case. I missed it by 1.25", so I have to find some other gun to do it with.

I haven't shot it yet so can't comment on handling, although it is nice that my wife can adjust it for her munchkin stature.
    SBR's are not legal in MI. (unless I missed something)
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

Less than 30" but more than 26". So if you have a Mini 14 with a folding stock it should measure about 28-29" OAL with the stock folded. MI considers this a pistol and is subject to pistol registration and all CPL laws.

So I can buy a rifle, attach a folding stock on it that makes it less than 30" but more than 26" [as you know SBRs (less than 26") are illegal unless C&R], register it as a pistol and carry it loaded concealed or in my vehicle without a case as it is not a rifle anymore, but a pistol.
    07/02 FFL/SOT since 2006

Quote Originally Posted by OPFOR View Post
    I do wear body armor quite a bit, and get in and out of vehicles with my M4 quite a bit, and carry it in a "discreet" case occasionally, and otherwise have many, many uses for a collapsible stock. So, I have to place myself in the "love it" column...
    Yep. One click out when I'm jocked up, two clicks out when I'm slick, and all the way out if I'm in the prone at long range.

I don't mind using a rubber pad to keep the slick, flat plastic butt-end from slipping around, though.

For me, the A2 stock is too long. Considering that my AR spends most of its time at home, if the need arises for it, I'll probably be in tight indoors where a short weapon is handy.

I've shot my AR two-clicks out (from fully collapsed) since 09/17/04, when I put my first AR together. It's the most comfortable to me. When my girlfreind moved in, and finally decided to learn how to shoot, she decided she liked it better one click out. I just adapted to that.

With the exeption of the length, the A2 stock is more comfortable though. Like posted above, sometimes my facial hair gets caught in the M4 stock. Someday I may use an entry buffertube and cut an A2 stock down to my liking, but at the moment I dont care enough to do so.

I like a short LOP. I even cut about 1.5" out of my mossberg stock. May have cut more if it had a PG stock on it.

That DUOstock looks interesting...

Senior Moderator
    The collapsible stock is great for carry and it stinks for shooting.

Since a duty or a combat rifle is actually carried much more than shot, it is a compromise.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

It's funny you made this post, i just put my A2 stock back on to go hunting. The A2 stock is about an inch and a half longer than the colapsible, im a big person and the colapsible is just not comfortable, but it is nice when women and children shoot the gun. I would suggest buying a cheap one to try it out. It only takes 5 min. to change.
    LIFES JOURNEY IS NOT TO ARRIVE AT THE "GRAVE" SAFELY ,IN A WELL PRESERVED BODY.BUT RATHER TO SKID IN SIDEWAYS TOTALLY WORN OUT SHOUTING "HOLY S@#$...WHAT A RIDE"

Collapsible made life so much easier.Briefcase,clipboard,lights radios,cell phone clipped to a pant leg,gunbelt,rifle,waterbottle,hat ,leather coat,complaint sheets, and run to your car in one load to handle the first call of the day, through multi doors, hall 's and in and out of a car. Love a short rifle over no rifle.
    I am an American. I vote. I will serve on a jury when called. Its a MEMBERS ONLY thing.

I noticed at the Bushmaster site they listed a shorter "Stubby" A1 style of Stock. I like the original one but this looked neat and might be an answer for some. Does not allow room for the trap door storage but...

Here is thier blurb on it:

This version of the standard A2 buttstock (3.25" shorter") makes the AR type rifle easier to carry in confined quarters as it is not much longer that a compressed telestock. It's just long enough to be legal with 16" barrelled guns, and also sized well for woman and young shooters. Comes complete with carbine length buffer and spring. A standard rear sling loop is mounted, and the solid buttplate (no trapdoor storage compartment) is smooth and comfortable on the shoulder.

This a link to buying it seperately...Link
    Last edited by cphilip; January 22nd, 2007 at 11:06 PM.

Not a fan because I don't think it would hold up well to buttstroking someone with it.
    ...He suggested that "every American citizen" should own a rifle and train with it on firing ranges "at every courthouse." -Chesty Puller

Distinguished Member Array Dakotaranger's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SammyIamToday View Post
    Not a fan because I don't think it would hold up well to buttstroking someone with it.
    That's why I carry a 1911
    "[T]he people are not to be disarmed of their weapons.
    They are left in full possession of them."

Zacharia Johnson (speech in the Virginia Ratifying Convention,25 June 1778)"The best we can hope for concerning the people at large is that they be properly armed." ~Alexander Hamilton

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links