Great Day - New Gun - new pics added

This is a discussion on Great Day - New Gun - new pics added within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I have a 336 too...Enjoy! ret...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Great Day - New Gun - new pics added

Nice Gift...Nice Friend...

I have a 336 too...Enjoy!

ret
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

2. Remove Ads

Very nice gift. An odd coincidence. The only reason I'm not fondling a Marlin 336 right now is I had to work late today. It'll be my first rifle (after a long decision process).

Congrats and shoot well!
    "To my mind it is wholly irresponsible to go into the world incapable of preventing violence, injury, crime, and death. How feeble is the mindset to accept defenselessness. How unnatural. How cheap. How cowardly. How pathetic." Ted Nugent

SIC VIS PACEM PARA BELLUM.

VIP Member
    I hope to get to shoot it this week. Picked up some ammo at WallyWorld last night. I am going to order some Hornady LeveRevolution soon. I saw a story about it on the Outdoor Channel a week or so ago. I also read several reviews on various sites and user statements on the Hornady site. From what these people are saying, experts and ordinary users, alike the LeveRevolution round changes the 30-30 from a 200 yard rifle to a 300 yard rifle. That sounds good to me. My next purchase will have to be rails and scope for the Beretta CX4 and the Marlin 336. New toys - don't you just love it?
    George

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe. Albert Einstein

Distinguished Member Array dimmak's Avatar
    Just a tech question....

How to remove drool from my wireless keyboard?

Dang you, now I have to get out my levers...... ;o)~

VERY NICE......
    "Ray Nagin is a colossal disappointment" - NRA/ILA Executive Director Chris W. Cox.

"...be water, my friend."

Hope you have a good shoot. The new LeveRevolution ammo is very interesting. I look forward to a range report (with pictures hopefully!).
    "To my mind it is wholly irresponsible to go into the world incapable of preventing violence, injury, crime, and death. How feeble is the mindset to accept defenselessness. How unnatural. How cheap. How cowardly. How pathetic." Ted Nugent

Those kind of good days we all dream about. Enjoy, a 30-30 is a very nice shooting caliber. I have used one since I was 16.

VIP Member
    Dr......Sweet!
    USAF: Loving Our Obscene Amenities Since 1947

VIP Member
    I can't claim to have a range report like Exodus for several reasons. One is that it is over 50 miles to the nearest public range, we have no real range locally. I usually shoot in the country where a friend who owns a large amount of land has set up a table and posts at 50 and 100 yards. He set these up to use for zeroing rifles belonging to himself and family members. That gives us a place to shoot usually. However during deer season we cannot shoot there. What is normally and unoccupied area beyond the woods at the end of the shooting are becomes very occupied during deer season so shooting there is out. I do have use of the police range, but it is a pistol range with the longest distance available being 35 yards. Today I could have gone to the country since deer season ended on Feb. 1. Unfortunately, the weather was not cooperating and it was pretty cold. I was also expecting someone to come by the house about 4 PM so I had only a short time. As a result I took the Marlin to the police range and fired about 35 rounds through it.

Unlike Exodus my shoulder is not bothering me and I don't plan to get a recoil pad. My hand bothers me some. I am just not used to operating the lever yet. I also managed to pinch myself loading the magazine. Other than that I love the rifle. It shoots well. Since I only had 35 yards to deal with I shot some rounds at a standard silhouette target just to get the feel. The other rounds I fired at half gallon orange juice cartons filled with water. When I first started shooting at the juice cartons I thought I had missed, but when I looked I discovered holes through the carton. Evidently the 30-30 round at 35 yards does not do to juice cartons what a 9mm does to them at 25 feet. The 9mm always turns them over. The 30-30 were going through. My wife watched for spray after we discovered the holes. I really enjoyed shooting the 336.

Later this week some changes will be made to it. I wanted the 336 for a truck gun and so I have a behind the seat rack for it on order. I also have a scope and some Hornady LeveRevolution on order. It is possible that it will be delivered tomorrow. Then if the weather participates I can bore sight the 336, the Saiga .308, and the Norinco SKS that I have over the past 2 months. Maybe by this time next week I will have shot all of them using the scopes. I am at work at the moment and cannot take photos of the 336, but I will get better ones posted this week.
    George

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe. Albert Einstein

That's rough George (about not having a place to shoot). I am lucky in that I am a member of a shooting club. Our range is about 20 miles from home (one town over) but well worth the drive. We've got a 100 and 200 yard rifle range, two pistol ranges, plus a practical pistol range.

Hope you get a chance to take your 336 out soon and do it justice with some long range shooting! I'm glad you got the chance to at least shoot it (short range or not). Good luck with all the scope sighting.

What type of scope did you decide to go with on the 336? I just have a Bushnell 3x9 on mine and its good for pretty much everything I could ask out of the .30-30 round.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by buckeye07 View Post
    What type of scope did you decide to go with on the 336? I just have a Bushnell 3x9 on mine and its good for pretty much everything I could ask out of the .30-30 round.
    I ordered a BSA 3-9X40mm. I am not a hunter and could not justify spending big bucks on a scope to punch holes in paper. If I decide it's not what I need, I have friends who will take it off my hands. Except for the Army it is only within the past few months that I started shooting rifles, so I am listening to people who know what they are doing and I am experimenting for myself. Between the two I should come out with some good info and learn some things as well. I just met a LEO from another community who lives a couple of blocks from me and is into rifle shooting. I will be picking his brain as I try to learn some more about them.
    George

My Bushnell is no high dollar scope (it and a spotting scope came in a $100 combo pack that was a great deal though), and is a 3-9x40mm too. For a .30-30, its great. Can't use rifle to hunt in Ohio, so mine is pretty much just for punchin paper too.

Just one thing to remember while making adjustments to your scope on the range when you get it out. Make sure you work the action like you would from an offhand positions, quickly and with some force. If you short-stroke it or do it slow, sometimes it won't eject the empties (I learned this after relating a problem on this forum and concluding that is why the shells were FTE).

Edit: I just had a couple of more thoughts about mounting a scope on the rifle while I was looking at a picture of mine (alas, it is 100 miles away in a gunsafe, and pictures are all I have until I make it down to Cincy.) The rear sight on the rifle comes awfully close to the front of the scope with the standard Marlin rail. I have my scope mounted kind of far back, but from offhand or seated I can still get enough eye relief for both a clear and full field of vision through the scope, and not worry about getting a case of "scope eye". The other thing is the scope came with a nice set of plastic covers that were connected by like bungee cord, however, the front one couldn't be removed or put on with the rear sight, so I went and bought one of the Butler Creek all rubber scope covers, and that works, although I would rather have the plastic covers. Just some ramblings as I take a break from a paper. And here is an obligatory picture:
    Attached Images
    Last edited by buckeye .45; February 19th, 2007 at 01:22 AM.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

VIP Member
    I wanted to add a couple of pictures that were better than the ones I posted in the first message. I went into our guest room to try to use the guest bed as a stage for the photos. I did that, but first I just could not resist taking a picture of one of my wife's stuffed toy bears holding the Marlin. I gave her this one four or five years ago and it is a rather large one. It usually sits right where it is in the picture (without the rifle) in the middle of the guest bed. In case anyone wonders I full support our right to arm bears.

The others are just better photos than the original ones.

George

Nice pictures. It looks like you've got the "W" model. I've asked around locally and could never really get a solid answer. Why the gold plated trigger? Is it purely cosmetic, or is there function I'm not aware of?

Administrator
    Sometimes you get the bear
    & sometimes the bear gets you.

Real Nice Heirloom Rifle!
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links