I'm gonna try a piston system on my 12.5" AR - because...

This is a discussion on I'm gonna try a piston system on my 12.5" AR - because... within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Yesterday, I was at the range shooting and was using some Lancer 10 round mags: Lancer is about all I use anymore. I have a ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree26Likes

Thread: I'm gonna try a piston system on my 12.5" AR - because...

Senior Moderator

Yesterday, I was at the range shooting and was using some Lancer 10 round mags: Lancer is about all I use anymore. I have a couple of mags that are essentially clear - or they were to begin with.

I noticed yesterday the clear plastic had a brown tint to them - the were dirty as could be!

Hmmm, this isn't good. I shoot this gun mostly with a suppressor, but I use a Syric Ordnance adjustable gas block, and have it tuned for the suppressor, so I shouldn't be getting any more 'dirt' from the direct impingement than I would without the suppressor. In any event, the filthy mag kinda made the point. That plus a lot of grime in the upper and lower receivers, and the BCG looked distinctly different than normal. And, I see normal a lot, because I shoot a lot! Anyway....

That was the straw that broke the camel's back. I've taken the side that the direct impingement is reliable and time proven, and piston systems are an unnecessary expense. Also, all that dirt will just collect in the piston/cylinder and well, you know.

However, the claim is that the 'dirt' and gas is expelled from the piston and doesn't collect. Weeeell...

Adams Arms must be having a sale. Their piston system for a lightweight barrel sells for $288. BUT, a kit is available with a choice of length of VooDoo barrel for only another $99! I say only, not because $99 isn't much, but because the VooDoo Barrels I've been pricing are going for like $235!

One of the things I like about the kit, is the gas block has three settings: normal, half, and closed. Half for the suppressor, and closed to prevent the bolt from cycling - should be the ultimate quite.

So, I'm going to give it a try and see what I see.
    I'm too young to be this old!
    Getting old isn't good for you!

A very experienced friend of mine who had to train with "indigenous" weapons on a few continents never warmed up to the direct impingement action of the AR. Said he didn't trust a gun that "poops where it eats." Sounds like you're seeing some of that!
    10thmtn, ccw9mm and molleur like this.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member
    NROI Chief Range Officer

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by gasmitty View Post
    A very experienced friend of mine who had to train with "indigenous" weapons on a few continents never warmed up to the direct impingement action of the AR. Said he didn't trust a gun that "poops where it eats." Sounds like you're seeing some of that!
    I think so - whew, poop describes it. Of course though, as I mentioned in the OP, the DI has certainly passed the test of time. OTOH, it just really looks to me like all that grime has to be accelerating wear.

I've kinda been hiding my head in the sand about this. For me, it's not that DI doesn't work or isn't reliable, but it is dirty, you get gas discharge from the ejection port, and you get gas in your face from around the cocking handle - there are/were some 'gas blocking/diverting handles made to address the blow-back problem. Although the latter isn't that bad unless you add a suppressor.

The tough question is a piston system, about $288, justified because of dirt - it is pretty easy and cheap to clean an AR. That's something each person will have to decide. I'm gonna try one. The problem I'm looking at is that fixes one AR What about my other ARs? That could get expensive.
    bmcgilvray and gen3 like this.

You're not the first person to purchase a new "gun" because the old one was dirty.

Have you tried Fire Clean? I've heard good things when run with a suppressor.
    WHEC724 likes this.

The tyrant dies and his rule is over, the martyr dies and his rule begins. ― The Journals of Kierkegaard

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Rock and Glock View Post
    You're not the first person to purchase a new "gun" because the old one was dirty.
    You know, you don't have to tell everything I thought I had this one pretty well disguised.

Have you tried Fire Clean? I've heard good things when run with a suppressor.
    Hmmm, have not heard of that???
    Rock and Glock likes this.

Distinguished Member
    +1 for Fire Clean... Slip2000 is good as well. Dirt pretty much wipes away :)
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    The Second Amendment *IS* Homeland Security
    --------------------- Μολὼν λαβέ ----------------------

I'd definitely go with the piston with the suppressor, at least. The old logic of not "pooping" where it eats is a factor worthy of consideration.
    The piston system is butt easy to clean and is not often, 5 mins w a pipe-cleaner. Reason to change-out the other DI ARs?

I have found it is usually cheaper to sell a DI and pick up a Piston AR with little extra cost, unless you have too much into the unit you want to switch. However, the cost is certainly minimal to just change-out for the piston & barrel.
    A new Adams Arms AR only runs $700. max with the piston system. Prob less after the big Christmas rush.
    With the AR glut, I expect prices to sink fast. I recently bought a 'quality' flat top, railed AR for $469. w Magnetic Partical insp BCG, Troy parts, & adj stock, same level rail on gas port, zero sacrifices, (except not chrome lined), but it is an extra.

Excessive grime makes me wonder about ammo used.
    molleur likes this.
    Retired State Trooper (40 long years) 8 years State Range Instructor - BS Degree- Justice, MS Degree- Criminology
    All forms of Gun Control are Unconstitutional / Illegal and beyond the scope of the US. Supreme Court.
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one"- Luke 22:36

The tyrant dies and his rule is over, the martyr dies and his rule begins. ― The Journals of Kierkegaard

Distinguished Member
    Recently purchased an AA upper, very pleased with it. Runs clean, you can clean it with a dry rag if you don't bother
    cleaning the barrel conventionally. Runs cool and no blowback!
    "Don't shout for help at night, you may wake your neighbors"

Is Adams Arms the top of the line when it comes to piston systems/kits?

Tangle - If that is the same 12.5 you just built that is a tack driver, don't fix what aint broke.
    sdprof and rocky like this.
    Sticks

Grasseater // Grass~eat~er noun, often attributive \ˈgras-ē-tər\
    A person who is incapable of independent thought; a person who is herd animal-like in behavior; one who cannot distinguish between right and wrong; a foolish person.
    See also Sheep

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Sticks View Post
    Tangle - If that is the same 12.5 you just built that is a tack driver, don't fix what aint broke.
    I hear ya!

The kit comes with an 11.5" VooDoo barrel and I'll use that barrel on an upper receiver from one of my other ARs.

Senior Moderator
    I am going to have to try some of that!!! Thanks for the tip!

Here's what my poor mags look like - they are supposed to be clear - they were when I first got them The one on the left is clean for comparison:

I'd hate to see what my old Colt and Cooper mags I kept when I left the service look like inside.

They have never been cleaned, and still work fine.
    gasmitty and rocky like this.
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by glockman10mm View Post
    I'd hate to see what my old Colt and Cooper mags I kept when I left the service look like inside.

They have never been cleaned, and still work fine.
    I know! I never clean mags - I know you're supposed to, but....

This is the curse of the see through mags - you can see what's going on.
    gen3, bmcgilvray and 10thmtn like this.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links