Tacticooling the Mosin-Nagant

This is a discussion on Tacticooling the Mosin-Nagant within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Haha, okay, this isn't as mall-ninjaish as it sounds. Think of this as a hypthetical scenario: Let's say for self defense you had only the ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tacticooling the Mosin-Nagant

Tacticooling the Mosin-Nagant

Haha, okay, this isn't as mall-ninjaish as it sounds. Think of this as a hypthetical scenario:

Let's say for self defense you had only the Mosin-Nagant 7.62 x 54 carbine in its most basic design. What would you do to personally customize it to fit your defense standards?
    A man without a blackthorn stick is a man without an expedient. - Irish Proverb

Why so SERIOUS?

2. Remove Ads

Senior Moderator
    Id put a bayonet on it.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

VIP Member Array Redneck Repairs's Avatar
    scout mount with an illuminated recticule ( not a red dot ) long eye relief scope. would be about all a fella would need to do , synthetic stock would be nice if money allowed since they soak up a bit of recoil .
    Make sure you get full value out of today , Do something worthwhile, because what you do today will cost you one day off the rest of your life .
    We only begin to understand folks after we stop and think .

Criminals are looking for victims, not opponents.

Lead Moderator
    Load it.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

Senior Moderator
    +1 Bayonet

Both my 91/30 and M44 would be one shot at close range and then they become spears.

M44 could set them on fire with the muzzle blast.
    “You can sway a thousand men by appealing to their prejudices quicker than you can convince one man by logic.”

― Robert A. Heinlein,

JT
    Here you go...

Blessed be the Lord my rock who trains my hands for war and my fingers for battle. Psalm 144:1

Si vis pacem, para bellum

Administrator
    Sell it.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Distinguished Member Array randytulsa2's Avatar
    Load it and stick the bayonet out. You don't need to do much more: It's perfectly designed for fighting, up close and personal.

Shoot till you run dry (if you have that kind of time), then get to sticking with that bayonet and bashing with that steel butt plate.

You could put a light on it, and a scope, too, I guess. But why? It ain't made for nuthin' but shootin', stickin' & bashin'.

And it (or at least all mine) would do all those things pretty darned well, I'm thinking, and be indestructible to boot.
    "...bad decisions that turn out well often make heroes."

Gary D. Mitchell, A Sniper's Journey: The Truth About the Man and the Rifle, P. 103, NAL Caliber books, 2006, 1st Ed.

If its a Carbine do you mean the M44, or the M38 without the bayonet? Because if it has the bayonet, you got a rifle, spear and club all in one.

I would be wary of using one in home defense, because your hearing will be absolutely gone, and most of the mil-surp ammo is steel core, so there would be major overpenetration issues. Also the bolts on those rifles don't tend to be the easiest to cycle.

If ya wanna duct tape a flashlight on it too, I guess ya could. But you would probably be better off to scrounge up a couple hundred bucks and at least get an sks (still have overpenetration issues, but they have bayonets if ya need em and are semi-auto.), or a pump action 12 gauge.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

Administrator
    I dont know... it kinda like trying to make a Chevette into a Corvette... it just aint going to happen.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Senior Member Array Ride4TheBrand's Avatar
    A Mosin-Nagant 7.62 x 54 carbine IS it's most basic as the M38. Honestly, I don't think I'd attempt anything to customize it. But I'd be darn sure that I'd work the bolt over until it would cycle flawlessly every time.
    "We must remember that one man is much
    the same as another, and that he is best
    who is trained in the severest school."
    ~Thucydides, History of the Peloponnesian War

Let's say for self defense you had only the Mosin-Nagant 7.62 x 54 carbine in its most basic design. What would you do to personally customize it to fit your defense standards?
    I'd sell it for whatever I could get or trade up in a SHTF scenario to whatever my target had.

Chances are either would be better in all honesty.

The day of the bolt gun as a defense gun for me is long over.
    Driver carries less than $45 worth of remorse.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Risque007 View Post
    Haha, okay, this isn't as mall-ninjaish as it sounds. Think of this as a hypthetical scenario:

All kidding aside, there are a few minor things you can do, but nothing that will make a major difference in its function. Since you are asking for opinions, here is mine:

-Dump the bayonet, that makes it too long to effectively wield inside a house.
    -Buy some "good" ammo to help lessen the overpenetration issue. If you reload, download and top with some good soft point .30 cal bullets.
    -Shoot it a lot and spend some time at the range just cycling rounds through the chamber. This will help you to get a feel for the bolt and for reloading quickly.
    -Put a sidesaddle on the butt with spare rounds.
    -Replace the steel buttplate with a decent, padded one.
    -Remove the barrel rings, take off the top wood and cut back the wood on the foregrip to help lessen the weight and bulk.

That's about all I can think of to help out.
    eschew obfuscation

The only thing that stops bad guys with guns is good guys with guns. SgtD

VIP Member Array Redneck Repairs's Avatar
    Guys i guess on thought , we should kinda define what a " shtf " or trunk rifle is , and what it should do . For myself it is defined as " put rounds on target from 15 yards to a couple of hundred yards , on target is " minute of beer can " or about 4 moa. Rapid fire tho nice is not necessairy and a turnbolt will work fine if that is what you can afford . I dont want a super tuned match gun to get beat around , nor do i want a high end ebr to get beat up . Cheap , Reliable , and acceptably accurate are my watchwords . for close up fast work i have a pistol , for wayy out there i dont need to shoot anyway .Now dont get me wrong .. i will take my ar or my fal , or even one of the sks's i own over my mosin for an all the time rifle . Its because i have them tho , and the mosin would be fine in the role with no mods , with the mods i listed ( to help with recoil and put the sight on one plain with no battery dependancy) it would be as good as any turnbolt can be without a detacable mag . Imho the enfield jungle carbine is the ultimate social trunbolt .
    Make sure you get full value out of today , Do something worthwhile, because what you do today will cost you one day off the rest of your life .
    We only begin to understand folks after we stop and think .

Criminals are looking for victims, not opponents.

Quote Originally Posted by Redneck Repairs View Post
    and a turnbolt will work fine if that is what you can afford . I dont want a super tuned match gun to get beat around , nor do i want a high end ebr to get beat up . Cheap , Reliable , and acceptably accurate are my watchwords .
    For me, I can afford better.

I don't worry about the cosmetic condition of defensive firearms. For me, if that means my trunk FAL gets some cosmetic wear for existing, it gets some wear. It was built with a G1 kit that was pretty cosmetically ugly to begin with - and cost me a whopping $350 in parts and receiver to do back in the old days.

However, I wouldn't hesistate to leave one of my Uzis, a higher end FAL, or a G3 clone there. I don't use ARs as trunk guns due to dirt concerns, not value ones.

Like my carry firearms, I use the best available firearms for my purpose. My life is irreplaceable - I can earn more money and over the course of its useful life, a $800 item that gets damaged through 'normal' use is nothing.
    Driver carries less than $45 worth of remorse.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links