Shotgun for Home Defense??

This is a discussion on Shotgun for Home Defense?? within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Hi All, I am considering a shotgun for self defense, but I really know very little about them. I was considering a Moosberg Persuader 500 ...

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Shotgun for Home Defense??

Shotgun for Home Defense??

Hi All, I am considering a shotgun for self defense, but I really know very little about them.
    I was considering a Moosberg Persuader 500 basically because of the cost of the gun. I have also looked at the Remington 870 but they were more expensive so I have not looked at them real hard.
    I was at Sportsman's Warehouse last night and was looking at their guns. They have a Remington 870 Express HD for $280 which is only $10 more than the Moosberg so I am also looking at that gun.
    Moosberg: http://www.mossberg.com/products/def...ction=products
    Remington 870 Express HD
    http://www.remington.com/products/fi...inch_specs.asp

Would you mind please sharing your thoughts and comments about these guns? I would really appreciate it.

Thanks, Ron
    Shine on...
    S&W M&P 9c
    S&W 9 Shield
    Taurus Raging Bull .454 Casull
    S&W M&P15 Sport;
    Mossberg 590A1

2. Remove Ads

Administrator
    Spend the extra 10 bucks and get the Remington. If for no other reason, resale value and aftermarket support. It is built a little better than the Mossberg. Both would serve your purpose well.

The HD is not as well made as the other 870's, but for its intended purpose, its just fine. I am known as a bit of a gun snob, and thats the 870 thats under my pillow.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Senior Moderator
    Well, this is a little bit off subject, but worth mentioning. I take it you mean for home defense since you can't carry it.

Shotguns will do the job, they can deal with overpenetration problems, but they do create a horrendous muzzle blast. In a 'pumped' state, you may not feel the pain, but you will still be seriously hearing impaired for a while.

You may not be able to hear an intruder moving and may not be able to hear a family member talking.

I like the Mossberg. I have the 500 Persuader 8 shot, and have been very pleased with it. I like the position of the safety on it better than the 870 (up on the tang, which means lefty's can use it easily too.) And the slide release is in an easy to reach location. Some people don't like mossberg's because of the plastic trigger group.

The Mossberg has a larger capacity (7+1), but is also a couple of inches longer than the 870 because of that. My Mossberg has never had any problems, and I would buy another.

Basically you just opened up the HD shotgun Can O' Worms, handle both, if possible shoot both. It basically comes down to personal preference over small things like safety position, but you can't really go wrong with either
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    Spend the extra 10 bucks and get the Remington. If for no other reason, resale value and aftermarket support. It is built a little better than the Mossberg. Both would serve your purpose well.

The HD is not as well made as the other 870's, but for its intended purpose, its just fine. I am known as a bit of a gun snob, and thats the 870 thats under my pillow.
    Dummy me, I figured that "HD" stood for Heavy Duty. How is the gun not made as well? Just wondering.

buckeye07, I also like the location of the slide release better on the Moosberg, BUT, I like the safety location better on the Remington.

Tangle, you bring up a good point on the sound and hearing issue. I have a Glock G27 that serves home defense duty right now. Hopefully, I would never need to use either one, but how much difference in sound would there be between the two? I have shot a shotgun before, but probably about 25 yrs ago.

Thanks, Ron
    Shine on...
    S&W M&P 9c
    S&W 9 Shield
    S&W M&P15 Sport;
    Mossberg 590A1

I would suggest a Mossberg 590. They're extremely well built and reliable. You don't have to worry about plastic parts so you know that it'll be ready to go when you need it.

Distinguished Member Array p8riot's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ront View Post
    Dummy me, I figured that "HD" stood for Heavy Duty. How is the gun not made as well? Just wondering.

buckeye07, I also like the location of the slide release better on the Moosberg, BUT, I like the safety location better on the Remington.

Tangle, you bring up a good point on the sound and hearing issue. I have a Glock G27 that serves home defense duty right now. Hopefully, I would never need to use either one, but how much difference in sound would there be between the two? I have shot a shotgun before, but probably about 25 yrs ago.

Thanks, Ron
    The "HD" is for Home Defense. The main difference between it and an 870 police model or Wingmaster is that the HD is an Express model, meaning that the fire gontrol group is held in a plastic housing/trigger guard, the wood is a cheaper grade, and the magazine tube is crimped to keep you from removing the plug (Not an issue on the HD model due to it's mag extension). Other than those items it is still an 870, and should still serve you well.
    "You can get more with a kind word and a gun than you can with a kind word alone." - Al Capone

The second amendment is the reset button of our Constitution.

Duh, I should have been able to figure out what HD stood for . There is no wood on this model, it is black synthetic.

Thanks for the info, Ron
    Shine on...
    S&W M&P 9c
    S&W 9 Shield
    S&W M&P15 Sport;
    Mossberg 590A1

Quote Originally Posted by dropped_71chevy View Post
    I would suggest a Mossberg 590. They're extremely well built and reliable. You don't have to worry about plastic parts so you know that it'll be ready to go when you need it.

I have a Mossberg, different model, but use it more for hunting than HD. If that is only what you want it for, then the 590 or Remmington (toss a coin?!?!) will serve you well for many years, just keep it clean and dry. Still highly recommend you take it out and shoot it several times a year not only for fun but more to remember how to handle it an be ready in case you need it for HD.

I love my Mossbergs. I have a 590 for the home and an 835 for hunting. My Mossbergs are built like tanks and have taken abuse like Iraqi tanks. 870's are fine shotguns also.

Senior Moderator
    Anyone of the one mentioned will do a great job for home defense. I would handle all three and decide on which I liked best. I have a Mossberg 500 and a Norinco 97 (knock off of 870). I like both, the Norinco with Ghost Ring sights was only $200 when i bought in 3 years ago
    “You can sway a thousand men by appealing to their prejudices quicker than you can convince one man by logic.”

― Robert A. Heinlein,

I'm saving up money for my home defense shotgun.

It was going to be a Mossy, or a Benelli Super Nova, but now its a Saiga 12! Who needs a pump action when you've got a tried-and-true AK gas-operated action?

Nic, who is probably going to change his mind AGAIN tomorrow

I use a Mossberg 500 5+1 with a 18.5" barrel for my HD shotgun needs. I like the safety location and it is 100% reliable.

The one your looking at would be perfect for your needs.
    MNBurl

"If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking" - George S. Patton.

Distinguished Member Array lowflyer's Avatar
    Benelli for me.
    Whatever doesn't kill you postpones the inevitable.

I have a 870 Express Magnum 18". 18 1/2" if you measure the barrel.

I looked at the Mos 500, and it felt like a less expensive gun. The finish on my 870 is lack luster, but other than that I like the gun. And for just over $300 out the door, not counting the $30 rebate it was a no brainer for me.
    Aaron

If you don't protect your self, who will?

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Links