Suppressed Shotgun? Oh yeah....

This is a discussion on Suppressed Shotgun? Oh yeah.... within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; We all know that suppressors have come a long way in the last several years due to the popularity of them. Even the mafia run ...

Like Tree18Likes
  • 12 Post By HotGuns
  • 2 Post By HotGuns
  • 1 Post By OD*
  • 2 Post By HotGuns
  • 1 Post By HotGuns

Thread: Suppressed Shotgun? Oh yeah....

Lead Moderator

We all know that suppressors have come a long way in the last several years due to the popularity of them. Even the mafia run state of Illinois is considering allowing the use of such.

SilencerCo stunned the world when they announced a shotgun suppressor called the "Salvo". It actually tames the noise down quite a bit and they seem to be popular, but they aren't the only player of shotgun cans.

Here is one that I got a few days ago that we have been playing with. Its actually quieter than the Salvo and I like the way it looks better than the rectangular shape of the Salvo. Its really not as heavy as it looks and its been lots of fun to play with. This one has the added feature of having a shotgun bead on it, that actually rotates to the top dead center where it needs to be when you screw the can on. This one is also rated for 20 gauge, which means it can be used on both the 12'a and the 20's. Its made by X-Caliber Firearms here in Arkansas. X-Caliber is no stranger to the NFA world as it was created by John Titsworth of Silencer tests fame. John has tested most of the commercial designs of suppressors for the industry and decided to he could do better. It appears that he has achieved that goal, his cans are some of the quietest out there.

It comes with 3 chokes of your choice. It has the standard full,modified and improved cylinder and comes for most of the popular choke threads that are out there. Retail price is 800 which makes it considerably cheaper than the Salvo.

Its a big can and its long but it is not as heavy as it looks. Here it is mounted on a KSG shotgun. We shot some of the short Aguila buckshot through it and no one inside knew that we were shooting. With standard skeet loads there was no sonic crack that was evident, some of the smoking steel shot duck loads that are zinging along around 1500 FPS had a noticeable crack to them. Even so, it would be a welcome addition if one were sitting in a boat with two hunters shooting shotguns.While not as quiet as a rifle or pistol suppressor, this one still makes shooting a 12 gauge what is known as "hearing safe", meaning that no ear protection is required.

This thing is fun to shoot. On a standard length barrel its a bit long looking and to me it looks downright ridiculous. Even so, the extra weight on the end isn't really enough to be a hindrance, and its worth having on there.

For the tactical crowd with the shorter barreled shotguns, it looks pretty tough. This picture has generated lots of interest for the guys that like cool looking guns.

I realize that its not for everyone, but it is a new development in the world of guns,so I thought I'd do a little write up on it just to get it out there.

What do you think? Yes? No? Cool looking? Ugly as dirt?

KSG suppressed C .jpg

Aceoky, rocky, SteveMac and 9 others like this.
    Universal Background Checks...the next step towards registration and confiscation.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

I like it - I do wonder how the shot doesn't "hang up in the baffles" though?
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    In Gibson v. Commonwealth, 237 Ky. 33, 34 S.W.2d 936 (1936), the High Court stated:  “[I]t is the tradition that a Kentuckian never runs.   He does not have to.”

Lead Moderator
    Hard to explain.

It has "rails" in it. The shot column is guided by those rails. Behind those rails are the baffles.
    It works.
    ccw9mm and Aceoky like this.
    Universal Background Checks...the next step towards registration and confiscation.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL

Thanks and that is easy enough for me to grasp (I think LOL)

I really like that and the looks compared to the "other one" I'd seen
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    In Gibson v. Commonwealth, 237 Ky. 33, 34 S.W.2d 936 (1936), the High Court stated:  “[I]t is the tradition that a Kentuckian never runs.   He does not have to.”

OD*
    Senior Moderator
    I really like it.
    Aceoky likes this.
    "The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Terrorists: They hated you yesterday, they hate you today, and they will hate you tomorrow.
    End the cycle of hatred, don’t give them a tomorrow."

Lead Moderator
    For some reason, I just never warmed up to the shape of the Salvo.

I know its a personal thing, it seems to be either a love or hate sort of thing.
    I've had lots of comments about this one being round. I know a guy with a Salvo that is considering buying this one.
    Aceoky and OD* like this.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL

I think that is bad-a** looking. I've been considering getting a KSG, and this just makes me want one even more. But given that the silencer costs as much as the gun means that I'll just have to dream awhile longer.

Do they have a web site? Or did I miss it? THX

Oooops, went back and found it. Sorry about that. Senior moment!!!

NRA LIFE MEMBER
    USAF RETIRED

You know those new fangled shotguns when I first saw them I thought was a joke. I'm really starting to warm up to them. I don't know much about that gun but it looks pretty darn cool.

My personal taste says that a suppressor has never made a gun look better. That being said, the functionality makes it a winner. I would use one.
    BigJon

"Better to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool than to open it and remove all doubt" ~ Mark Twain

Pass on the ksg, its a novelty only, my mag tube sticks out about 6 inches so this could be a cool add on
    Guns don't kill people, Guns save Lives.

If you want peace, prepare for war

With that on the end, it kinda looks like an old Lewis gun.

As long as the can is, it seems impractical for inside the home defense on anything but a bullpup shotgun. And I'm personally not too crazy with bullpups.

For outdoor use on a hunting shotgun...maybe.

I'm still thinking the best application for a suppressor is a pistol, as it can still be maneuvered indoors. Some of the more compact carbines are good too. Longer than that and it starts to get unwieldy.

And for the money, I can buy a whole bunch of really good electronic ear muffs.
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.

www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Aceoky View Post
    I like it - I do wonder how the shot doesn't "hang up in the baffles" though?

It was explained to me that the can acts as an extension of the barrel and the wad keeps the shot together until it clears the can. Could be totally wrong, YMMV, IANAL, OICU812......

Lead Moderator
    Several people came over and shot it today but it was on an 1187 shotgun.

Everyone of them smiled.
    OD* likes this.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links