Got my first rifle!

This is a discussion on Got my first rifle! within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Finally, my belated range report. First, the conditions of the range: It was very sunny, great visibility. The temperature was around 55 degrees F. Winds ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Got my first rifle!

Finally, my belated range report. First, the conditions of the range:
    It was very sunny, great visibility. The temperature was around 55 degrees F. Winds were breezy with thirty mile-an-hour gusts across the range. Good weather to learn on!

As stated before, the largest caliber rifle I have ever shot before the Marlin 336A was a .22 magnum. All shots were at 100 yards, sitting down at a....well, I'm not sure of the term. It is a "U" shaped booth with a bench to sit in the center of the "U". I fired six shots with a benchrest (my second group of six), the rest were with just me and the rifle. I held the rifle clear of the table, with my elbows braced on the tabletop. In total, I put twenty-six rounds down range. 20 were Monarch 170 grain flat soft points. The last six were Winchester 150 grain power points. I took more ammo than I could shoot (I've got a box of LeveRevolution and some Remington Core-Lokt left for the next trip to the range). Though I held the rifle tight against my shoulder, it is still sore. The .30-30 is not a round to be underestimated. I'll be getting a recoil pad for the rifle this week! Rather than compensate for the wind, I tried to time my shots between gusts.

Onto my target: The shots circled (plus the two at the top and bottom edge) were my first thirteen shots (loaded just one round first, then two full magazines). I was not able to shoot enough to get a great feel for the ballistics (or the difference between 150 and 170 grain), but I think that the round falls between 2 and 3 inches over 100 yards. The first two shots were low, then my shots were high (I tried to manually compensate). Nine rounds into it, I adjusted the sights one "click" higher and got a pretty good compensation. The rest of my rounds were a little high, and to the left, and I had a single round miss the paper entirely. I did have two rounds drift in the wind. For those not familiar with the Leupold 100-Yard Target, it is 14" square.

The pictures were taken with my camera phone (left both my real cameras at the office).

Overall, I am very impressed with the rifle. The .30-30 seems to be a good, flat shooting round. Even with the wind, it went about where I wanted it. The 336A has a great trigger. It has almost no travel, and breaks like a sheet of glass. I still pulled a little (in anticipation of recoil more than anything). That will get better with the recoil pad and more practice, I'm sure. Oh, and I could barely keep my heart rate steady (damn excitement and adrenalin). Not very conducive to a good rifleman, but I've had this happen every time I shot a new gun the first time.

So, 25 out of 26 rounds in a 14" group at 100 yards in moderate wind with iron sights. How did I do?
    Attached Images
    "To my mind it is wholly irresponsible to go into the world incapable of preventing violence, injury, crime, and death. How feeble is the mindset to accept defenselessness. How unnatural. How cheap. How cowardly. How pathetic." Ted Nugent

SIC VIS PACEM PARA BELLUM.

2. Remove Ads

Assistant Administrator
    How did I do?
    Heck - first time out, open sights - new rifle - not darned bad at all. This is well good enough to ''prove'' the gun and before long you'll have that tightened up a lot, and quite easily.

You have only just started enjoying that gun!!! Thx for the report.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Good rifle, great choice for a "first" rifle. For TEXAS, it will do everything you want. The 336 was my first "deer rifle". It was a Western Field (Montgomery Ward brand). It took several deer, but later I wanted bigger, better, something in the mag category, so I evolved through the whole spectrum. Now, after over 50 years of hunting/shooting, guess which one is the current "deer rifle"? Yep, a Marlin 336 in 30-30, open sights. (I don't care for a scope-mounted Marlin). Try the 110grs - they're great for coyotes and Javelinas.

Thanks Chris, you're quite welcome!

Geezer- 110 grain? I haven't done much ammo shopping yet (just my regular gun store and Academy), but I haven't seen anything below 150 grain. Guess I've got to do some more shopping around for ammo to test out (or read the labels more closely at the wall 'o ammo at Academy). Thanks for the tip.
    "To my mind it is wholly irresponsible to go into the world incapable of preventing violence, injury, crime, and death. How feeble is the mindset to accept defenselessness. How unnatural. How cheap. How cowardly. How pathetic." Ted Nugent

I was about to go to bed and I realized that I hadn't filled out the warranty card yet. So I grabbed the box to get it out and I saw what's in the picture. I knew my rifle was born in the States, but it was nice to see it printed in nice big, red, bold letters! Always a good thing to see on a product. So here's another picture off my cell phone (taken in lowlight and quickly photoshopped a bit for clarity).
    Attached Images

Distinguished Member Array Doc Holliday's Avatar
    Congrats, I have a Mod 94 that is near and dear to my heart. I took my first deer with a Marlin lever action in .45-70.
    Why Ike, whatever do you mean? Maybe poker's just not your game Ike. I know! Let's have a spelling contest!

CLP!

Congrats on the new rifle. Good choice with the Breakfree CLP. Ive been using the stuff for years and it's always done what they advertise. And I definately agree with the other guys, keep it tight, and use a sling, it's a really usefull accesory. Even that cabine can get mighty heavy after you've been lugging it around in the woods all day. And as for "How'd I do?" heck, ya did'nt drop it, you hit what you aimed at, and did'nt have any A.D.'s......... You did great. lol.
    "The more people I meet, the more I like my Dog"

Exclamation

Correction ! The 110 gr's are my reloads - sorry about that. Federal makes a 125 gr Hi-Shok Hollow Point that is just as effective. I believe that is the lightest commercially available.

Okay. So, a lighter bullet means greater velocity, more penetration, but less "stopping power". Right?

Hey congrats on the new gun. The marlin's have a soft spot in my heart. My son took his first deer with his great grandfather's Marlin 30-30 last year. There is nothing like the first night of deer camp in Michigan's U.P. with the firelight glinting off the freshly oiled wood on granddad's gun. You will have a ton of fun with this thing. Looks like a great day at the range too. Cangrats again!
    When the messenger arrives and says 'Don't shoot the messenger,' it's a good idea to be prepared to shoot the messenger, just in case.

Key Word Here...

Quote Originally Posted by Ride4TheBrand View Post
    There's just something nostalgic about a lever gun. I have a 1954 model 94 that I'd never part with. Besides being a pre '64 Winchester, the thing is accurate as all get out!

OH.. and words of wisdom? Hold her tight against the shoulder as you fire :)
    I just bought a 336 in Stainless...

Great purchase...

Enjoy the new addition to the family...

Stay armed...stay safe!

ret
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Ret - Nice! The stainless model does look very good.

I finally took a quick picture of the rifle with a real camera (got the recoil pad on it too). I'll put it through the paces again this Saturday.
    Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by Exodus View Post
    Ret - Nice! The stainless model does look very good.

I finally took a quick picture of the rifle with a real camera (got the recoil pad on it too). I'll put it through the paces again this Saturday.
    Good lookin' gun. That recoil pad should take some of the sharpness out of it. A Simm's pad on my 7mm Rem Mag. made a world of difference.

Good shooting.
    When the messenger arrives and says 'Don't shoot the messenger,' it's a good idea to be prepared to shoot the messenger, just in case.

Thanks. I'll post a full report on Saturday. Hopefully I'll be able to shoot more than 26 rounds.

Exodus - the lighter bullets do have slightly greater velosity, but for greater penetration and stopping power, I'd always rely on the 130 and 150 gr. rounds. Like I said originally, for coyotes and Javelina ( the original Texas residents) the lighter bullets offer great fun, and there is NO question when you make a hit. You have a keeper. Man, I'd love to have that stainless !!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links