Ruger Mini 14 bullpup stock

This is a discussion on Ruger Mini 14 bullpup stock within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Has anyone used one of these, I like the idea of being able to shorten the OAL of the rifle for HD, but am wondering ...

Thread: Ruger Mini 14 bullpup stock

Distinguished Member Array 4my sons's Avatar

Ruger Mini 14 bullpup stock

Has anyone used one of these, I like the idea of being able to shorten the OAL of the rifle for HD, but am wondering about the quality, having the action located just opposite the stock from my ear, and the locations of the safety, and the linkage between the trigger in the stock, and on the gun.

Chech it out here

Thanks in advance.
    "fundamental principle of American law that a government and its agents are under no general duty to provide public services, such as police protection, to any individual citizen." [Warren v. District of Columbia,(D.C. Ct. of Ap., 1981)]
    If I have to explain it, you wouldn't understand

2. Remove Ads

They make the Mini VERY portable. However, that is where the benefits end, IMO. The quality of the one I have shot was seriously lacking, to say the least. Sights were very poor (and that's being nice), trigger pull was horrible, the op-rod bound up on the inside of the stock which caused a few malfunctions (for that reason, I would absolutely not have one for HD), and yes, the safety is in a lousy spot and is hard to get to function when you do get to it, because of the poor construction.

Unless you're worried about a kaboom, no worries on the action/ear relationship. The end of the barrel being alot closer to your ear will be what makes it a bit louder to shoot, but its not bad.

My .02

I hate bullpup stocks, but then again I'm left handed.

Odds are that your not, but its something to consider if you have to fire weakhanded.

VIP Member
    ....they looked cool in "Total Recall." That's pretty much the only positive thing I can say about a Bullpup'd Mini 14.
    USAF: Loving Our Obscene Amenities Since 1947

Now that someone has brought up the Mini 14...Has anyone ever owned one that could be descibed as being even somewhat accurate ??

I really like their size and design but the one I had ( brand new, synthetic stock and returned to Ruger for inspection) WAS ABSOLUTELY AWFUL in the accuracy department. 10" groups at 25 yards. My handguns are better. The only thing that Ruger accomplished (when I sent it to them)was to stop it from tumbling the bullets.

Mike, I have one that is accurate enough at 100 yards. Its not gonna shoot one inch groups, but I hit what I am aiming at at that range. (Stainless Ranch Rifle model), It is often nearby when I am doing farm work. Is it as accurate as a match AR, or a M1A, no, but that isn't what it was made for. Ruger did just come out with a new more accurized model. The OP just asked about a stock option, there is no need to bad mouth an entire line of weapons over it.

4my son, to shorten length you would probably be better off with a decent folding stock than the bullpup set up, and you can probably find one for about half as much. However the rifle tends to be pretty short as it is. I like the looks of the rifle with a traditional or folding stock a whole lot better to, but I just like the way this rifle looks.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

Looks cool...but serves no real purpose...tough getting an IWB too!

Not on my 'to buy' list...

ret
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Mini14s are not usually accurate out of the box, but those among us who like to tweak our guns have learned to love them and feed them and make them SHOOT. Mine has had the barrel shortened(to reduce vibration) gas block leveled and torqued, action rod faced square, shock buffers, smaller gas bushings( to ease battering and so I don't have to look for my brass in the next county) and a trigger job. It shoots 1.25" 5 shot groups @ 100 m. Look at Perfect Union BBS for the best Mini14 Forum.

The one I shot that had the bullpup stock on it, when put back in the Choate stock and scoped - I could make a .5 liter water bottle move almost every time I shot at it at 100. Some were hits, some were only close, but pretty accurate 'for a Mini'.

Mine shot nickels (you know the coins) at 25yds and could sometimes squeeze in under 1" at 100 yds for 3 shots. I never put a scope on it though it was a ranch rifle. Mine seemed to be very accurate but I bought mine brand new and was always nice to my barrel. The barrel is very thin and I think there are a lot of guys who shoot through 5 30rd mags in a row and then wonder why it won't shoot straight. It was a very fun gun but I think I'll get an AR next.
    If he was gonna decorate his bar with my friend, he shoulda armed himself.

I love my Mini. Very accurate for what it is. Here are photos. Plinker to evil!

"Man made laws to set you free on earth but is God satisfied
    Will your lawyer talk to God for you?" Kitty Wells

Links