HD Shotgun ammo at the ready?

This is a discussion on HD Shotgun ammo at the ready? within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I'm curious as to how people here who keep a home defense shotgun keep ammo ready for it. It looks to me as if the ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: HD Shotgun ammo at the ready?

I'm curious as to how people here who keep a home defense shotgun keep ammo ready for it. It looks to me as if the options so as to have the shotgun ready for quick use are
    1) keep the tube magazine loaded, chamber empty
    or with/without shells in the tube mag,
    2) 4-5 shells in an elastic shell-holder wrap around the buttstock
    3) several shells in one of those shell holders that mounts to the side of the receiver
    4) a sling with shellholders built in for 5-15 shells
    5) bandoliers that hold shells

I have a New England Firearms Pardenr pump 12 ga that pretty much is just used for weekly trap shooting, although it's also what I'd grab if I was awakened in the middle of the night by an intruder. I used to have the elastic stock shellholder with 5 shells, but have switched over to a sling that could also hold as many as 15 shells (for weight reasons, I don't load it up with that many). I wanted a sling anyway to make it easier to carry, and with a couple in the tube magazine ready to be racked in and a couple shells in the sling, I feel pretty well armed for anything.

What do you all like to do, and why?

I do number one, no round in chamber but safety off.

Nothing like the intimidation factor of a round racking into a shotgun!

Distinguished Member Array randytulsa2's Avatar
    Remington 870, one in the chamber, 4 in the tube. Safety on (it's in a hidden compartment on top of a coat rack).
    "...bad decisions that turn out well often make heroes."

Gary D. Mitchell, A Sniper's Journey: The Truth About the Man and the Rifle, P. 103, NAL Caliber books, 2006, 1st Ed.

Here's my setup which is my primary HD gun:

Benelli M1S90, Insight M3X light, loaded with 6 rounds of Hornady TAP OO in the tube, one round on the lifter tray, chamber empty. On the butt is a Specter Gear buttcuff with 6 more rounds of Hornady TAP OO.

http://www.spectergear.com/shotgun_bsh.htm

It stays under the bed in a V-Line long gun case with a simplex push button lock. In the picture is a 3 point sling that's mounted for range use. I was going to a combat shotgun class the day after I took the picture.

I like the M3X light because I own a couple and I can swap them out to different guns if needed, or quickly remove it when practicing in daylight.

I like the buttcuff as compared to a side saddle, because I don't like the chance of pinching the Benelli's aluminum receiver and I also don't like adding any extra width at that point. The only concern with the buttcuff is that in my case it requires strong hand loading, which to me, with practice isn't that big of a deal.

The Hornady TAP OO is the best patterning load I've found so far. The stuff is pretty remarkable out to 25 meters, at house distances it's about a 6" pattern at my longest potential shot.

Most of the time the Sling and the buttcuff aren't attached. I like the weight and quick pointing features of the Benelli without a bunch of stuff hanging off it.

IF I go through 7 rounds of OO, I'm just going to have to grab another gun.

Chuck
    homo homini lupus est

Quote Originally Posted by cphilip View Post
    I do number one, no round in chamber but safety off.

Nothing like the intimidation factor of a round racking into a shotgun!
    Same here. That sound is known in all languages!

Quote Originally Posted by PackerfanXD View Post
    Same here. That sound is known in all languages!

I should add I have no kids in the house. Well... my kid is 20 years old that is.

No kids here either; just 2 APBTs.

Distinguished Member Array lowflyer's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Chuck R. View Post
    Here's my setup which is my primary HD gun:

It stays under the bed in a V-Line long gun case with a simplex push button lock.
    Now that is what I call a HD gun!

I need to get one of those cases. My Benny stays locked up in the safe.
    Whatever doesn't kill you postpones the inevitable.

VIP Member
    1 in chamber, 5 in the tube. No kids in house. Sound might be universal, but I want the "drop" on the BG if he is in the house.

Before guests come I open chamber and insert cable through action opening and lock to cast eyebolt secured to wall stud and slide under bed. Same procedure before leaving house.

edit: 5 are on elastic buttstock shell holder also.
    21 years and 21 days, United States Marine Corps.

The line of hard men willing to rain violence on our enemies so you can sleep warmly and safely in your bed at night continues. That's what we do. Semper fi.

NRA Life Member since 1972

I want any intruder hearing the gun racking. I figure that will most likely scare anyone off if they do get in. I see the point of having the surprise factor, but I live in a one bedroom apartment. I should hear them before they get all the way inside... if I don't then I'm probably screwed!

Oh, and 5 in the tube (magnum triple aught) empty chamber and safety on.

VIP Member
    I have a pair of dogs in that sleep in the house so his attention should be focused on them until I arrive. I don't want to draw attention to me and I don't want to "short-stroke" the action in the excitement and start the conflict out with a jam.

I can see, in a one bedroom, that you would be looking for all the advantage that you can get and the shock factor is high in a quiet room when the slide racks.
    21 years and 21 days, United States Marine Corps.

The line of hard men willing to rain violence on our enemies so you can sleep warmly and safely in your bed at night continues. That's what we do. Semper fi.

NRA Life Member since 1972

Distinguished Member Array lowflyer's Avatar
    I will take any tactical advantage I can get. If the perp thinks I am unarmed, that is what I would consider a tactical advantage. It is not worth the gamble to me that racking the slide just might scare away the BG. Things don't always work out like they do in the movies.
    Whatever doesn't kill you postpones the inevitable.

Administrator
    Heres what I do with my 870... load up the tube with the flavor of the day... I keep slugs in the saddle, in case I cant get the job done with shot. Check to make sure chamber is empty. Check it again. Crack open the bolt just enough to stick my finger in the chamber, nope, no shell.
    Take finger out, close chamber. Pull the trigger on the empty chamber. Gun is now ready.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Lead Moderator
    I kept the ghamber empty when I used a shotty for HD. Safety on, too. always have a loaded pistol at the ready , but the shotgun was close.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

Senior Moderator
    I have the tube loaded with #4 Turkey Load 3in magnums, with butt pouch containing 3 00 buck and 2 slugs.
    The chamber is empty with the saftey off.
    A real man loves his wife, and places his family as the most important thing in life. Nothing has brought me more peace and content in life than simply being a good husband and father.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links