EO tech advice needed asap!

This is a discussion on EO tech advice needed asap! within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Im going to help somebody set up a new rifle. He has a Bushmaster with a 516 EO Tech Holographic site. He will shoot 55 ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: EO tech advice needed asap!

VIP Member

Im going to help somebody set up a new rifle. He has a Bushmaster with a 516 EO Tech Holographic site. He will shoot 55 grain approx 2900 fps. Sounds like it is 1/2 Moa clicks. Any other tips. I am an iron site guy!
    He wants to shoot it from 100-300 yards. Sounds do able but its better suited for close distance fast target acquirement.

with the one dot is there any way we can zero it and he could use on either range or will he have to adjust the elevation depending on the range. He is not shooting in matches so its not that precise.

Any tips would be greatly appreciated! More time for us to enjoy the range less time fussing with it. Sounds like he has it on paper at 50 yards. I will know more in the morning.
    Fast is fine, but accuracy is everything.
    Wyatt Earp

Nothing really different about the EOTechs.

First off, RTFM (read thre friendly manual). Here it is: http://www.eotechinc.com/sites/defau...nual_1.0.1.pdf

Without splitting hairs, most of the 5.56 rounds have trajectories such that if you zero at 50 yards, you're dead on at 200 and no more than 2 inches off anywhere from the muzzle out to 250 yards. Google "battle zero". My range has 24" steel plates at 200 and 300 yards. I can move from the 200 yd plates to 300 yd plates and still score an audible hit with just holding the dot on the top of the plate.

Use the lowest power that allows you to see a clear dot. Depending on ambient light, if your illumination is too bright you'll get a big smudgy cluster instead of a clear dot in the center.
    MrBuckwheat and 47Gabe like this.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by gasmitty View Post
    Nothing really different about the EOTechs.

First off, RTFM (read thre friendly manual). Here it is: http://www.eotechinc.com/sites/defau...nual_1.0.1.pdf

Without splitting hairs, most of the 5.56 rounds have trajectories such that if you zero at 50 yards, you're dead on at 200 and no more than 2 inches off anywhere from the muzzle out to 250 yards. Google "battle zero". My range has 24" steel plates at 200 and 300 yards. I can move from the 200 yd plates to 300 yd plates and still score an audible hit with just holding the dot on the top of the plate.

Use the lowest power that allows you to see a clear dot. Depending on ambient light, if your illumination is too bright you'll get a big smudgy cluster instead of a clear dot in the center.
    thats what I am talking about, thank you very much!!!!!!!
    Wyatt Earp

Smitty has it right zero at 50 yards should be good to go mine was, at 200 was high about a inch.
    MrBuckwheat likes this.

This is kind of a larger topic than it may appear. However, some brief thoughts. i have my Eoteck zeroed at 50 yards. Nothing all that magic about this. Some argue the best range is 36 yards, others 5o yards, and still others 100 yards. Trust me, we will not solve this argument here. For my money, I am looking for combat effective range, and 50 yards works well for me at ranges out to 300 yards. However, one major point to remember. If you are using the standard M193 55 gr FMJ bullet, accuracy at 300 may be problematic. (Don't even think about 62 gr green tip). When I shoot at 300 I use either 69 or 77 grain match ammo which does well out of my DD 16 inch barrel.
    Best way to win a gun fight? "That's easy, don't show up."
    --Wyatt Earp

"Fast is fine, but accuracy is everything."
    -- Wyatt Earp

VIP Member
    Can't wait to try this thing, Im an iron site guy. Fancy stuff with batteries............
    Wyatt Earp

Another perhaps obvious point. Use the lowest brightness setting possible for the most precise sight on target.
    --Wyatt Earp

-- Wyatt Earp

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Gaius View Post
    This is kind of a larger topic than it may appear. However, some brief thoughts. i have my Eoteck zeroed at 50 yards. Nothing all that magic about this. Some argue the best range is 36 yards, others 5o yards, and still others 100 yards. Trust me, we will not solve this argument here. For my money, I am looking for combat effective range, and 50 yards works well for me at ranges out to 300 yards. However, one major point to remember. If you are using the standard M193 55 gr FMJ bullet, accuracy at 300 may be problematic. (Don't even think about 62 gr green tip). When I shoot at 300 I use either 69 or 77 grain match ammo which does well out of my DD 16 inch barrel.
    Agreed with you on the bullet weight. I shoot mostly 77 grain. He is just getting into it and I want to make sure I get him a safe and pleasant experience so he will continue to keep shooting. I figure the more I know about his set the easier it will be. I will be shooting my standard iron site service rifle.
    Wyatt Earp

Quote Originally Posted by Gaius View Post
    Oh, I don't know... those steel plates at Rio Salado are effectively "minute of bad guy" and I can make 'em ring with M193 or M855 without even thinking about it. If I was shooting matches or hunting prairie dogs, then I'd give it some thought (and I wouldn't be using a RDS).
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

VIP Member
    Oh, I don't know... those steel plates at Rio Salado are effectively "minute of bad guy" and I can make 'em ring with M193 or M855 without even thinking about it. If I was shooting matches or hunting prairie dogs, then I'd give it some thought (and I wouldn't be using a RDS).
    He is just going to shoot steel at the public range! I think your advice will be just fine. If we were going to a match I would have to set him up with all sorts of things including ammo. I don't know what size the steel is on the public range. I don't ever shoot there.
    Wyatt Earp

I don't have access to steel plates at distance, so I set up a standard B27 pistol target for 300 yards. I certainly make my hits in the black with 55 gr FMJ, and even 62 gr green tip, but I got to say, it isn't pretty.
    --Wyatt Earp

-- Wyatt Earp

St. Louis, MO "The Most Dangerous City in America"
    Quote Originally Posted by MrBuckwheat View Post
    Agreed with you on the bullet weight. I shoot mostly 77 grain. He is just getting into it and I want to make sure I get him a safe and pleasant experience so he will continue to keep shooting. I figure the more I know about his set the easier it will be. I will be shooting my standard iron site service rifle.
    What 77gr bullet are you using? What is your Cartridge Overall Length? Are you loading them individually into your breach? If they'll load in a magazine I would really like to know who makes them short enough to have that weight and retain head spacing.

I made a batch of 75 Gr A-Max that is producing incredible results beyond 500 yds, but the COL is several .00ths longer than any standard magazine will accept. I've just been carefully breach loading them (and actually using the normally vestigial thumb assist). Not that I'm going to rip them off rapid fire or anything, but being lazy by nature I prefer to load from the magazine...
    MrBuckwheat likes this.
    “Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive." C.S. Lewis

If it's of any help, I use Fiocchi 77 grain match through my magazine on my Daniel Defense AR. I have never had any failure to feed or other stoppage.
    --Wyatt Earp

-- Wyatt Earp

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaeger View Post
    What 77gr bullet are you using? What is your Cartridge Overall Length? Are you loading them individually into your breach? If they'll load in a magazine I would really like to know who makes them short enough to have that weight and retain head spacing.

I made a batch of 75 Gr A-Max that is producing incredible results beyond 500 yds, but the COL is several .00ths longer than any standard magazine will accept. I've just been carefully breach loading them (and actually using the normally vestigial thumb assist). Not that I'm going to rip them off rapid fire or anything, but being lazy by nature I prefer to load from the magazine...

Sierra bullets #9377 LC brass. I don't load them in Mags just shoot them one off. There is no rapid fire string.

COAL 2.260 on the last batch Varget powder 23.5 gr with the CCI #41 primer ( I will switch that next time to the BR primers) 600 yards no problem unless there is a full value on the flags. Those Amax bullets are great! Love them I just have to work thru my boxes of Sierra bullets.
    Wyatt Earp

Quote Originally Posted by MrBuckwheat View Post
    Can't wait to try this thing, Im an iron site guy. Fancy stuff with batteries............
    Be VERY VERY careful.

You may start referring to yourself as an ex-iron sights guy.

EoTechs are almost as fun as a scope on a 22. You get spoiled real fast on how accurate you can be at speed.
    MrBuckwheat likes this.
    North Carolina Concealed Handgun Permit Instructor
    NRA Personal Protection and Basic Pistol Instructor

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links