Tactical Shotgun Fun

This is a discussion on Tactical Shotgun Fun within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Yesterday, I had a chance to run through a tactical scenario with a shotgun and it was a blast (pun intended ). The scenario that ...

Thread: Tactical Shotgun Fun

Tactical Shotgun Fun

Yesterday, I had a chance to run through a tactical scenario with a shotgun and it was a blast (pun intended ). The scenario that you were experiencing a home invasion robbery and had to maneuver through a doorway engaging targets beyond. After everybody did the scenario with pistols one of the guys went through it with his shotgun. He was generous enough to offer anyone who wanted to a chance to do the scenario with his shotgun. That was an offer I just couldn't refuse.

I've only shot a shotgun a couple of times (shooting skeet, and just putting holes in targets on the range) so this was a new experience for me. However, I have read John Farnam's rifle and shotgun book (I got it mainly for the rifle stuff) so I did have some idea what to do, but not any real-world experience or training.

A couple of observations:

1) A shotgun can be difficult to maneuver in close quarters. Fully pieing the space beyond the doorway involved maneuvering through an area where there was less than 3 feet of space between the corner you were pieing and the wall behind you (when I did it with my pistol, I had to use a compressed low ready). With the shotgun it was difficult to get through this space without the barrel projecting out around the corner. I used the assault fire position (stock tucked under the armpit) and still had to drop the barrel quite a bit to get through.

2) Pump-action shotguns are simple, but they aren't that simple. I short-stroked the shotgun during the drill, and ended up pointing it at the target and getting a 'click' rather than a 'bang'. Pump-action shotguns are often recommended as a home defense gun for novices because of their simplicity. While they are simple, that obviously doesn't mean that training and practice are unnecessary. In a real situation, short stroking the shotgun could have gotten me killed (though in this case it provided a good opportunity to practice transitioning to my pistol). There are probably a lot of people out there who expect to defend themselves with the shotgun in their closet who don't have any real knowledge (or recent practice) in using the thing. As with any other defensive firearm, practice and training are a must!

Overall, I still think I'd prefer a rifle for home defense, but a shotgun is pretty impressive in the role. A shotgun is definitely on my list of guns to acquire (yeah, it's a long list).

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Blackeagle View Post
    Pump-action shotguns are simple, but they aren't that simple.
    This is the main reason I prefer the "point and click" interface with my Benelli M1. I own a Remington 870, but need a whole lot more practice with it to have the pump action become a reflex action.

Thanks for the good write-up...
    "I surrounded 'em"- Alvin York

"They're ain't many troubles that a man can't fix with seven hundred dollars and a thirty ought six"- Jeff Cooper

If you enjoyed that, try USPSA 3 gun or others if in your area.

It's a blast.

Dave

FUN

Hey, Blackeagle... I was happy to run across this post. I had fun shooting shotguns with you yesterday.

I very much agree that if you are going to bet your life on a "tool" it is wise to train with said tool.

I'm sure that we will do some more scatter gun stuff when it warms up. Last summer I shot a guys winchester super X2 semi set up for three gun competition. If it wasn't pushing $700-$800 I would own one now. It was a very quick gun. For a lefty, it really spit a lot of junk back in my face.

I had fun with the transitions as well.

P.S. the UDPL guys do a great three gun match at the farm.
    "Guns aren’t toys! They’re for protecting your family, hunting dangerous or delicious animals and keeping the King of England out of your face!"
    -Crusty the Clown

Keep your booger hook off the kill switch 'till you bead the boogeyman!

Quote Originally Posted by Robin Hood View Post
    I'm sure that we will do some more scatter gun stuff when it warms up.
    I'm looking forward to doing more shotgun and rifle stuff. It was a lot of fun.

Go dove hunting. If you shoot as well as I do, you will get plenty of practice rackin' the slide on your shotgun, not to mention "tactical reloads" as more birds come in.
    If he was gonna decorate his bar with my friend, he shoulda armed himself.

VIP Member
    Pump-action shotguns are simple, but they aren't that simple. I short-stroked the shotgun during the drill, and ended up pointing it at the target and getting a 'click' rather than a 'bang'.
    A friend and instructor once said that pump shotguns are like naughty girlfriends...... and I can't say the rest 'cause it will get me banned but I think you get the idea.

The other thing you may want to do is make sure your shottie is empty and rack it about 50 times a day for a week till the action is smooth as it will get.
    You have to make the shot when fire is smoking, people are screaming, dogs are barking, kids are crying and sirens are coming.
    Randy Cain.

Ego will kill you. Leave it at home.
    Signed: Me!

Senior Moderator
    I've been wanting to take a tactial shotgun class for a while.

I go bird hunting a lot and hope that will prevent me from shortstroking.
    Sometimes I wonder who the old man in the mirror is....

Lord, Grant me a good sword and no need to use it.

Quote Originally Posted by swedgin View Post
    Go dove hunting. If you shoot as well as I do, you will get plenty of practice rackin' the slide on your shotgun, not to mention "tactical reloads" as more birds come in.
    Do doves shoot back?
    "Guns aren’t toys! They’re for protecting your family, hunting dangerous or delicious animals and keeping the King of England out of your face!"
    -Crusty the Clown

Keep your booger hook off the kill switch 'till you bead the boogeyman!

Links