Got my first rifle! - Page 3

Got my first rifle!

This is a discussion on Got my first rifle! within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Geezer, check out the Marlin XLR series: http://www.marlinfirearms.com/Firearms/xlr/336.aspx Those are some nice rifles! A little pricey though. They are built to take the fullest advantage ...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Got my first rifle!

Geezer,

check out the Marlin XLR series:
    http://www.marlinfirearms.com/Firearms/xlr/336.aspx

Those are some nice rifles! A little pricey though. They are built to take the fullest advantage of the Hornady LeveRevolution round.

Now, on to my belated (and abbreviated) range report.

I shot again at 100 yards, at a Leupold 100 yard target. Murphy's law prevailed. All last week it was clear with no wind. Late Friday, a front moved in bringing heavy winds. Luckily, they wore mostly behind me (as opposed to blowing across the range).

I fired a total of 34 rounds this go-around. The recoil pad made a huge difference! My shoulder was tired at the end of the day, but not sore. Accuracy-wise, I did better. I scored my first bulls-eye! My groups were better, but not perfect. Out of the 34 shots, five did not impact the target. I had one miss in the first six rounds. The second miss was after 20 rounds. I had the final three misses in the last six rounds. I was tired, and probably shouldn't have done the last magazine, but I wanted to finish the box of ammo. It'll just take some "exercise" to get used to the exertion.

I think I'm getting about the most accuracy I can out of the sights I have. Of course, some of the my shots are off (need to work on steadying myself some), but I've got a pretty clean six inch group around the bullseye (16 shots) with five in a 2" group (more luck than skill). The problem, I think is the sights. At 100 yards, the front post of my sights covers about 5" of the target. Can anyone suggest a "finer" sight (other than a scope)? Would it be possible to install myself?
    "To my mind it is wholly irresponsible to go into the world incapable of preventing violence, injury, crime, and death. How feeble is the mindset to accept defenselessness. How unnatural. How cheap. How cowardly. How pathetic." Ted Nugent

SIC VIS PACEM PARA BELLUM.

I'd suggest leaving the stock sights alone for now. You might try shooting without the front hood, this sometimes helps.
    Also, put a box through it at 50 yards - you'll get a much better feel for how the jewel handles, and an inch high at 50 yds will drop a deer at 100.

Geezer,

the hood doesn't bother me. Also, I'm doing pretty well on vertical positioning. My problem is horizontal. It is the width of the front post. Starting at 50 yards will definately help though.

Thanks for the tip.
    "To my mind it is wholly irresponsible to go into the world incapable of preventing violence, injury, crime, and death. How feeble is the mindset to accept defenselessness. How unnatural. How cheap. How cowardly. How pathetic." Ted Nugent

SIC VIS PACEM PARA BELLUM.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Sponsored Links