Mossberg Aluminum Receiver - Asset or Liability

This is a discussion on Mossberg Aluminum Receiver - Asset or Liability within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Here goes. I own a Mossberg 500 7+1 cruiser that I have fitted a Knoxx Spec-Ops Stock (w/ power pack) and a pelican M3 incan ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mossberg Aluminum Receiver - Asset or Liability

New Member Array BufordTJustice's Avatar

Question Mossberg Aluminum Receiver - Asset or Liability

Here goes. I own a Mossberg 500 7+1 cruiser that I have fitted a Knoxx Spec-Ops Stock (w/ power pack) and a pelican M3 incan light. I am biased because I am very pleased with my shotgun. I have read a lot lately on this forum and many others that the aluminum receiver on mossbergs can be a problem because it is not as strong as steel. It is my ignorant opinion that the difference between the two is moot; i think they are both adequate and here's why:

The chamber pressures in a 12g shotgun are well below 15,000 PSI according to SAAMI (If I've got my numbers right; feel free to double check). My SIG P228 9mm sees chamber pressures in excess of 35,000 PSI when using +P ammunition. My SIG has an aluminum frame as do many other handguns. With an appropriately larger frame, wouldn't an aluminum receiver be quite adequate? I don't worry at all about the aluminum construction. I don't see any empirical evidence that the aluminum is less adequate than the steel used in Remingtons and others. I know the steel is stronger, but it seems that, IMHO, it's a little overkill. Don't get me wrong, I'm a 23 year old Tim 'the Toolman' Taylor. I'm surprised I could spell 'overkill'.

What say you, ladies and gents?

2. Remove Ads

Well, USUALLY the scattergun doesn't see as much range time as the pistola does...at least MINE doesn't. But that could be because I have the Mossy 590 with the STEEL receiver and the damned thing weighs a ton!

But...no...I don't see a problem with it at all.

Non-issue. Go to www.shotgunworld.com and checkout the Mossberg section and see if you can find one that has broken.

My Mossy 500 is 11 years old and is still shooting so nice.
    MNBurl

"If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking" - George S. Patton.

I've been shooting them for years, and know of several guns which have thousands of rounds through them, one of which I own. Two friends of mine who hunt and shoot sporting clays and skeet theirs exclusively.

Unlike some on this board, my shotguns get a lot more shooting than my handguns or pistols. I have never seen a malfunction thus far caused by the aluminum reciever. In fact , I can't recall ever seeing one malfunction period.
    When you've got 'em by the balls, their hearts & minds will follow. Semper Fi.

Quote Originally Posted by Glock 'em down View Post
    Well, USUALLY the scattergun doesn't see as much range time as the pistola does...at least MINE doesn't. But that could be because I have the Mossy 590 with the STEEL receiver and the damned thing weighs a ton!
    I was unaware that 590s had steel receivers. The 590A1s (mil spec) have metal trigger guards, but if I remember correctly, even they still have aluminum receivers.

edit; nope, my 590's receiver ain't steel.
    Discretion is the better part of valour; and a virtue beyond reproach.
    Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

VIP Member Array Redneck Repairs's Avatar
    Wayy back when the aluminum framed 590 came about ( a revamp of the 500 ) due to a request from the .mil it originaly ( for them ) went to spec opps . we benifited . Note tho that the spec was for a 2 3/4 gun not a 3" and figure reciever life ect.. accordingly .
    Make sure you get full value out of today , Do something worthwhile, because what you do today will cost you one day off the rest of your life .
    We only begin to understand folks after we stop and think .

Criminals are looking for victims, not opponents.

Distinguished Member Array Colin's Avatar
    My 500 is having issues with the trigger assembly which seems to be it's weakest point. I replaced it with a 590 as I shoot 3" mag slugs for bear defence, how do you like your Specops stock?

New Member Array BufordTJustice's Avatar
    Well said, gentleman. You have confirmed what I thought all along.

Colin, I LOVE My Spec Ops stock! I can shoot 3" Winchester Super X 1oz slugs all day. Literally, 25 in one session, plus two 25rnd boxes of magnum (Super handicap) trap loads, then another two 25 round boxes of Remington Magnum buckshot. In one afternoon. I'm 5'10" and 193 lbs. I barely had a red mark on my shoulder...with no soreness at all. My girlfriend and little sister can shoot normal loads without being intimidated. It's amazing and is worth every penny.

I have a limbsaver recoil pad (from Knoxx; $29.99 + ship) on my Spec Ops....more for the non-slip than recoil reduction...but paired w/ the limbsaver...it's just amazing. It shoots noticably softer than my dad's well worn Remington 1100. Both he and I A-B's the guns and we both agreed my pump 500 with knoxx shot softer. The RO also agreed. I could go on, but i don't wanna induce too much thread drift.

Thanx for all the replies thus far. Best Regards.

Just a Little Extra Info...

I've always been a Remington 870 guy and have owned literally dozens of 'em for all kinds of Shooting Sports. They've also always had steel receivers. When it came time to build a dedicated "tactical" (I'm starting to HATE that word) pump shotgun, a U.S.M.C. buddy of mine told me that the shotgun that PASSED the durability & reliability testing requirements of the U.S. Military is the Mossburg 590A1, the same cannot be said for my beloved 870. I did a little research & discovered he was absolutely right (******!). So...I don't think you should concern yourself about the stoutness of the aluminum alloy Mossburg receiver. I've NEVER EVEN HEARD a Gunshop Commando rumor that one has EVER layed-down & quit.
    There are only TWO kinds of people in this world; those who describe the world as filled with two kinds of people...and those who don't.

Distinguished Member Array Colin's Avatar
    Took my 500 apart to try to find the problem with it, no wear on the reciever, some peaning on the edge of the bolt face from being closed with no round in the chamber, I think my problem is with the trigger assembly. Seems from my reading the trigger assembly is the weakest point in the gun followed by dirty and not easily accesiable magazine tube. Next is bent extractors, caused by fumble fingers while reassembling.

I have owned and shot both a mossberg and an 870 remington. When time came to replace the 870 tactical that i traded for me jeep i went with a mossberg 500 persuader. I love this gun and have not seen any malfunctions at all. The same cannot be said for my 870. so from personal experience i say the mossbergs hold up just fine.

I don't know what my 835 has and I don't care. I shoot over 1000
    3 1/2's through it every year then I put it away and don't kick the mud off it 'til next huntin' season. No complaints, no worries.
    If he was gonna decorate his bar with my friend, he shoulda armed himself.

Distinguished Member Array p8riot's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by General Geoff View Post
    I was unaware that 590s had steel receivers. The 590A1s (mil spec) have metal trigger guards, but if I remember correctly, even they still have aluminum receivers.

edit; nope, my 590's receiver ain't steel.
    That's right. My 590A1 has an aluminum receiver. That said, I don't think that there is any inherent disadvantage to it. It makes the gun a little lighter, but when you are carrying 8+1+6 in a side saddle, you don't notice the difference.

Quote Originally Posted by ghost tracker View Post
    a U.S.M.C. buddy of mine told me that the shotgun that PASSED the durability & reliability testing requirements of the U.S. Military is the Mossburg 590A1, the same cannot be said for my beloved 870. I did a little research & discovered he was absolutely right (******!).
    If I recall correctly, the reason the Mossberg beat out the Remington is because Remington never entered the competition.

Quote Originally Posted by Colin View Post
    Seems from my reading the trigger assembly is the weakest point in the gun....
    That is because the 500 trigger assembly is housed in plastic. You can replace it with a metal assembly if you are really concerned about it.
    Last edited by p8riot; March 17th, 2007 at 09:11 AM.
    "You can get more with a kind word and a gun than you can with a kind word alone." - Al Capone

The second amendment is the reset button of our Constitution.

My Mossberg 500 Persuader has served me well for a number of years... functions with perfect reliability and I see no drawback to the aluminum receiver.

As an aside, the 870 certainly gets a lot of press and has a lot of advocates, but ya know, compared to the Mossberg, I'd take the Mossberg ANY day over an 870 because of the controls! I'm sure the Mossberg and the Remington are pretty much equally reliable, but the slide release on the Mossberg is positioned in a MUCH better place than that on the 870. Beyond that, the safety is better positioned as well. And lastly, the lifter is always up and out of the way on the 500/590... allowing additional feeds to the tube very quickly & easily, as desired.

When it comes to guns, like many other things, the human interface/ergonomics of operation are very important and in this regard, Mossberg has it all over Remington.

Mossberg 500/590 all the way for this camper.
    The clowns in government office see the solution to everything is write more laws, creating the ever-mounting morass of legal handicaps that we citizens must labor under.

STATE'S RIGHTS RULE and should be INVIOLATE. Feds butt out!

OD*
    If I recall correctly, the reason the Mossberg beat out the Remington is because Remington never entered the competition.
    Because they didn't have to, the Remington's were already in the armory's.
    "The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Diligentia Vis Celeritas"

"There is very little new, and the forgotten is constantly being rediscovered."
    ~ Tiger McKee

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links