308 Bolt-Action...,

This is a discussion on 308 Bolt-Action..., within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I went to a gunshow yesterday and after seeing ammo prices, my immediate dreams of a Colt AR were dashed. No use owning a semi-auto ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree77Likes

Thread: 308 Bolt-Action...,

308 Bolt-Action...,

I went to a gunshow yesterday and after seeing ammo prices, my immediate dreams of a Colt AR were dashed. No use owning a semi-auto when I can't keep her adequately fed, IMHO. That being said, a buddy of mine has carved out on his 11 acres here in GA, a 325-350 yard "lane" to shoot on. We're talking a steel target to go with some paper-punching. I'm thinking of a nice 308 to enjoy some "longer" range shooting. It can double as a 'stand off' defensive rifle if the barrel isn't too heavy. You guys get the idea I think. Not looking to spend a fortune(I want a quality optic too), something strong so I can shoot 7.62 rounds if I come across them, heavy barrel etc. I like the Ruger American 'Predator' ...any thoughts on that? Other recommendations welcome..

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    5lima30ret likes this.
    "We deal in lead friend">Steve McQueen The Magnificent Seven
    82d Abn(1983-86)OIF 2007-08
    Glock 19&26/ Colt Gov't & OM/Ruger SP101
    Retired NYS LEO / NRA Life Member
    Still Love Ya Sarah !
    "no kidding,gun slinging,spurs hitting the floor"

VIP Member
    Savage makes a nice rifle that won't cost you a fortune. Many models to choose from. Top it with a mid-grade Leopold and some good rings and I think you'll have a nice rifle.
    I like all kinds of foreign guns.

"Arm yourself because no one else here will save you..."

I don't always use missiles, but when I do it's the Minuteman III LGM-30G

Savage model 11 prairie dog IMO.
    Cabelas is running a sale on them right now $419.88

Savage® Arms Model 11 Prairie Dog Bolt-Action Rifles

All-weather synthetic stock
    Matte-blued heavy barrel
    Features accuracy-enhancing, adjustable AccuTrigger
    Four-round internal box magazine capacity
    Drilled and tapped for scope mounting

These Cabela's-exclusive Savage Arms Model 11 Prairie Dog Bolt-Action Rifles have an all-weather synthetic stock and 22" medium-taper, long-range, short-action matte-blued heavy barrel. Features the accuracy-enhancing, adjustable AccuTrigger™ that eliminates creep in the trigger pull. AccuRelease increases safety by requiring both triggers be engaged for firing. Four-round internal box magazine capacity. Drilled and tapped for scope mounting.
    old grunt likes this.
    How much difference is there between terrorism and tyranny?

Remington sps tactical. 20" bull barrel. I have the 223 version and it's a shooter. I shoot out to 600 yards with it and a 308 would do even better.
    old grunt and airslot like this.

There are a bazillion quality bolt action rifles on the market these days. It is the most saturated and competitive market out there. ALL of the makers bring a quality product to the market or else they are gone in just a few years.

My advice to you is pick one that fits you and also fits your budget.

A lesser known brands that is quite good is Howa. They come from the manufacturing line that made Weatherby rifles for decades and they also made Browning rifles for a spell. Now they make a very high quality rifle at a low price point.

Howa 5 + 1 308 Winchester Varminter/20" Heavy Blued Barrel/H $563.00 SHIPS FREE

My guess is that this rifle would do everything you want at a great price.
    zacii, old grunt and Jaeger like this.
    "For the Lord your God will bless you in all your harvest and in all the work of your hands." Deuteronomy 16:15

I think any rifle from a reputable manufacturer will do the job.

I have a Remington SPS Tactical with a Weaver Grand Slam Mil-dot scope, and Harris bipod.

It's a MOA shooter in its stock configuration, with Hornady 168 grain BTHP.

I went with the Remington because of the plethora of aftermarket parts. But I'm sure you can make anything work.
    old grunt likes this.
    Trust in God and keep your powder dry

"A heavily armed citizenry is not about overthrowing the government; it is about preventing the government from overthrowing liberty. A people stripped of their right of self defense is defenseless against their own government." -source

I have a few Savage bolt guns that shot 1 inch groups out of the box with factory ammo. Good priced accurate rifles. I have a model 116 in 300winmag, 111 in 30-06 and a model 110 in 308win. Optics I have learned you get what you pay for. My 116 has a VXII Leoupold, and my other two have middle of the road priced Niikons the work very well in field conditions. I also have Ruger M77 MKII compact in 308win that I ended up having to do some smithing work to it just to get it to group. Match trigger, float the barrel which didn't help, then I added some glass bedding and then with some dremmel shaving my groups are finally dime size at a 100 meters.
    old grunt likes this.

Just going to jump in quick. I have heard horror stories about Remington lately, mostly in relation to their Marlin lever guns since they acquired the company. How are their recently manufactured bolt-guns doing? Just curious.....

"We deal in lead friend">Steve McQueen The Magnificent Seven
    82d Abn(1983-86)OIF 2007-08
    Glock 19&26/ Colt Gov't & OM/Ruger SP101
    Retired NYS LEO / NRA Life Member
    Still Love Ya Sarah !
    "no kidding,gun slinging,spurs hitting the floor"

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by old grunt View Post
    Just going to jump in quick. I have heard horror stories about Remington lately, mostly in relation to their Marlin lever guns since they acquired the company. How are their recently manufactured bolt-guns doing? Just curious.....

They just issued a massive recalls on 700's last year, due to trigger issues.

If you are looking for the best deal, I would go with a Savage Axis 2. I got to shoot one in .243 recently, and was very impressed with the performance for the price. The weaver scope on it was okay, but as a <$400 package, it greatly exceeded my expectations.

For a bit more money, I would look at the Savage model 11s.
    old grunt likes this.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

I have a Rem. 770 in 30-06 topped with a 3x9 scope. Works well for me. Good luck. Be safe
    Work for a cause, Not for applause. Live life to express, Not to impress. Don't strive to make your presence noticed, Just make your absence felt"

For the money and what you get, I would say, a Savage CP 24'' heavy barrel in 308. Or Rem. SPS I think with a 26'' barrel. Both can do the 1,000 yards with much trouble. My Savage held 3 1/4'' group with a 155 grain bullet and my SON is able to shoot bowling pins at 1,000 yards with his Rem. SPS 308 with 155 grain A-max. I don't have any trouble with tuning my barrels for shooting long range. I'm just a old man playing, but my Son is young compared to me. [URL=http://s214.photobucket.com/user/Riverboat-01/media/155%20grain/12SteelPlate003_zps9309e385.jpg.html] He is now out shoot his old man and he lets me know about it.
    LimaCharlie, old grunt and todd_g like this.
    NRA PATRON LIFE
    BROWN WATER NAVY

It can double as a 'stand off' defensive rifle if the barrel isn't too heavy.
    Using a bolt action rifle against aggressors armed with semi autos will put you at a severe disadvantage.

For slapping targets they are fine.
    old grunt likes this.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

The Savage rifles with Accu-Triggers and Nikon scopes are an inexpensive entry level combination rifle/scope to see if you want to go further in longer range shooting. The Savages have good accuracy, but have a little more felt recoil than some other rifles to me.

I have a matte stainless 18" Ruger Gunsite Scout in .308 with the stock open iron sights for shooting up to 200 yards or hunting. I have a 20" Armalite AR-10 7.62X51mm with a Burris XTR 4X-12X-50mm scope for up to 500 yards. I have a 23.62" (60 cm) CZ 550 American .308 with a set trigger and a Vortex Viper PST 6X-24X-50mm First Focal Plane scope for over 500 yards.

My biggest issue is finding a place in Northwest Oregon to shoot over 300 yards. My club range goes to 200 yards and there is a Forest Service public shooting site that goes up to 300 yards near me. One private club about 45 miles away has a 1.000 yard range and another one about 40 miles away has said they are adding a 1.000 yard range, but you have to be members to shoot there. I have to travel over the mountains to Eastern Oregon to shoot longer range.
    SatCong likes this.
    I carry a gun, because a Cop is too heavy.

Second Amendment: The difference between politicians and rulers.

U.S. Army, Retired
    NRA Benefactor Life Member

Quote Originally Posted by SatCong View Post
    For the money and what you get, I would say, a Savage CP 24'' heavy barrel in 308. Or Rem. SPS I think with a 26'' barrel. Both can do the 1,000 yards with much trouble. My Savage held 3 1/4'' group with a 155 grain bullet and my SON is able to shoot bowling pins at 1,000 yards with his Rem. SPS 308 with 155 grain A-max. I don't have any trouble with tuning my barrels for shooting long range. I'm just a old man playing, but my Son is young compared to me. [URL=http://s214.photobucket.com/user/Riverboat-01/media/155%20grain/12SteelPlate003_zps9309e385.jpg.html] He is now out shoot his old man and he lets me know about it.
    I would like to add, that I don't load the bullets to the lands. The OAL is what's call for in the book.
    NRA PATRON LIFE
    BROWN WATER NAVY

Quote Originally Posted by HotGuns View Post
    Using a bolt action rifle against aggressors armed with semi autos will put you at a severe disadvantage.
    True, but watching your friend's head explode from a man 300 to 1,000 yards away will make you think.
    NRA PATRON LIFE
    BROWN WATER NAVY

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links