Got my first rifle!

This is a discussion on Got my first rifle! within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; So I'm a late bloomer.... I finally got my first rifle: a Marlin 336A - .30-30. I'll be taking it to the range tomorrow. I'll ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Got my first rifle!

Got my first rifle!

So I'm a late bloomer....

I finally got my first rifle: a Marlin 336A - .30-30.

I'll be taking it to the range tomorrow. I'll post pictures and a range report after I shoot it.

I'll be shooting Remington Express Core-Lokt 150 grain soft-points. Unfortunately, the gun store was out of Hornady's new LeveRevelotion

It certainly won't be my first shoot, but the first time I've ever shot a rifle that wasn't a .22. Any words of wisdom?

Also, the .30 WCF I got has a pretty pointed nose (but it is soft lead). I assume that it is safe. How do you tell if a round is safe for the lever action? I thought that the .30-30 rounds had flat points so they can't impact the primer of the round in front of them (chain reactions are bad), but these have kind of flat soft points, but the flat points are about the same diameter of the primer. So, is any soft point safe? I know that the LeveRevelolution works with a polymer point. So, forgive my ignorance (and rambling) and thanks in advance for the help!
    "To my mind it is wholly irresponsible to go into the world incapable of preventing violence, injury, crime, and death. How feeble is the mindset to accept defenselessness. How unnatural. How cheap. How cowardly. How pathetic." Ted Nugent

SIC VIS PACEM PARA BELLUM.

2. Remove Ads

Senior Member Array mech1369dlw's Avatar
    You have gotten an excellent rifle. yours, and the Winchester model 94, together, has taken more game animals that probably all others combined. It isn't the most powerful rifle ever made, but it is a great gun. As for the ammo you got, I have been using core-lokt ammo since 68. Within reasonable ranges, 100 yards or so, they should mushroom to about the size of a nickle. That bullet going thru the vitals of a deer will give you many good meals. I used the 30-30's back in the day in Pa. along with a .300 savage. Close to the same in size, they are excellent choices. As for feeding, dont worry about it. They will not hurt each other when ya load the rifle. Have fun with that thing.
    A person is justified in the use of deadly force, if such person reasonably believes deadly force is necessary to prevent imminent death or great bodily harm to such person or a third person.

Senior Member Array Ride4TheBrand's Avatar
    There's just something nostalgic about a lever gun. I have a 1954 model 94 that I'd never part with. Besides being a pre '64 Winchester, the thing is accurate as all get out!

OH.. and words of wisdom? Hold her tight against the shoulder as you fire :)
    "We must remember that one man is much
    the same as another, and that he is best
    who is trained in the severest school."
    ~Thucydides, History of the Peloponnesian War

Assistant Administrator
    You will enjoy this - a lot!!

Indeed altho bullet tip seems same size as primer - there is no way inertial movements of rounds can get close to producing the indent needed on a primer, such as a firing pin can. The force is too well distributed over whole primer surface.

The ol ''thuddy thuddy'' is a great small round and has one heck of a heritage attached, for good reason. Love it and want a lever myself in said cal - one day.

Look fwd to a pic or two and report.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

VIP Member
    Congratulations on the new rifle. I got my Marlin 336W on Monday. See Great Day - New Gun. I have not shot mine yet. I have some of the Remingtons as well, and have ordered LeveRevolutions. The real difference between the Hornady LeverRevolutions and the Remingtons is that the Hornady really does have a point. It is in effect a hollow point with the flex tip and it is aerodynamic shape gives better performance. The soft lead in the Remington will deform before activating the primer, but will not return to original shape. It is also a flat tip which reduces performance.
    George

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe. Albert Einstein

Congratulations on your new rifle. You've got yourself a heck of a hunting rifle and even a darn good truck gun. It seems like everytime I'm in a gun shop or sporting goods store the guy at the counter next to me is looking for the next big Magnum cartridge for his first deer rifle. Sometimes people overlook what is proven and what has already worked for so many years. It's nice to see that maybe the nostalgia factor is still felt for the 30-30. Now I'm not going to get into a debate over which is best. To each his own but IMHO I feel that the 30-30 is a great all around rifle. I've seen everything from Deer, Bison, Elk and even some African Plains Game taken with the trusty good 'ol 30-30. Happy Shooting! It looks like you picked yourself a winner.

VIP Member
    Congrats on getting the new lever action.....I'd love to eventually get one myself.
    USAF: Loving Our Obscene Amenities Since 1947

I would love to find a nice lever gun! Good find.
    MNBurl

"If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking" - George S. Patton.

Thanks for the well wishes and confirmations of a good choice!

Cowboy- you're right about nostalgia and all the new wonder calibers. The .30-30 in a lever rifle was the "gun that won the west" for a reason. It has been proven over and over again to be accurate, reliable, and with good stopping power for medium game. I too feel that it'll be a very good all-around rifle.

Chris- I must admit that I'm surprised. I've seen so many threads were someone mentions a gun (esoteric or common) and you whip out a beautifully photographed firearm. I was beginning to think that you already had it all! You certainly have an impressive collection.

Doc & Chris- Thanks for the reassurance on my ammo.

Doc- Looks like we've both got new rifles to break in. A good problem to have!

Oh, and I forgot in my original post. I've already broken it down, cleaned out the factory grease and got a nice coat of Break-Free CLP on it. It smoothed the action out quite a bit.

Now my evil plot: I'm planning on putting black Ramline synthetic stocks on it. And maybe adding a red-dot sight. Not sure about that though.
    "To my mind it is wholly irresponsible to go into the world incapable of preventing violence, injury, crime, and death. How feeble is the mindset to accept defenselessness. How unnatural. How cheap. How cowardly. How pathetic." Ted Nugent

Good rifle, If that is the only rifle you ever own it will serve for almost anthing if need be. It will work as your SHTF rifle as well.
    Put a sling on it so you can hold it firm against you sholder as you work the lever. With practice you will be able to fire nearly as fast as a semiauto, and your eyes will never leave the sights.

Quote Originally Posted by Exodus View Post
    I finally got my first rifle: a Marlin 336A - .30-30. It certainly won't be my first shoot, but the first time I've ever shot a rifle that wasn't a .22. Any words of wisdom?
    After a long hiatus, I'm back into a Marlin lever rifle, as well, with an 1894P .44mag. Shoots exactly the same as any other rifle, but with a firmer kick/recoil. With the straight stock and shorty, carbine format (16" bbl, 33" OAL, < 6 lbs), I need to "lean into it" quite a bit more and place the butt of the stock higher up the front of my shoulder. Otherwise, same ol', same ol'.

Enjoy the new Marlin!
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Every American born baby should leave the hospital with a lever action rifle. (I waited 3 months to get my daughter one though)

I propose a law to pay for it with tax money, rather than wasting it on foreign aid or some crap.

Anyway, Glad you finally got yours, congrats & happy shooting.
    When you've got 'em by the balls, their hearts & minds will follow. Semper Fi.

Administrator
    Great firearm.

For The Newbie Shooter Members

I got back from the range about an hour ago (went back to my parents' place to clean the guns and for dinner after shooting).

The rifle shot very well. I need more practice. I'm too tired to write a coherent report now, so it'll have to wait 'till tomorrow after I've slept some!

Thanks to QK for getting us a picture to hold you all over!

Congrats! I still have my pre 64 model 94 winchester and it is still a deer making machine to this day!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links