What AR 15 type rifle would you get for multi-purpose use?

This is a discussion on What AR 15 type rifle would you get for multi-purpose use? within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I will admit I am more of a newbie when it comes to a rifle than a pistol. (and many of you know how new ...

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
Like Tree150Likes

Thread: What AR 15 type rifle would you get for multi-purpose use?

Distinguished Member

I will admit I am more of a newbie when it comes to a rifle than a pistol. (and many of you know how new I am to pistols)

I'm not ready to get a rifle yet (more research needed and $$$), but I am very curious.

What caliber and rifle platform is more geared to a all purpose (HD, Small hunting, Zombie attack)?

22, .223, .308, 5.56, 7.62, etc
    and do they all fit the same platform?

If there is a white paper or a website that explains all these calibers and rifles, that would be great to know.

Thanks
    Nehemiah 4:14: “Don’t be afraid of them. Remember the Lord who is great and awesome, and draw your PX4 & your CZ and fight for your brothers, your sons and your daughters, your wives and your homes.”

NRA Lifetime Member
    Full Time Firearm Student

AR15 Discussions: FAQ - Read First! - AR15.COM

There is a list of all the calibers that will "fit" in a standard AR-15 lower.

.308 will be a different Lower Receiver.

Honestly, the 5.56/.223 might not be the most versatile round out there (there are better performing ones to be sure) but the sheer volume of parts available make it, in my opinion, the best caliber to start your first build/buy on.

I stopped reading your post after "zombie."
    40Cal365, gen3, munch520 and 1 others like this.

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ZacMan1987 View Post
    AR15 Discussions: FAQ - Read First! - AR15.COM

There is a list of all the calibers that will "fit" in a standard AR-15 lower.

.308 will be a different Lower Receiver.

Honestly, the 5.56/.223 might not be the most versatile round out there (there are better performing ones to be sure) but the sheer volume of parts available make it, in my opinion, the best caliber to start your first build/buy on.
    Thanks. I knew there had to be a site to answer most of my beginner questions.
    Nehemiah 4:14: “Don’t be afraid of them. Remember the Lord who is great and awesome, and draw your PX4 & your CZ and fight for your brothers, your sons and your daughters, your wives and your homes.”

NRA Lifetime Member

You ask a good question, but there are as many different answers as there are people willing to answer. Here's some "tip of the iceberg" info:

.223 is the "sporting" version of the 5.56x45 military cartridge. There are some slight chamber differences between the two, but if you're Hadji or a groundhog you won't notice the difference.

.308 and 7.62x51 are also very similar; the .308 is the "sporting" round and the 7.62x51 is the military round. I'll skip the history lesson about which cartridges came first and the detail differences a shooter needs to pay attention to.

The AR-15 is chambered fundamentally in the .223/5.56 cartridge, and in variations which are short enough to fit both the magazine and the bolt travel. These include the 6.5 Grendel, the 6.8 SPC and the .300 Blackout. There are others, but these are the most common.

For the longer .308/7.62x51, the AR-10 is the host platform. The receiver is larger to accommodate the longer cartridge and its magazine. These are generally more expensive then the AR-15s, because the .308/7.62 is loaded to a higher pressure than the .223/5.56 and variants and thus requires greater structural strength.

With that basic stuff out of the way, the next thing is your intended use of the gun. (For brevity, from here on I'll skip the metric designations.) The .308 is a more powerful cartridge then the .223, but the .223 is successfully used on everything from prairie dogs to hogs and deer - with ammunition suited to each purpose. .223 ammo is almost always cheaper than .308. If shooting military matches is your thing and you like the AR platform, then you're shooting .223 (you can shoot .308, but it will be in an M1A or a converted Garand).

With regard to downrange effectiveness, the .223 will have a lot flatter trajectory then the .308, but its lighter bullet (55 gr range) won't have the retained energy of the heavier .308 (150 gr range) bullet. Both can be loaded for accurate paper-punching hundreds of yards beyond the range at which a responsible hunter can take game. In plinking use, the .308 can make stuff jump a LOT more than the .223 can!

For defensive purposes, there is ammo available in .223 specifically for defensive use which will minimize over-penetration. I'm not aware of any .308 ammo which can make the same claim.

There are any number of forums dedicated to the AR guns, but be wary of armchair commandos with hyper-strong opinions. Probably the biggest is ar15.com, a/k/a "arfcom." Go forth and absorb knowledge!
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member
    NROI Chief Range Officer

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Captains1911 View Post
    I stopped reading your post after "zombie."
    That's ok, I didn't mean to offend you or anyone else with commonly used terms. I meant it only as someone else might say etc.
    Eric357, darbo and gen3 like this.

NRA Lifetime Member

Distinguished Member
    Thanks Gasmitty That answered a lot of what I was most curious about. What shocks me is a .223 can take down a deer. I never would have imagined.

NRA Lifetime Member

You can get an AR-15 style rifle in all those calibers. 308 variation's are known as the AR-10.

22 - good for hunting small game, squirrel, rabbits and such. Wouldn't use for HD or ZOMBIES unless you had no other option. Ammo usually cheap and easy to find, but more difficult the past year or two.

5.56/223 - If your'e rifle is chambered for 5.56 it will also shoot 223. If your'e rifle is chambered for 223 DO NOT shoot 5.56 from it. Good HD round and and though not the preferred round for an animal like deer it can take them down if needed.
    Plenty of ammo available and very common as this is the primary chambering of the AR-15 rifles.

7.62X39 - This is the primary chambering of AK47 variants and the SKS, but can also be had in the AR15 platform, with parts and mags being more difficult to get ahold of. Ballistics similar to the 30-30 winchester so it is a good manstopper and medium
    game taker at shorter ranges. Ammo very easy to find and relatively cheap.

7.62X51/308 - Found in AR-10 variations, capable of taking almost any animal that you are going to find in North America at least! Probably to much for HD unless you live way out there because this round will go through ALOT without stopping, I
    believe it is more suited to a rifle that you would use in a longer range situation. Ammo is readily available though more expensive than the ones above.
    "In my opinion, the M-1 Rifle is the greatest battle implement ever devised." General George S. Patton

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Roost426 View Post
    22 - good for hunting small game, squirrel, rabbits and such.

5.56/223 - If your'e rifle is chambered for 5.56 it will also shoot 223. Good HD round and and though not the preferred round for an animal like deer it can take them down if needed.
    this is the primary chambering of the AR-15 rifles.

7.62X39 - This is the primary chambering of AK47 variants and the SKS, so it is a good manstopper and medium
    game taker at shorter ranges.

7.62X51/308 - Found in AR-10 variations, capable of taking almost any animal that you are going to find in North America at least!
    Why can't all things to do with firearms as simple as this and what Gasmitty said.
    Eric357 and jblives2ride like this.

NRA Lifetime Member

What Gassmitty said. Check you state's hunting regulations for deer hunting with a .223/5.56X45mm. Some allow it and some don't.

For hunting varmints through deer, I prefer a bolt-action in .243 Winchester. For an all-around big game hunting rifle that will take anything in North America, I prefer a .30-06 bolt-action. For home defense, an AR-15 in 5.56X45/.223 is good. An AK-47 style rifle in 7.62X39 is also good with about the same ballistics as a .30-30 Winchester lever-action rifle.
    LuvMyPX4, scottync and CWOUSCG like this.
    I carry a gun, because a Cop is too heavy.

Second Amendment: The difference between politicians and rulers.

U.S. Army, Retired
    NRA Benefactor Life Member

Quote Originally Posted by LuvMyPX4 View Post
    That's ok, I didn't mean to offend you or anyone else with commonly used terms. I meant it only as someone else might say etc.
    I think often we jokingly use the "zombie" phrase because its become so popular. When someone using use the zombie phrase I figure they are just talking about a possibly collapse of society type scenario. I often read these threads myself to learn all I can.

I also am a newbie when it comes to semi-auto rifles. I feel I need a semi but am so drawn to traditional rifles myself. Even when I start researching and pricing I end up finding myself looking at something like the Rem 550 and defeat my purpose.
    LuvMyPX4, rubberfrog and darbo like this.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by gasmitty View Post
    You ask a good question, but there are as many different answers as there are people willing to answer. Here's some "tip of the iceberg" info:

.223 is the "sporting" version of the 5.56x45 military cartridge. There are some slight chamber differences between the two, but if you're Hadji or a groundhog you won't notice the difference.

.308 and 7.62x51 are also very similar; the .308 is the "sporting" round and the 7.62x51 is the military round. I'll skip the history lesson about which cartridges came first and the detail differences a shooter needs to pay attention to.

The AR-15 is chambered fundamentally in the .223/5.56 cartridge, and in variations which are short enough to fit both the magazine and the bolt travel. These include the 6.5 Grendel, the 6.8 SPC and the .300 Blackout. There are others, but these are the most common.

For the longer .308/7.62x51, the AR-10 is the host platform. The receiver is larger to accommodate the longer cartridge and its magazine. These are generally more expensive then the AR-15s, because the .308/7.62 is loaded to a higher pressure than the .223/5.56 and variants and thus requires greater structural strength.

With that basic stuff out of the way, the next thing is your intended use of the gun. (For brevity, from here on I'll skip the metric designations.) The .308 is a more powerful cartridge then the .223, but the .223 is successfully used on everything from prairie dogs to hogs and deer - with ammunition suited to each purpose. .223 ammo is almost always cheaper than .308. If shooting military matches is your thing and you like the AR platform, then you're shooting .223 (you can shoot .308, but it will be in an M1A or a converted Garand).

With regard to downrange effectiveness, the .223 will have a lot flatter trajectory then the .308, but its lighter bullet (55 gr range) won't have the retained energy of the heavier .308 (150 gr range) bullet. Both can be loaded for accurate paper-punching hundreds of yards beyond the range at which a responsible hunter can take game. In plinking use, the .308 can make stuff jump a LOT more than the .223 can!

For defensive purposes, there is ammo available in .223 specifically for defensive use which will minimize over-penetration. I'm not aware of any .308 ammo which can make the same claim.

There are any number of forums dedicated to the AR guns, but be wary of armchair commandos with hyper-strong opinions. Probably the biggest is ar15.com, a/k/a "arfcom." Go forth and absorb knowledge!
    Quote Originally Posted by Roost426 View Post
    You can get an AR-15 style rifle in all those calibers. 308 variation's are known as the AR-10.

22 - good for hunting small game, squirrel, rabbits and such. Wouldn't use for HD or ZOMBIES unless you had no other option. Ammo usually cheap and easy to find, but more difficult the past year or two.

5.56/223 - If your'e rifle is chambered for 5.56 it will also shoot 223. If your'e rifle is chambered for 223 DO NOT shoot 5.56 from it. Good HD round and and though not the preferred round for an animal like deer it can take them down if needed.
    Plenty of ammo available and very common as this is the primary chambering of the AR-15 rifles.

7.62X39 - This is the primary chambering of AK47 variants and the SKS, but can also be had in the AR15 platform, with parts and mags being more difficult to get ahold of. Ballistics similar to the 30-30 winchester so it is a good manstopper and medium
    game taker at shorter ranges. Ammo very easy to find and relatively cheap.

7.62X51/308 - Found in AR-10 variations, capable of taking almost any animal that you are going to find in North America at least! Probably to much for HD unless you live way out there because this round will go through ALOT without stopping, I
    believe it is more suited to a rifle that you would use in a longer range situation. Ammo is readily available though more expensive than the ones above.

Just two more examples of why this place is so valuable.

Thank you, gentlemen.....
    Eric357, LuvMyPX4, DZUS and 3 others like this.

VIP Member
    Op the first thing you need to know is that there are no magic bullets and there is no true do it all gun. There is a reason they make big magnums and small 22s. It's because any one gun that does it all has too many compromises.

Now with that said (and with the info you already received in posts 5 and 8 that I don't need to repeat) the best choice for you is.......what ever you think best.

OK I'm kidding. : )

We need to know more about your PRIMARY intended use for the gun. A gun can do more than one role for you but it's usually best to focus on what your #1 role is going to be.

Example: I can use my deer rifle as a sniper rifle if I need too. It is accurate enough to do the job. BUT I wouldn't want to haul a 12lb sniper rifle around with me in the woods because it would make me less efficient and make my arms want to cry.

If your primary goal is hunting we will probably go one way. If your primary goal is HD/SHTF then we will go another.

So OP, list in order your #1 and #2 uses for this gun.
    Eric357 and LuvMyPX4 like this.
    Do not go gentle into that good night.
    Rage, rage against the dying of the light.

A 223 ar can fire or made to fire :
    1..5.45x45 (ak74)
    2. Most handgun rounds from 9mm to 7.62x25
    3.22lr
    4.7.62x39
    5.300 blackout
    6. 6.5 and 6.8
    7. 25-06 sharps
    And a lot more ..some case just change the baarel or upper other cases mag blocks and more are needed

5.56 ar will be the easiest to find ammo eyc for in terms of cost

Of course my shtf gun is a norinco ak but I digress

Oh and note many states will not let you hunt with 556
    Eric357 likes this.
    “Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.” H.L. Mencken
    "Vous ne les laisserez pas passer, mes camarades"
    "We're surrounded. That simplifies our problem of getting to these people and killing them."Chesty Puller

Oh and colt does make a 308 ar that can be made to fire 223 by changing the lower but not cheep and last I looked some function issues .

This is the time of ar and ak though you can get a new ar for 400-500 bucks or less now ditto a entry ak
    LuvMyPX4 and Eric357 like this.
    “Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.” H.L. Mencken
    "Vous ne les laisserez pas passer, mes camarades"
    "We're surrounded. That simplifies our problem of getting to these people and killing them."Chesty Puller

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links