Great Day - New Gun - new pics added

This is a discussion on Great Day - New Gun - new pics added within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Today has been a great day! To understand that you need a little background. I work in a college library and have a very unusual ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Great Day - New Gun - new pics added

VIP Member

Great Day - New Gun - new pics added

Today has been a great day! To understand that you need a little background. I work in a college library and have a very unusual schedule - on Monday I work 8am to noon. Today just before noon I got a call from the local veterinarian who is a friend and a trustee of the college. Since I have been in town I have been his computer guru. Back over Christmas break I set up his new system and rigged his software so it would work until he could find a new package. I had about 35 hours or so in the job. He takes care of my three dogs and rarely sends a bill so I take care of his computer. It works for us.

So I get a call just before noon. The vet asks if I am going to be in for a while. I told him just a short while because I get off at noon. He said, "That gives me 10 minutes, I'll try to make it in 5." I didn't think much about that. I figured he wanted me to look at some info about a new software package. So in about 6 minutes he comes in the door of the library with a long box. He walks up to my desk and puts this box on it.

I looked down at the box and asked, "What's this?" His reply was, "What does it look like?" So I answered, "A Marlin model 336 in 30-30." He said, "That's right." I still didn't know what was going on. He is an FFL, but except for me he has not done transfers locally. He does them for all the clubs that give a way guns as prizes - Ducks Unlimited, National Wild Turkey Federation, Friends of the NRA, and others. So I thought maybe he had to be out and needed someone to handle the transfer since I have an FFL. So I asked, "What's it for?" And his answer was, "It's for you." All I could say was, "What?" He said, "I ought to give you three for all the work you've done and all the help you've given me on the computers." All I could do was stand there with my mouth open. My wife came in to go to lunch right then and the vet said, "I need to go now. Have a good lunch." I mumbled, "Thanks." I stopped by later in the afternoon and thanked him again.

Here is what was in the box.

I guess I can say and mean it, "It's been a good day." I'll make some better pictures and post them with the range report later.
    Last edited by dr_cmg; February 14th, 2007 at 11:01 PM.
    George

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe. Albert Einstein

2. Remove Ads

You mean down in Alabama nobody bats an eye at a long gun box in a college library? Man, I shoulda gone to school down there. The police response if that happened here would be insane.

It's good to have good friends. I like the Marlin in .30-30, great rifle to have around. Enjoy it.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by buckeye07 View Post
    You mean down in Alabama nobody bats an eye at a long gun box in a college library? Man, I shoulda gone to school down there. The police response if that happened here would be insane.
    If that's not bad enough, it's a Baptist woman's college. It's a small town and we didn't open the box in my office. I opened it at home. But no, no one said a word. I'm taking the young women in my church history class shooting when the weather warms up. Some have shot before and some haven't. All 9 are ready to go. We'll start the ones who haven't shot before with the S&W 22A in .22LR. Others will start at other levels of firepower. Living in the South is great.
    George

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe. Albert Einstein

In deed a very nice day. Thats a very nice rifle George.
    Best,
    Rhome
    Politicians are like diapers, they should be changed often and for the same reason. ~ Robin Williams ~
    www.desbiensgunleather.com

I have a 336 from 1953 that is is sweet today as it was the day it rolled out of the shop. Great gift.

Senior Moderator
    It is nice to live in the south.

Sounds like you live in a good place. Do you need a microbiologists there, or an Anatomy and Physiology teacher.
    “You can sway a thousand men by appealing to their prejudices quicker than you can convince one man by logic.”

― Robert A. Heinlein,

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by pgrass101 View Post
    It is nice to live in the south.

Sounds like you live in a good place. Do you need a microbiologists there, or an Anatomy and Physiology teacher.
    Our science division is pretty full right now. The college only has around 300 students. We have 3 full-time science professors all with PhDs. One for chemistry who has been here since 1967, one for biology who came in the 70s, and one for microbiology who came about 7 years ago. The chemistry professor will probably retire sometime within the next 20 years. That's not a joke, he is fit as a fiddle and lives to teach. His wife retired from the college about 8 years ago, but he hasn't even slowed down.

To give you an idea of what our science division is like think about this. In the last 35 years NO student who went through our pre-med or pre-vet program and met the other requirements for the school has failed to be accepted into the med school or vet school of their choice. In the last 35 years NONE of those students accepted into the med school or vet school of their choice has failed to graduate. Not bad for a small Baptist woman's college in the Blackbelt of Alabama!
    George

Senior Moderator
    Thanks George I was half way joking It would take a lot for me to leave my nice cushy state job. My wife is trying to get a better position at Auburn Montgomery.

Now she is driving to Auburn and I'm driving to Montgomery. It would be much better if we could both drive to Montgomery, especaily since the State labs are on the AUM campus.

I am always looking for something better, were we can live on a small farm and still support ourselves. We have been looking for property south of Montgomery, maybe we'll find something we can afford

Sounds like you have a good science department. I am always amazed at how many people do not have a grasp of what science really means. Maybe there should be more small women's colleges
    “You can sway a thousand men by appealing to their prejudices quicker than you can convince one man by logic.”

― Robert A. Heinlein,

VIP Member
    Very nice rifle, George! A fitting reward for helping a friend...
    "I surrounded 'em"- Alvin York

"They're ain't many troubles that a man can't fix with seven hundred dollars and a thirty ought six"- Jeff Cooper

You...lucky guy!
    FREEDOM MATTERS!

Lead Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by dr_cmg View Post
    If that's not bad enough, it's a Baptist woman's college. It's a small town and we didn't open the box in my office.
    Maybe they thought the "long box" was flowers for this Wednesday!

Anyhow, nice gift George, use it in good heath!
    Rick

EOD - Initial success or total failure

My Dad gave me my Marlin 30/30 when I was 14, I love it still. Sounds like a great school, too bad they don't have a law school there, I'd apply. I am applying to the one in Montgomery though.
    When you've got 'em by the balls, their hearts & minds will follow. Semper Fi.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by sgtD View Post
    My Dad gave me my Marlin 30/30 when I was 14, I love it still. Sounds like a great school, too bad they don't have a law school there, I'd apply. I am applying to the one in Montgomery though.
    Jones is an excellent law school with a reputation for it's graduates passing the bar on the first try. It doesn't have the big name, but a big name and $1.25 will get you a cup of coffee. I would rather have a degree and a passed bar on the first try than have a big name degree and still be trying to pass the bar on my second or third try. Hope it works out for you.
    George

Assistant Administrator
    George - that is excellent!!

What a fine vet' you have and what a fine gift. That is one beaut' carbine/rifle and I must say ''thuddy-thuddy'' is one cal I have wanted in lever.

So - if you tire of it .................... hmmm ........... I doubt it

Well deserved I am sure and you will LOVE it
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Thats pretty cool

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links