Bought a CX4, Now what suppressor?

This is a discussion on Bought a CX4, Now what suppressor? within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; After HotGuns mentioned threading a Beretta CX4 Storm for a suppressor... and getting a suppressor had been in the back of my mind for a ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree29Likes

Thread: Bought a CX4, Now what suppressor?

Bought a CX4, Now what suppressor?

After HotGuns mentioned threading a Beretta CX4 Storm for a suppressor... and getting a suppressor had been in the back of my mind for a while... and the more I read about this pistol caliber carbine the more I wanted one... I bought one. Earlier today I hit the buy now on a used 9mm CX4 on GB. It looks, and the gal in the shop agreed, new. It comes with three 92 mags, which is perfect because if I ever get a Beretta pistol it will be the 92, so the pair will make a handy setup. Oh, and the bonus; The carbine comes with a threaded barrel already. Right now it has a muzzle brake on it.

So from what I've gathered from one of my earlier threads and the recent ones, it's a good idea to oversize the suppressor caliber so it can be used on other guns. So in this case would a .45acp suppressor be good? That way I can get a threaded barrel for one of my 1911's... assuming the threads are the same size anyway. Maybe they make adapters Or, because primary use will be on the carbine, for both plinking and also my "in the corner grab as I run out the door gun", should I opt for a larger can? One that could work on (perhaps) one of my .308's? Would that can be unrealistic on a 1911? I don't want something so large that it will take away from the small size of the CX4. And again, primary use will be on the CX4. It might never come off for all I know. Maybe I should just get a 9mm suppressor

Any thoughts?
    Eric357 and redbirddog5 like this.

A lot of suppressors have removable pistons that allow you to swap them out for different thread pitches/calibers. I have a Silencerco Osprey 45 can on my nightstand gun. If I were ever to get a pistol caliber carbine I could attach it to the carbine. one thing to keep in mind is that if the suppressor uses a piston you will need to purchase a fixed barrel spacer for it as most pistol caliber suppressors come with a booster assembly for the pistons.

The only other consideration I would want to make is ensure I have rounds that won't go supersonic in the longer barrel of the carbine.
    PAcanis likes this.

Sponsor
    I always tell people to by a silencer for the caliber that you will be shooting the most. So if you shoot a lot of 45 then get a 45 silencer and use it on the 9. If you don't shoot the 45 much then get the 9mm silencer. It will cost less be shorter and lighter, also it will sound better on the 9mm that the 45 will. As far as running it on both calibers you just need to change the piston in the silencer to use it on both guns.
    You can't shoot a rifle caliber on a pistol silencer so using either one for the 308 is out.
    If you want to keep thing short I would look at the Griffin Armament Revolution 9. It can be shortened down to the K style and is still quiet. We just did a video on it not to long ago.
    PAcanis likes this.
    Silencer Shop
    Stocking dealer for AAC, SilencerCo, Gemtech, Surefire, Griffin Armament, Dead Air, Bowers, Thompson Machine, Thunder Beast and YHM
    www.silencershop.com / Like us on Facebook / Instagram
    512-931-4556

I've had great results using a .45 can built by X-Caliber.

Its light, its user serviceable and it does a great job on 9MM, .40 ,45 and its rated for subsonic .300 Blackout. In fact it sounds better on the Blackout than some 30 cans do.

The creator (John Titsworth) is no stranger to the NFA world, as he meters the cans for sound for many of the manufacturers and has been doing so for quite awhile.

That X Caliber can is the quietest one that I know of. Having sold lots of .45 cans from most manufacturers, its an excellent can for the money.

That Beretta Carbine barrel is pretty thin, so if you get it threaded, thread it for the 1/2"-28 threads so that any 9mm can will fit on it. Even if you get a .45, you can buy an adapter that threads right into most of the cans out there. With a carbine you wont need the Nielson Device, you'll just want the hard mount.
    PAcanis likes this.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

I'm kind of replying to the three replies in one thread. A lot of advice was way over my head.

The Class III in my area, which is also my main gun shop, sells Silencerco. Would they know if I needed that spacer?
    Am I to understand that the quietest suppressor will be one that's an exact caliber/fit?
    The barrel is already threaded like I mentioned. Would an adapter be available if the threads are different from the suppressor? I was hoping this type of barrel threading, whether for a can or a brake, would be a common size/pattern.
    I didn't know that suppressors were only for subsonic rounds. So even a .223 would have to be loaded to subsonic velocity?

The Class III in my area, which is also my main gun shop, sells Silencerco. Would they know if I needed that spacer?
    They should.

Am I to understand that the quietest suppressor will be one that's an exact caliber/fit?
    Usually. Even so, some calibers sound pretty danged good even if the baffles are a bit big.

The barrel is already threaded like I mentioned. Would an adapter be available if the threads are different from the suppressor?

Yes.

I was hoping this type of barrel threading, whether for a can or a brake, would be a common size/pattern.
    It should be. Notice that I said "should" as I have encountered barrels that someone threaded that didn't fit anything other than a muzzle brake which may have required a specific thread.

I didn't know that suppressors were only for subsonic rounds. So even a .223 would have to be loaded to subsonic velocity?
    They are not only for subsonic rounds. Most rifle suppressors will take supersonic rounds. The big difference is in sound. A subsonic round will be much quieter because it never breaks the supersonic barrier, which is that loud CRACK that you hear when a bullet comes out of a barrel. Even a jet flying past the "sound barrier" will make a boom.

A lot of people are disappointed at a suppressor when it is fired with supersonic ammo because it is louder than what they thought it should be. It will still in most cases be what is known as "hearing safe" meaning that you don't have to wear ear protection.
    Subsonic rounds are so much quieter that someone standing in the front yard might no know that someone in the back yard is shooting.
    PAcanis, atctimmy and redbirddog5 like this.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL

VIP Member
    AAC is running their "Damn the Man" special until the end of the year. Purchase a TiRant (maybe others, that's the one I bought) and get $200 for use of anything on their website.

Buy one in .45 and then by the adapter with the $200 credit. And then let the waiting begin......
    PAcanis likes this.

Thanks, HG. that cleared a lot up.
    And I guess I misunderstood beni when he said to make sure no rounds go supersonic.

So... in your opinion... using Silencerco, would I be better off getting the 9mm or the 45 can if primary use is on the Beretta?
    Or should I try to get one of those X-Calibers?

Sorry I might not have elaborated on the supersonic. Hotguns was able to clear that up.

Part of the reason why I went with the .45 can was because I could use it on 9mm, .40, and .45 caliber guns. Silencerco had a lot of comparison videos on their website where they would shoot all three calibers out of a .45 Osprey. They measured each shot with a sound meter and the difference in sound wasn't too far apart to make me want a 9mm specific can since that is what most my handguns are chambered in.

Video of themshooting multi calibers with their Osprey Cans with the sound meter

Honestly whether you get a .45 or 9mm would be a personal choice. I can say that once you buy one you can catch the bug and want to do more with NFA stuff. I first started with my Osprey and now I have a surefire rifle can and an SBR.
    PAcanis and Jaeger like this.

Uh your breaking the law silencing the rifle ... Your breaking 922r ... No threading on a imported sporting gun .. Why mine is not threaed .. It is very very no no .. Sure no one has been busted for 922r breaking and some will say it does not apply to non importers but still your making a sporting rifle non ..Thus need 922R parts ...

That said if the rifle is pre threaded then you should be ok as the last owner should have done 922R work .. But it is a gray arrea

Now your talking handgun then no you fine 922r is not handgun stuff

Why I buy American for Silencer rifle
    “Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.” H.L. Mencken
    "Vous ne les laisserez pas passer, mes camarades"
    "We're surrounded. That simplifies our problem of getting to these people and killing them."Chesty Puller

Now for silencer imop buy one that does muilt cal .. Look at the Libreaty mystic Mystic | Liberty Suppressors - Firearm Sound Suppressor and World Class Silencer .. Fires close to 25 rounds ..

My go to Silenced rifle is a 9mm colt with a AAC 45 can ... I like 45 cans ... 45 to me is prefer most ammo is subsonic

Most rifle and handguns in the USA are common thread either 1/2x28 or the 45 threading for center-fire handguns .. USP and euro guns and some 9mm rifle will have different threading .... Many cans now have piston on them so you can swap out what kind of thread .. The AAC has 5 or 6 different pistons for 1911 to 9mms to 40cal and so on

For a handgun you do want user serviceable esp if your shooting 22lr

I say if you have a 45 go 45 it tends to be quiter then most 9mm..
    PAcanis likes this.
    “Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.” H.L. Mencken
    "We're surrounded. That simplifies our problem of getting to these people and killing them."Chesty Puller

Here if this helps is roughly a 32 caliber round being fired with a 45 AAC silencer

and a 45 USP with the same can

and a 45 rifle

Still loud but hearing safe ..

Me right now I am looking at adding a 30cal and 22lr can

Thanks for the vid, beni.
    While the .45 thru .45 was quiet and the 9mm thru .45 was quiet, the 9mm thru the 9mm was a lot quieter. So much so that I think I'm leaning towards a 9mm suppressor.
    Excellent vid.

That's up to you of course.

But...if you get a .45 can, you'll be able to use it for anything else later on. To be honest, the tradeoff between being able to be used on anything, verses a 9mm can that might be just a bit quieter is worth it.

SilencerCo is good. I'm personally not crazy about their design but some people like it because you can still use your factory sights. You cant do that with all cans.

AAC Tirant is a good one too.

After selling most of them out there, I believe that the newer X-Caliber has them beat.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL

Uh your breaking the law silencing the rifle ... Your breaking 922r ... No threading on a imported sporting gun .. Why mine is not threaed .. It is very very no no .. Sure no one has been busted for 922r breaking and some will say it does not apply to non importers but still your making a sporting rifle non ..Thus need 922R parts ...
    Wrong.

922R only applies if you intent to resale guns.

Also, there are guns...imports...that are coming in threaded. A lot of that silly stuff went away with the Brady Bill when the sunset clause set.
    Recon1342 likes this.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links