New Toy - Beretta CX4 9mm / Range Report Added

This is a discussion on New Toy - Beretta CX4 9mm / Range Report Added within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I went to a gun show Saturday and finally found a CX4 in 9mm for the right price. Since I went to Beretta Day back ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Toy - Beretta CX4 9mm / Range Report Added

VIP Member

New Toy - Beretta CX4 9mm / Range Report Added

I went to a gun show Saturday and finally found a CX4 in 9mm for the right price. Since I went to Beretta Day back in July and fired the CX4 I have been looking for one priced right. A dealer that I often buy from got this one in last week. He had only been able to get .40 and .45 models for the last 6 months. This one had been on order for a while. The neat thing is that he got it at last year's price. Beretta raise prices by 7% as of the first of the year. I paid almost $75 less than the new cost for this carbine. One of the guys who works the tables said, "Jeff really likes you." I asked what he meant by that and he said that I was getting as good a price as he did. The deal also included 2 extra 15 round mags in addition to the 2 10 rounders that are included from the manufacturer.

I won't get to shoot my new toy until Thursday providing the weather cooperates. It didn't today. Before anybody says something about pics - here they are.

George

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe. Albert Einstein

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    They are really nice shooters....I tried one during the Beretta Day as well.

You need some nice new Mec-Gar 20 round mags for that bad boy!
    USAF: Loving Our Obscene Amenities Since 1947

Distinguished Member Array lowflyer's Avatar

Oh, sorry. My bad.

Nice gun. Congrats.
    Whatever doesn't kill you postpones the inevitable.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by srfl View Post
    They are really nice shooters....I tried one during the Beretta Day as well.

You need some nice new Mec-Gar 20 round mags for that bad boy!
    ProMag makes a 32 rounder that has gotten good reviews. I may try one of those before I get any 20s.
    George

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe. Albert Einstein

VIP Member
    ProMag huh?

I'll stick to Mec-Gar thanks.

Senior Moderator
    I am jealous George.

Now I have to convince my wife that we need a Storm now.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by srfl View Post
    ProMag huh?

I'll stick to Mec-Gar thanks.
    Except for having seen good reports on the ProMag 32 I would not bother. I have never had much success with them. Mec-Gar is good enough for SIG it's good enough for me. The Mec-Gars I have used have never had a problem and I prefer them. Fortunately, if the mag doesn't work Cheaper Than Dirt will refund my $22 or I can get the Mec-Gar for the same price.
    George

VIP Member
    I'm looking forward to the range report. I'm thinking of getting one, simply because I have an M9 and a BUNCH of mags for it, so it seems to be a good fit for a home defense combo. Does anyone know if the Storm reliably feeds JHPs such as the 124gr Hydra-Shok (my duty ammo)? Thanks!
    A man fires a rifle for many years, and he goes to war. And afterward he turns the rifle in at the armory, and he believes he's finished with the rifle. But no matter what else he might do with his hands - love a woman, build a house, change his son's diaper - his hands remember the rifle.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by dr_cmg View Post
    Except for having seen good reports on the ProMag 32 I would not bother. I have never had much success with them. Mec-Gar is good enough for SIG it's good enough for me. The Mec-Gars I have used have never had a problem and I prefer them. Fortunately, if the mag doesn't work Cheaper Than Dirt will refund my $22 or I can get the Mec-Gar for the same price.
    I hear ya George; I've never had a fully functioning ProMag magazine myself.

I love Mec-Gar; heck, they sent me a few 18 and 20-round magazines to test out. I met the owner and two of his VPs during the 2006 SHOT Show...I saw them again during this last SHOT Show...they are awesome folks; very proud of their products, but very humble as well.

Post a range report when you get a chance, sir!

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by OPFOR View Post
    I'm looking forward to the range report. I'm thinking of getting one, simply because I have an M9 and a BUNCH of mags for it, so it seems to be a good fit for a home defense combo. Does anyone know if the Storm reliably feeds JHPs such as the 124gr Hydra-Shok (my duty ammo)? Thanks!
    I'll be able to answer that question after I shoot it. I plan to fire some WWB 115gr., Remington FMJ 124 gr., Speer Gold Dots HP 147gr., Hydra-Shok 147gr., and CCI Blazer JHP 115gr. I should have a pretty good report on how it handles the various types after that.
    George

VIP Member
    Thanks dr_cmg. I am also interested to know how stock M9/92 mags work in the Cx4 - that is, do they require some sort of adaptor, or do the extended capacity mags, or both, or neither. In any case, beautiful weapon, and I look forward to the report!

Edit: Did some more research and seem to have answered most of my own questions...funny how that works, huh? Still - can't wait for the range report.
    Last edited by OPFOR; January 23rd, 2007 at 12:04 PM.
    A man fires a rifle for many years, and he goes to war. And afterward he turns the rifle in at the armory, and he believes he's finished with the rifle. But no matter what else he might do with his hands - love a woman, build a house, change his son's diaper - his hands remember the rifle.

Assistant Administrator
    As George knows, I have the rail on mine - fitted by original owner. That with a red dot is very nice combo. Must say, even at old prices this is NOT a cheap purchase - somewhat over priced IMO.

I shall be interested to hear how your trigger feels George - mine is attrocious - altho manageable and after a few shots I do adapt. I definitely will be trying to get round to doing a ''job'' on it myself or send it off.

Trigger aside - great gun and as I am always saying... despite the sorta ''Star Wars'' looks, once in hand and shooting, the thing feels superb. Ergonomics are deceptively good. Mine seems to eat any diet. I am pretty confident you WILL enjoy.

Make sure you have plenty of ammo - it's near as equal to .22 plinking, the way it consumes ammo.

Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

You'lll love it!
    Here's mine, all ready to go to war!

Been well-reviewed by those who own them & the Gun Press in general (easy to tell that shooters LIKE them because you don't find many used ones!). Trigger has been the only repeated issue and is addressed with a fix on "The Beretta Forum". Nice home defense pistol caliber carbine. I want one in .45 acp...then suppress it!

VIP Member

Range Report on CX4 Storm

This is not a full range report since the shooting was conducted on the local police range which is only 35 yards long. I was mostly doing a break in anyway.

I fired 100 rounds at 25 yards. 5 different brands used. 99 rounds hit on the torso of a silhouette target. The first round I fired was high.

16 rounds - Speer Gold Dots HP 147gr. no failures. This was what I had in the gun. 1 in the chamber and a full 10 round mag.
    10 rounds - Winchester White Box 115gr. no failures.
    15 rounds - CCI Blazer JHP 115gr. no failures.
    10 rounds - Federal Hydra-Shok 147gr. no failures.
    35 rounds - Remington FMJ 124 gr. no failures. 2 15 round mags and 5 in a 10 rounder. This was all of the Remington I had.
    14 rounds - WWB 115gr. no failures. In a 15 round mag to finish 100.

No failure to feed, no failure to eject. There was a difference in where I had to aim to hit COM when using the WWB and the CCI. The 115 gr. rounds had to be aimed an inch or so lower than the 147 gr. The 124 gr. Remingtons seemed to hit about the same spot as the 147 gr.

I have decided that I need the top accessory rail and about a 2X red dot. My eyes are bad and while lineless bi-focals work great for focusing on the front sight of handguns they don't work well with the Beretta. What happens is that everything is a little blurry. And since my eyes are bad why bother with a 1X like the Burris that Beretta sell? I need all the advantage I can get, so 2X for my in between handgun and rifle weapon.

The trigger seemed fine to me. It wasn't rough nor did it break oddly. It broke cleanly for me and was not too long a pull. Of course I sold my wife's Kel-Tec P-11 because neither of us could stand the trigger. So my opinion of what is a bad trigger may be a bit different from others.

All in all I had a ball. I want to get some hi-cap mags and the scope soon. The wife and I will be shooting up a Storm with the CX4. (Pun intended.)
    George

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links