How much neglect can an AK take?

This is a discussion on How much neglect can an AK take? within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; There are many debates that start in these forums about AK vs AR. I like them both and plan to have both one day, but ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree56Likes

Thread: How much neglect can an AK take?

There are many debates that start in these forums about AK vs AR.

I like them both and plan to have both one day, but at this time only have the AK platform.

Yep, it's not sleek and gorgeous like the AR line, but it is extremely reliable.

Considering that I purchased it for the express purpose of being my go to survival/SHTF/TEOTWAWKI firearm, I thought it would fit the bill perfectly, and it has.

Here is a video of an AK that has been neglected for quite a long time...will it work?

Watch the video and see.

Distinguished Member Array 47Gabe's Avatar
    AK's are the Glocks of the rifle world. They are wayyyy more reliable than any AR or M4 period. Motor oil and a shoe string to clean them up? No sweat.
    “Today is victory over yourself of yesterday; tomorrow is your victory over lesser men.”
    ― Miyamoto Musashi, A Book of Five Rings: The Classic Guide to Strategy

Not sure of your definition of survival rifle, but if it includes hunting small game for food, you are better served with a 10/22, a brick of ammo, and a sidearm to back it up. You can only carry so much.

For defending in place, an AK will do. So will other guns. Pack enough junk into the receiver and any semi auto will jam up.

That said, most AKs tend to be fairly tolerant of benign neglect and some outright abuse.
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, Mini 14; Marlin 336 .30-30; Mossberg 500
    CT Lasers

Military Arms Channel put up a video of dumping dirt into the action and into a full magazine of an AK and an AR. The AK ran like a top, the AR fired one shot, then jammed. You could actually see the dirt falling out of the AK with each shot. It was pretty sweet.

On another video, Carnick Con on youtube put a ham sandwich into the action of a full auto AK, and did a mag dump... the AK took and it asked for more.

I have been an AK guy for quite some time, because they seem to be able to take more abuse than an AR, but an AR is quicker on mag changes, and a bit more accurate, in my experience.
    47Gabe, oneshot and RScottie like this.
    Though defensive violence will always be a sad necessity in the eyes of men of principle, it would be still more unfortunate if wrongdoers should dominate just men -St. Augustine

Distinguished Member Array 47Gabe's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Badey View Post
    Military Arms Channel put up a video of dumping dirt into the action and into a full magazine of an AK and an AR. The AK ran like a top, the AR fired one shot, then jammed. You could actually see the dirt falling out of the AK with each shot. It was pretty sweet.

On another video, Carnick Con on youtube put a ham sandwich into the action of a full auto AK, and did a mag dump... the AK took and it asked for more.

I have been an AK guy for quite some time, because they seem to be able to take more abuse than an AR, but an AR is quicker on mag changes, and a bit more accurate, in my experience.
    That's hilarious...
    “Today is victory over yourself of yesterday; tomorrow is your victory over lesser men.”
    ― Miyamoto Musashi, A Book of Five Rings: The Classic Guide to Strategy

Quote Originally Posted by 10thmtn View Post
    Not sure of your definition of survival rifle, but if it includes hunting small game for food, you are better served with a 10/22, a brick of ammo, and a sidearm to back it up. You can only carry so much.

For defending in place, an AK will do. So will other guns. Pack enough junk into the receiver and any semi auto will jam up.

That said, most AKs tend to be fairly tolerant of benign neglect and some outright abuse.
    I believe that survival will require a rifle capable of handling much more than ground squirrels and rabbits. But for those I have a decided to go with spring air pellet rifles. The ammo is far cheaper and a .177 pellet at 1200 fps is quite capable of taking small game.

For my ability to defend my castle and my family, we have went with AK47's. My whole family shoots them well and one cannot ignore the reliability factor, especially when proper cleaning and maintenance may be delayed until it is safe to do so.

My point with this video is that the AK is quite able to handle far more than most people would ever put it through and still come out with the ability to fire.

This is a huge plus in my book.
    mano3 likes this.

Distinguished Member Array coffeecup's Avatar
    Having fired more than my share of both----An AK is great,until you actually need to hit what you are aiming at , at a reasonable distance. Loose tolerances are fine for reliability ,but hell on accuracy !
    Happypuppy and maxwell97 like this.

VIP Member

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Military Arms gets an AK a bit dusty.

I have the predecessor to the (the SKS), and feel it is almost as useable under the same circumstances.

EDIT;

I still haven't come across one( a video) showing an AR fired under the same conditions.
    RScottie likes this.
    I would rather die with good men than hide with cowards
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.
    Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy."

M&Pc .357sig, 2340Sigpro .357sig

Quote Originally Posted by coffeecup View Post
    Having fired more than my share of both----An AK is great,until you actually need to hit what you are aiming at , at a reasonable distance. Loose tolerances are fine for reliability ,but hell on accuracy !
    How do you define "reasonable distance"?

In my neighborhood, you cannot even see further than 80-90 yards.

I can hit bad guy sized targets in the torso with open sights from over 100 yards with my AK. My kids can do the same.

If we need to reach out further, we have scoped rifles to rely upon.
    oneshot likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by RScottie View Post
    How do you define "reasonable distance"?

In my neighborhood, you cannot even see further than 80-90 yards.

I can hit bad guy sized targets in the torso with open sights from over 100 yards with my AK. My kids can do the same.

If we need to reach out further, we have scoped rifles to rely upon.
    I think that's it. Whatever's reasonable to one's circumstances.

And, off the battlefield, for most folks it's likely sub-100yds is going to be what's reasonable.
    RScottie and StormRhydr like this.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by oneshot View Post

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Military Arms gets an AK a bit dusty.

I have the predecessor to the (the SKS), and feel it is almost as useable under the same circumstances.

EDIT;

I still haven't come across one( a video) showing an AR fired under the same conditions.
    The AK, also known as the "Sandbox Gun," as it's the only gun I let my kids take when they wanted to play in the sandbox.
    RScottie, Badey and Doghandler like this.
    -PEF, a Framer with a Steelie...
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    1. All guns are always loaded.
    2. Never let the muzzle cover anything you are not willing to destroy.
    3. Keep your finger off the trigger until your sights are on the target.
    4. Be sure of your target and what is beyond it.

Having fired several real AK-47s in Viet Nam, I was never impressed with them. They were built very sloppy to be reliable with almost no maintenance. Their ballistics are similar to the .30-30 Winchester. I would choose a lever-action .30-30 over an AK for survival.
    Yetiman likes this.
    I carry a gun, because a Cop is too heavy.

U.S. Army, Retired
    NRA Patron Life Member.

Quote Originally Posted by LimaCharlie View Post
    Having fired several real AK-47s in Viet Nam, I was never impressed with them. They were built very sloppy to be reliable with almost no maintenance. Their ballistics are similar to the .30-30 Winchester. I would choose a lever-action .30-30 over an AK for survival.
    Check out some of the newer ones that are being built for the US Market. I would not call them sloppy by no means.

I chose to add an sks to my collection for the potential to be neglected in a direction situation. Variety is the spice of life and I think both the AR and the AK and it's varients have a place. I like the AR platform for ergonomics, I prefer the sks/AK round for ballistics. Although like Charlie I prefer my .30-30,lever gun to both.

That being said, I'd probably grab the 10/22 if I could only take one
    BigJon

"Better to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool than to open it and remove all doubt" ~ Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by RScottie View Post
    Check out some of the newer ones that are being built for the US Market. I would not call them sloppy by no means.

The higher the tolerances in a gun, the more maintenance required. I much prefer my Winchester 94 for accuracy with similar ballistics. I do have a Colt LE6920 5.56X45 and an Armalite AR-10 7.62X51.
    manolito likes this.
    I carry a gun, because a Cop is too heavy.

U.S. Army, Retired
    NRA Patron Life Member.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links