Kel -Tec KSG 12 Gauge Shotgun

This is a discussion on Kel -Tec KSG 12 Gauge Shotgun within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; What do you folks think of this shotgun? I think it looks awesome for home defense! Do you think it's worth the money or would ...

Like Tree6Likes
  • 1 Post By WrongRecroom
  • 2 Post By Old_Dog
  • 1 Post By 10thmtn
  • 1 Post By TX expat
  • 1 Post By 47Gabe

Thread: Kel -Tec KSG 12 Gauge Shotgun

What do you folks think of this shotgun? I think it looks awesome for home defense! Do you think it's worth the money or would that money be better spent on something else? My LGS has one for about $1,150. It's pricey but it looks like an incredible gun!

(picture)
    https://encrypted-tbn2.gstatic.com/i...oDYy-lkbF5Vlu_

YouTube demonstration:

Distinguished Member Array DingBat's Avatar
    MAC didn't do so well with it. But this is an old video and I heard that "they have gotten better" - whatever that means.

for a grand I would rather have a carbine, as cool as the concept is, a good rifle/carbine is MUCH more versatile. you can get a COLT 6920 for about the same amount if coin.

Beans, Bullets, and Bandages. The only thing better than being ready is not having to use it!

Hmmm. Thanks for the feedback and the video. I think I'll pass.

I own one .. They are good guns ... News one are great ... But 1k is way too much ..800 or there about is a good price and they can be found at it ..
    Sister likes this.
    “Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.” H.L. Mencken
    "Vous ne les laisserez pas passer, mes camarades"
    "We're surrounded. That simplifies our problem of getting to these people and killing them."Chesty Puller

I prefer my Benelli SuperNova Tactical 12 gauge.
    I carry a gun, because a Cop is too heavy.

U.S. Army, Retired
    NRA Patron Life Member.

I shoot with a bunch of guys at a tactical shotgun shoot. Room clearing and such. A guy brought one of those and he couldn't make it run a full mag at all. It would jam every few shots. Get a plain jane 1100 or similar and put a 10 round tube on it and learn to reload it fast.

Distinguished Member
    I had a thousand or so to spend on guns last week and my LGS tried to interest me in this shotgun. However, the reviews I saw and read, all showed jamming problems so I told them no thank you. Unless they fixed their problem, I am not interested plus shotguns for home defense are only for those who will seek training on how to use them in a home. Try opening doors or holding the hand of a child with a gun that requires two hands to use. Most are not aware of the issues that arise with a home defense weapon that requires two hands to use.
    Sister and 3rdegree like this.
    If everyone had the same opinion, there would be no reason to give one. It is a given that each opinion is believed to be correct. It would be silly to post something you believed to be incorrect. :)

It is three bounding steps from my front door to the top of my stairs. I'm either going to solve the issue with one or two shotgun shells, or I'm going to be dead or going hand to hand. I don't see a need for that many shells in the gun, plus I would imagine the weight would make the gun slow to swing.
    TX expat likes this.
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, LCP (2), Mini 14; Marlin 336 .30-30; Mossberg 500
    CT Lasers

VIP Member
    It's a novelty piece or a very specific need piece; either way, its price tag is higher than its actual useful value IMO.

It's length would make it somewhat desirable for room clearing type work but I'm not at all convinced that it would do anything so well that it would be worth the price to own. Now ask me again when the zombie horde comes and I'm frantically reloading my trusty 870 (for the fourth time) and I might change my mind. Until then, I'd leave it rather than take it.
    Sister likes this.
    NRA Life Member

"I don't believe gun owners have rights." - Sarah Brady

Father in law has one, great fun gun, notes:

Fast swing, should be able to target faster with it.
    its really short and handy
    When one tube runs out there is a different noise, its small but there so you can change tubes

It should change tubes automatically
    Hard or harder to load
    No chokes
    Its a pump
    Its $1000
    Its $1000 and is not a semi
    Guns don't kill people, Guns save Lives.

If you want peace, prepare for war

Senior Member Array CommonCents's Avatar
    I have a recent manufactured one. No problems at all so far with 100 rounds. Gotta rack it firm. No problem w/ any ejected shell hitting wrist/arm. Shoots the mini shells fine as well so your capacity could be as high as 25 if you desire.

Look around, as they have ramped up production they should be able to be bought at 750-800. I just made a couple offers here and there on a new one and a dealer took it.

I have a Remington 870 with an extension tube filled with 00Buck.....for a lot less money.
    Chuck808 likes this.
    “Today is victory over yourself of yesterday; tomorrow is your victory over lesser men.”
    ― Miyamoto Musashi, A Book of Five Rings: The Classic Guide to Strategy

I looked at them, but have decided against such a pricy untested firearm. My 12ga coach gun makes a fine welcoming committee, and the Glock-21 presents ample backup for those not getting the 00 buck invitation to go elsewhere.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

If you want a reliable bullpup, and something fun to build... I have a Remington 870 I converted with a Bullpup kit. Works great, and was fun to build.

Bullpup Unlimited, Inc

Distinguished Member
    I've had a couple of play sessions with one belonging to a friend. It's a brutal gun to shoot heavy loads through. That aside, they were fun sessions but I wouldn't bet my life on it by any means. It delivers substantial recoil to the shooter and throughout the weapon, and as has been said it requires a firm and deliberate hand, and yet it's constructed of plastic. Doesn't add up.
    Savage Heartland

What if the Hokey Pokey IS what it's all about?

Links