Finally got my Bulgarian Ak-47 by Arsenal

This is a discussion on Finally got my Bulgarian Ak-47 by Arsenal within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; This is a Bulgarian SSR 85C by Armory USA formally known as Arsenal. I've been waiting and waiting to get this and finally!! I'm like ...

Thread: Finally got my Bulgarian Ak-47 by Arsenal

Finally got my Bulgarian Ak-47 by Arsenal

This is a Bulgarian SSR 85C by Armory USA formally known as Arsenal. I've been waiting and waiting to get this and finally!! I'm like a kid at Christmas. Anyone else own one of these or something by Armory USA or Arsenal? If so, Post em, cause I and I'm sure everyone else would like to see 'em.

If anyone has shot one of these fill me in. I haven't had a chance to go to the range yet and probably won't for a couple of weeks.

Oh...I also picked up me a Hungarian AMD 65 a couple weeks ago off gunbroker.com. It's pretty sweet to. I'll post pics as well...maybe in another thread.

Rossi .38
    AK-47 Bulgarian SSR 85C 2
    AK-47 Hungarian AMD 63

Chuck Norris has to maintain a concealed weapon license in all 50 states in order to legally wear his pants.

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    On the last pic, you are missing sandals.
    You have to make the shot when fire is smoking, people are screaming, dogs are barking, kids are crying and sirens are coming.
    Randy Cain.

Ego will kill you. Leave it at home.
    Signed: Me!

Senior Member Array Ride4TheBrand's Avatar
    Will you be selling this one too?
    "We must remember that one man is much
    the same as another, and that he is best
    who is trained in the severest school."
    ~Thucydides, History of the Peloponnesian War

Administrator
    I got one, they are great. Most people dont understand just what they are and how well they are made compared to others.
    Enjoy.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Actually... I think Arsenal is still Arsenal. Who is, now in the USA, Arsenal Inc. They assemble them here in the US. There is two Arsenals essentialy now. Arsenal USA and Arsenal Bulgaria. They are joint companies.

Armory is Global trades. Who I believe uses Bulgarian parts and makes some of it's own parts. They make fine stamped recievers I am told. One of thier main guys used to work for Arsenal. They do make good stuff though. But they are not Arsenal. At least best I can tell. They probably import some of the parts for thier rifles from Arsenal though I would suspect. And thier main design was from Arsenal. I don't mean to imply they are not excellent guns and all that. But they are not Arsenal. They are Armory USA. They have some historical ties and roots back from Arsenal.

And I do own an Arsenal but a Arsenal Bulgaria made "Milled" Reciever from back in 1993 when they were coming straight in from Bulgaria by an importer called D.I.G. out of Virginia Beach Virginia. They no longer are in business. These were completely built in Bulgaria in them days.

But now I believe all of it comes through and is assembled now by Arsenal Inc if I am not mistaken.

Mine is an SA-93 but the stock has been changed to more normalish wood from its original "Butt hole" stock.

Here is the classic Arsenal marking (in the milled recessed area)

Last edited by cphilip; February 17th, 2007 at 01:12 AM.

VIP Member
    Nice AK cphilip
    USAF: Loving Our Obscene Amenities Since 1947

Very nice AK you got there!!

Yeah from what I've been told Armory USA has very close ties to Arsenal and they are actually working with people from "Arsenal" to design and manufacture these AK's . The quality of these AK's are absolutely superb and when you hold it you can feel the quality. Supposedly the 1.6mm reciever they use is closely comparible to milled AK's. They claim that it holds up as well as a milled reciever yet is much lighter. I personally don't think that a stamped AK can get any better.

If I were everyone else I would just save up a couple extra hundred bucks and go for one of these rather than the Romanians or Yugo's. It's well worth it. I almost bought a milled Arsenal off gunbroker but thought about it hard and for my purposes I don't really need a milled reciever.

I'm not going to be in the jungle for weeks on end and firing thousands and thousands of rounds through this gun. Plus the thicker reciever is suppose to be VERY close to the milled.

I recommend everyone get ahold of one of these while possible.

You never know we might not be able to buy these in the near future!!!
    Springfield EMP
    XD 40 SC
    Para Slim Hawg
    Rossi .38
    AK-47 Hungarian AMD 63

Chuck Norris has to maintain a concealed weapon license in all 50 states in order to legally wear his pants.

Those are some nice looking AK's. Once I learn my digital camera I will post a photo of my Norinco MAK91.

Here is the link to Armory/Global Trades story as Global tells it

http://www.globaltrades.com/companyinfo.html

Quote Originally Posted by cphilip View Post
    Actually... I think Arsenal is still Arsenal. Who is, now in the USA, Arsenal Inc. They assemble them here in the US. There is two Arsenals essentialy now. Arsenal USA and Arsenal Bulgaria. They are joint companies.

Armory is Global trades. Who I believe uses Bulgarian parts and makes some of it's own parts. They make fine stamped recievers I am told. One of thier main guys used to work for Arsenal. They do make good stuff though. But they are not Arsenal. At least best I can tell. They probably import some of the parts for thier rifles from Arsenal though I would suspect. And thier main design was from Arsenal. I don't mean to imply they are not excellent guns and all that. But they are not Arsenal. They are Armory USA. They have some historical ties and roots back from Arsenal.

And I do own an Arsenal but a Arsenal Bulgaria made "Milled" Reciever from back in 1993 when they were coming straight in from Bulgaria by an importer called D.I.G. out of Virginia Beach Virginia. They no longer are in business. These were completely built in Bulgaria in them days.

But now I believe all of it comes through and is assembled now by Arsenal Inc if I am not mistaken.

Mine is an SA-93 but the stock has been changed to more normalish wood from its original "Butt hole" stock.

Here is the classic Arsenal marking (in the milled recessed area)

How do you like the traditional stock on that Arsenal? The angle of my butt stock is more in line with the reciever, but it seems that on yours the stock is angle down more, I believe which were characteristic of the original AK's. I may be wrong.

The best feeling AK I've held as far as the butt stock goes is my Yugo by Century Arms. It sits nice and tight against the shoulder, but both my Hungarian and Bulgarian sit weird against the shoulder.
    Springfield EMP
    XD 40 SC
    Para Slim Hawg
    Rossi .38
    AK-47 Hungarian AMD 63

It shoulders pretty good for me. Not shot it much so really not certain if I can say I like it or not. I do know I hate the look of the original "no pistol grip, hole butt ban things" (I still have it). So, heck, even if its not perfect I am going to live with it! LOL!

I do like the finish color and looks on this particular wood set. I have a set of black plastic stock stuff here that I was going to put on, but I have changed my mind now on that. And now plan to use that Black plastic stuff to do a Romainian Kit build gun. With, coincidentaly, a Armory stamped receiver I believe.

Quote Originally Posted by cphilip View Post
    It shoulders pretty good for me. Not shot it much so really not certain if I can say I like it or not. I do know I hate the look of the original "no pistol grip, hole butt ban things" (I still have it). So, heck, even if its not perfect I am going to live with it! LOL!

I do like the finish color and looks on this particular wood set. I have a set of black plastic stock stuff here that I was going to put on, but I have changed my mind now on that. And now plan to use that Black plastic stuff to do a Romainian Kit build gun. With, coincidentaly, a Armory stamped receiver I believe.
    Wow. That will be a sweet romanian. Definitely one of the better ones. Post pics when you get it finished.

What do you mean by "no pistol grip, hole butt ban things"? Not familiar with that. Is that the stocks that are huge and are cut out so you can wrap your thumb around? Are they banned?
    Springfield EMP
    XD 40 SC
    Para Slim Hawg
    Rossi .38
    AK-47 Hungarian AMD 63

Yep. The one that your gripped through the hole.

No... that was a ban thing. It was to get around the ban. Because one of the things they could not have was a pistol grip. So they made that stock to get around that rule. Since it was one peice it was not considered a Pistol grip so allowed. Silly isn't it? You will see lots of those after the "Assault Weapons" ban came in.

You would find them in Wood and in Black plastic too. More often taken off immediately. But some people actualy like them!

Here in this gaggle of parts you will see it, bottom left. That would have been the original part on this when it was imported. Now replaced with that Cherry finished US wood kit that you seen above in those pictures. Also in that picture is the Black stock set I plan to use on the Romanian/Global/Armory *******.

Links