My AK Project finally finished (almost)

This is a discussion on My AK Project finally finished (almost) within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; After a year of research,tinkering, saving and spending I got my first AK done. I named it Project Mina and the idea was to customize ...

Thread: My AK Project finally finished (almost)

VIP Member

Cool My AK Project finally finished (almost)

After a year of research,tinkering, saving and spending I got my first AK done. I named it Project Mina and the idea was to customize it as much as possible spending as little as possible.

This is what she looked like almost originally. By the time of this picture I had added a wooden pistol foregrip to which I carved finger grooves, a rail and a really crappy red dot sight.

And here is what she looks like now.

Furniture:
    Buttstock is a US made, Warsaw-Lenght plastic copy of the bulagarian AK I got from K-Var. I liked it because it came with the sling loop on the side.

SAW-type Pistol grip, Galil-Type Foregard, rails and Foregrip from Tapco.

The sling is an AK-47 CQB Sling from Specter Gear and the light mount is from Viking Tactics. The light is a plain old Nitrolon G2.

The new scope is a TruGlo Red Dot Series 25mm. The safety was modified with a knob for quicker disengage. And I added the AK-47 Tactical mag release from Red Star Arms which does make a hell of a difference when you wanna drop an AK mag in a hurry.

Internally it is as it came. My Ak never had that infamous trigger slap so I just polished the fire control group and it is working fine.

And I said it was "finished.....almost" because although I am happy with the result, I may want to add the AK 74 muzzle brake. I do want to take a break with the AK and maybe start with something else.

Oh yes, I forgot. I painted it with Brownell's Teflon/Moly Oven Cure in flat Black.
    Last edited by Miggy; February 14th, 2007 at 01:26 AM. Reason: Hit wrong darn button!
    You have to make the shot when fire is smoking, people are screaming, dogs are barking, kids are crying and sirens are coming.
    Randy Cain.

Ego will kill you. Leave it at home.
    Signed: Me!

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    Looks great!!!

Looking good, I like it
    "Planning to draw and chamber a round after TSHTF is like planning to fasten your seatbelt after you see the other guy run a stopsign..."

Professional hand engraver.
    To see full picture of knife in Avatar click here

Looks pretty good. Thanks for the input on the mag release, you talked me into it. What did you use for the safety knob and how did you attach it?

As for the '74 brake: In the interest of saving money, I decided to go ahead and try one of the $20 ones that several places out there have. It works great - recoil and jump are greatly reduced - I'd buy one again in a heartbeat. Granted, they are not 'accurate reproductions', but somehow I get the impression that you're like me and could care less as long as it works.

The resulting product of your AK-47 is quite impressive. It looks really nice.

Funny how Jeepers and firearms enthusiasts are similar. None of our projects are ever "finished". There is always something we want to or have to tinker with.

I fall into both groups.

Very nice looking AK (even if it is one of those evil black guns now ).

VIP Member
    Thanks guys... And yes, we never seem to finish. Although I was a Landcruiser Man and not a CJ-Can freak

As for the safety modification, it is a guitar mini-dome knob. They are about $10 on EBay.

I saw this modification in final form on another website and decided to take a chance. The AK safety levers are not that expensive so if I screwed up, I could just get a new one.

To measure where the knob should go, just grab your rifle and extend your finger over the lever. make a mark wherever your first joint touches the lever and set it back 1/8 towards the "hinge" end. The idea is for you to be able to "hook" the knob confortably and release the safety without having to take your hand off the grip. And no, it is not as confy as flipping an AR selector, but beats the original AK configuration by a mile.

Get a good steel screw that fits the knob, drill the appropiate hole and insert the screw.

I decided to solder the screw so I had to buy some godies from our friend at Home Depot (solder pen) and Brownells.

As you can see, I won't be getting a job as welder of delicate parts anytime soon but I secured the screw and that baby is not going anywhere soon.

Next, some serious grinding!

Then I installed the knob & painted the whole thing with Brownells Teflon/Moly Oven Cure finish.

I know, the expense is greater than buying those levers that come with a cut, but I think this one looks much better.

Muzz, about the mag release. The metal is on the weak side and I installed it originally with rivets. It would flex and the rivets would come loose so I ended up soldering the piece against the original mag release and I also soldered a bit of flat metal on the bottom. That sucker is now steady & sturdy. Don't overdo the soldering though... just enough will do..... just in case you have to remove it later.

By the way, that was my first soldering job. So if you wanna try it but are afraid of screwing up, don't, it is easy. Just don't overdo the solder and that be advised that the solder pen gets frigging hot!
    You have to make the shot when fire is smoking, people are screaming, dogs are barking, kids are crying and sirens are coming.
    Randy Cain.

VIP Member
    Thanks guys... And yes, we never seem to finish.

As for the safety modification, it is a guitar mini-dome knob. They are about $10 on EBay.

I saw this modification in final form on another website and decided to take a chance. The AK safety levers are not that expensive so if I screwed up, I could just get a new one.

To measure where the knob should go, just grab your rifle and extend your finger over the lever. make a mark wherever your first joint touches the lever and set it back 1/8 towards the "hinge" end. The idea is for you to be able to "hook" the knob confortably and release the safety without having to take your hand off the grip. And no, it is not as confy as flipping an AR selector, but beats the original AK configuration by a mile.

Get a good steel screw that fits the knob, drill the appropiate hole and insert the screw.

I decided to solder the screw so I had to buy some godies from our friend at Home Depot (solder pen) and Brownells.

As you can see, I won't be getting a job as welder of delicate parts anytime soon but I secured the screw and that baby is not going anywhere soon.

Next, some serious grinding!

Then I installed the knob & painted the whole thing with Brownells Teflon/Moly Oven Cure finish.

I know, the expense is greater than buying those levers that come with a cut, but I think this one looks much better.

Muzz, about the mag release. The metal is on the weak side and I installed it originally with rivets. It would flex and the rivets would come loose so I ended up soldering the piece against the original mag release and I also soldered a bit of flat metal on the bottom. That sucker is now steady & sturdy. Don't overdo the soldering though... just enough will do..... just in case you have to remove it later.

By the way, that was my first soldering job. So if you wanna try it but are afraid of screwing up, don't, it is easy. Just don't overdo the solder and that be advised that the solder pen gets frigging hot!

PS for Muzz: OK, you sold me., I am getting the brake!
    Randy Cain.

looks good, If I get another AK (when) I may do somthing similar.

Fantastic job! Very nice!

Who'da thunk it? Excellent idea!

The Red Star site says they have strengthened the mag release - hate to see what they were like before.

Both sound like easy enough procedures. Thanks for the info, it'll give me something to tinker with.

Links