Jefferson's Assault Rifle?

This is a discussion on Jefferson's Assault Rifle? within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; What an ingenious piece of history. Bearing ArmsThomas Jefferson's "Assault Rifle" - Bearing Arms...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree33Likes

Thread: Jefferson's Assault Rifle?

Jefferson's Assault Rifle?

rocky, Jk1911, ccw9mm and 7 others like this.

Distinguished Member Array patri0t's Avatar
    Super Great Post !!
    This kills a many arguments regarding the wishes of our forefathers. Thanks.
    CommonCents likes this.
    Retired Deputy- State Trooper (38 long years) 8 yrs RTO - MS Degree- Criminology
    Gun Control measures are Unconstitutional Infringements. Period.
    "...He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one"- Luke 22:36

Distinguished Member Array CommonCents's Avatar
    wow, very cool!

The envy of slaves and free men the world over no doubt!
    There is a solution but we are not Jedi... not yet.
    Doghandler

We have deep thinkers and stinkers in this group that could come up with a solution...
    welder516

Distinguished Member Array Brady's Avatar
    A very cool air rifle. Believe I read about it in the NRA's American Rifleman magazine a few years ago.
    ...he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one. Luke 22:36
    USN/VET; NRA; GOA, jpfo.org
    Life in a Jar: The Irena Sendler Project www.irenasendler.com

VIP Member
    IIRC I read that the Lewis & Clark expedition would demonstrate the air rifles on purpose to various Indian tribes. The near silent surprise and effectiveness of the rifle caused the Indians to rethink any hostile intentions toward the expedition.
    Badey likes this.
    Turn the election's in 2014 to a "2A Revolution". It will serve as a 1994 refresher not to "infringe" on our Second Amendment. We know who they are now.........SEND 'EM HOME. Our success in this will be proportional to how hard we work to make it happen.

VIP Member
    "For someone who is nearly as smart as I am, how can you be so wrong about this?"

I wish someone would create a modern version of this work of art, because I want one!
    niks likes this.
    "ALWAYS EXPECT THE UNEXPECTED!"

VIP Member
    NOVA...200 square miles surrounded by reality
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike1956 View Post
    Even more information NRA Museums:

Another video bottom right corner
    Mike1956 likes this.
    “Are you a thermometer or a thermostat, do you reflect or become what is happening in the room or do you change the atmosphere, reset the temperature when you come into the room”?--Chuck Swindoll

Its not about guns...Its about Freedom!

Quote Originally Posted by Sliderfusion View Post
    I wish someone would create a modern version of this work of art, because I want one!
    I'd buy a replica in a heartbeat.

Sponsor
    As it's an air rifle, it's not an assault rifle. It's not fully auto or capable of same with one pull of the trigger. It MIGHT be considered a high capacity rifle, but that doesn't make it an assault rifle [ by proper definition of same ]
    The mind is the limiting factor

Quick Kill Rifle and Pistol Instructor

I've known about this for quite some time. Cool, cool, cool. Very helpful against anti-2A.

Quote Originally Posted by PAcanis View Post
    I'd buy a replica in a heartbeat.
    I dunno man, that air tank gets pumped up to insane PSI. we don't really know for sure, but I guess they think there may have been some catastrophic failures in these things back in the day. I suppose we oculd make the tank better now, but that's a bomb you're walking around with....

ok, I'd take one too.... !
    PAcanis and niks like this.
    Beans, Bullets, and Bandages. The only thing better than being ready is not having to use it!

"First comes smiles. Then comes lies. Last is Gunfire."

Quote Originally Posted by AzQkr View Post
    As it's an air rifle, it's not an assault rifle. It's not fully auto or capable of same with one pull of the trigger. It MIGHT be considered a high capacity rifle, but that doesn't make it an assault rifle [ by proper definition of same ]
    You may be technically correct, but when some Anti screeches about high capacity clips killing children, they are ALSO not techinically correct, and this air rifle serves purposefully against their argument, WE know better, but that doesn't matter for that purpose.

this would be functionally the same as an AR-15 against a classroom full of (unarmed and unprotected) kids.
    Beans, Bullets, and Bandages. The only thing better than being ready is not having to use it!

"First comes smiles. Then comes lies. Last is Gunfire."

Sponsor
    Quote Originally Posted by DingBat View Post
    I've known about this for quite some time. Cool, cool, cool. Very helpful against anti-2A.

I dunno man, that air tank gets pumped up to insane PSI. we don't really know for sure, but I guess they think there may have been some catastrophic failures in these things back in the day. I suppose we oculd make the tank better now, but that's a bomb you're walking around with....

ok, I'd take one too.... !
    How so? Only two were brought into the country expressly for the journey west. They weren't obtained nor used by militiamen of the times.
    The mind is the limiting factor

Quick Kill Rifle and Pistol Instructor

This gun was ideal for a long expedition that couldn't carry unlimited supplies. Only shot or a source of lead was needed, no powder. Also the rapid rate of fire was a huge plus, since it turned 2 men into the same firepower as 20. More than a hunting rifle, as a defensive weapon it was at the top of the pyramid of personal weapons. Today we regularly charge tanks to 3000 psi and beyond (SCUBA) so 850 psi is not difficult. I imagine with a compressed air tank to recharge the small rifle tank you could shoot all day.
    One other advantage just occurred to me, no powder residue and nasty (and far too frequent) cleaning needed. Just minor lead fouling and at that low velocity there would not be too much of it either.

That video was very good, thanks for posting it.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links