PolyTech Ak-47/S

This is a discussion on PolyTech Ak-47/S within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Hey Y'all, I've recently come across the opportunity to buy my first AK. I've looked up the market value price for this weapon and it ...

Thread: PolyTech Ak-47/S

PolyTech Ak-47/S

Hey Y'all, I've recently come across the opportunity to buy my first AK. I've looked up the market value price for this weapon and it seems fair I was just wondering if any one out there had any personal experience with this manufacturer and/or weapon.

Here's the Description;
    PolyTech AK-47/S 7.62x39mm caliber rifle. Rare original pre-ban National Match model with milled receiver and 20” barrel. Excellent condition with box and accessories.

Any help you could provide me with would be greatly appreciated. Thanks for your help ahead of time.

Stay safe!
    -COWBOYF550

2. Remove Ads

I've heard that the recievers on some of these guns just break down after 2000 rounds. Myth or Fact?

-COWBOYF550

Did you mean to link to an $1800 dollar rifle (no flame or sarcasm, just checking to make sure)? For what the rifle is, I don't doubt that it could be worth that much, but if you were gonna buy that it would definately be a safe queen. If you want a range rifle for shooting or a SHTF rifle, there are AK variants that can be had for much much less, and will work just as well, although maybe not as accurately.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

Myth. They are highly thought of variants. Above average. Pick it up while you can.

Copy of an article that might help:

SA M7 versus Polytech Legend AK-47/S - A Shooters Review

The SA M7 in an exceptional AK-47. It was my first AK, and after acquiring a mint condition milled Polytech Legend AK-47/S, it is still my favorite shooter. The price is substantially lower than the Polytech AK-47/S, and, on average among all parts considered, the fit and finish are about equal. The following is comparison between an early made SA M7 and a like new condition Polytech AK-47/S.

The differences in finish are worth noting. The SA M7 metal finish on the receiver and rails is superior to the Polytech. There are minimal sanding marks visible through the finish on the receiver of the SA M7. The very fine sanded exterior finish of the Polytech metal surfaces lends a slight satin finish just short of glass smooth. The finely polished bolt carrier and bolt surfaces on the polytech are much smoother than the SA M7. However, the milling marks on the interior of the receiver in the Polytch are coarser than the SA M7, patricularly the on the rails. As a result, the trigger parts are smoother on the SA M7. The trigger is glass smooth to pull, whereas there is detectable grinding in the pull of the Polytech. The trigger tension and break is comparable on both AK's.

Even though I like the traditional appearance of the barrel nut, bayonet lug, and slant gas block of the Polytech, the lighter barrel of the SA M7 combined with the muzzle brake make for a more refined and slightly more accurate AK. None of the rougher areas showing sanding marks adversely affects the performance of either rifle. The mag release lever on the Polytech is wider, and made of thicker flat sheetmetal, making is noticably more comfortable than the SA M7 to operate.

The SA M7 has a very tough powdercoat applied over a parkerized finish on the metal parts, and the Polytech is hot blued to a very nice shiney dark black finish. The Polytech finish can be restored as with damage to any hot blued finish, usally by hot reblueing. On the SA M7, Frequent shooting can cause the powder coat finish to flake off the rails and top edges of the receiver where the bolt carrier rides, but that too can be carefully restored using GunKote or similar hard coating. The Polytech does not suffer from coating flaking on wear areas. The internal parts are similarly heat treated, though the finish of the parts in the SA M7 is exceptionally smooth, whereas a sanded finish with fine marks is found on the Polytech parts. The sights on both AK's are comparable, though the blued finish of the Polytech shows light sanding marks while the SA M7 parts are smooth.

The firing pin on the SA M7 is flat with space between it and the round hole it is housed in that can allow dirt to be ejected as the rifle is repeated fired. The Polytech has a round firing pin in a round hole and is also spring loaded to prevent any chance of the firing pin striking the primer during feeding. The closer fit between the firing pin and the hole it rests in in the bolt has a slightly greater chance of the firing pin becoming stuck when the AK-47 is subjected to large amounts of fine mud and sand in the receiver, only under the very worst dirt conditions.

Those who like the traditional wood can opt to replace the poly stock set on the SA M7 with a shorter butted wooden set like that on the Polytech, but the poly front handguard prevents heat from prolonged and repeated shooting much better. The Polytech wood is a bit softer that a comparable Bulgarian or Hungarian stock set, and is covered on varnish having an occasional run, typical of Chinese mass produced AK's.

The largest difference between the two firearms is the price. A Polytech Legend goes for over $1100.00 while a SA M7 can be found for as little as $689.00. Since the Polytech legend is no longer imported, it retains its value well and its price is slowly climbing. This may dampen ones desire to shoot it often, unlike the SA M7, which is less expensive, and does not have an inflated price due to unavailability or collectability. The SA M7 will appeal to those of use who like to enjoy firing our rifles frequently instead of socking them away in a safe indefinitely.

Despite the features varying from the traditional AK-47 design, the SA M7 is in my opinion the best value AK-47 on the market today, deliverying excellent performance and finish for the price. It directly appeals to AK-47 shooters. For traditionally minded collectors, the Polytech tops the Arsenal SA M7 Classic solely on availability; you can actually still GET one. Optionally. a SA M7 Carbine refitted with a stock set, and a barrel and gas block changed out with a surplus Bulgarian parts from a parts kit, can contain most of the classic AK-47 features if you spend the extra money to obtain all the necessary parts. You can get all the classic features of a true third model production AK-47 in the Chinese Polytech Legend, but for the price, even an average quality AR-15 is a tempting substitute.

DARIVS ARCHITECTVS
    Knight's Armoury

buckeye07;
    Yeah, that's the one I meant.
    http://www.collectorsfirearms.com/ad...p?itemID=13367

I basically want it for a SHTF rifle. I already have a Remington 870 Tactical, FN Patrol Bolt (.308 Win.) and a Bushmaster AR (.223 Rem.), It was just another rifle to round out the SHTF 4-rifle case. My main concern isn't name or sticker price I just want reliability.

I've also come across a Romanian WASR-10 (NIB) for about $440. and it too looks like a good option. Like I said I'm new to AK's and I was looking for some advice on the matter.

Thanks!
    -COWBOYF550

Thats too much for a WASR. They are hit and miss too. I would recomend you only get a Romainian done by someone who will stand behind it. Atlantic Arms has some nice variants.

cphilip;
    Thanks for the article!

-COWBOYF550

Here are some sites you need to spend some time on

http://akfiles.com/forums

http://www.akforum.net

And the AK section of

http://www.ar15.com/

cphilip;
    Thanks for the links, it looks like I have some interesting reading ahead of me.

-COWBOYF550

That is half the fun. While your at it go to Sportsmans Guide and pick up a 6 or 12 pack of the 30 round Mags they have cheap there right now to get you ready.

And be sure to keep watch in those sites Equipment Exchanges and Classifieds too. Some deals come around there for some nice Rifles almost every day.

Just making sure.

440 seems high for a WASR-10, check http://www.aimsurplus.com/acatalog/Rifles.html
    they have them with a couple mags and extras for $319, I have one (that accepts hi-caps and has the "extras" and love it, fit and finish isn't the greatest, and it's not accurate as a match rifle, but no matter how much I abuse I throw at the thing it won't stop eating through ammo.

I have also heard some good reviews of the Yugo M-70's, but I haven't shot or handled one of theirs with the folding stock, so I don't know. No I don't work for Aim, but they tend to have good deals
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

Distinguished Member Array p8riot's Avatar
    For a SHTF rifle look at THIS GUY'S prices (It's a big page, you have to do some scrolling to find the deals), for a safe queen buy the PolyTech. I've never spent more that $400 for an AK, and I have never had any problems with any of them. IMHO the best SHTF rifle you can buy for the money.
    "You can get more with a kind word and a gun than you can with a kind word alone." - Al Capone

The second amendment is the reset button of our Constitution.

I posted this in a few other places but will repost it here in case anyone is interested. At least while they have them in stock....

6 and 12 packs of used AK mags (which some are reporting getting a few really interesting Rare mags out of the bunch).

http://www.sportsmansguide.com/cb/cb.asp?a=282484

Both the following coupon codes are for $10 off orders of $50 or more

Expire May 31 2007

SPGK410
    SPGK567

Use one of these coupons (only can use one and only once) at check out as a member and get the 12 - 30 round AK 47 Magazine for $72 shipped. Or about $80 for 12 if you don't want to join or are not a member already you can still plug in the coupons codes I do believe. Thats still a great value. Either $6 a mag or like $6.67 a mag.

Distinguished Member Array p8riot's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by cphilip View Post
    I posted this in a few other places but will repost it here in case anyone is interested. At least while they have them in stock....

6 and 12 packs of used AK mags (which some are reporting getting a few really interesting Rare mags out of the bunch).

http://www.sportsmansguide.com/cb/cb.asp?a=282484

Both the following coupon codes are for $10 off orders of $50 or more

Expire May 31 2007

SPGK410
    SPGK567

Use one of these coupons (only can use one and only once) at check out as a member and get the 12 - 30 round AK 47 Magazine for $72 shipped. Or about $80 for 12 if you don't want to join or are not a member already you can still plug in the coupons codes I do believe. Thats still a great value. Either $6 a mag or like $6.67 a mag.
    Thanks cphilip, I need to pick up some more. Specially now.
    "You can get more with a kind word and a gun than you can with a kind word alone." - Al Capone

The second amendment is the reset button of our Constitution.

Thanks for info y'all. I'll post some pics as soon as I settle on the new AK

Links