Review: Springfield Armory Scopes

This is a discussion on Review: Springfield Armory Scopes within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Just a short review of SA's 6-24 x 50 mm with illuminated mil-dot reticle. I bought the scope a year and half ago and it ...

Thread: Review: Springfield Armory Scopes

Review: Springfield Armory Scopes

Just a short review of SA's 6-24 x 50 mm with illuminated mil-dot reticle. I bought the scope a year and half ago and it was a reconditioned unit. There were no new ones available at the time so I bought it for $100 less than list price. It worked great. Clarity was good, zero was repeatable from 100 yds to 600 yds and back, and everything worked like it was supposed to. Until, one day I noticed the reticle seemed to be canted. Tuned out the tube that held the reticle had come loose. I sent it back to Springfield and about two weeks later I received a brand new unit, and a check reimbursing my shipping expenses in full. I have to give credit where credit is due, they treated me very well. Incidentally, I have the scope mounted on an M1A with Smith forged steel mounts. I would highly reccommend these mounts. The workmanship is superb, and they are as beefy as they come.

2. Remove Ads

If you can quickly and easily use the mil-dot formula, that's a great scope. But I've not been to sniper school and I'm a little bit math challenged anyway (I teach social studies not math!) so I went out and bought (about 5 years ago) a Shepherd Range Finding scope and put that on my M1A supermatch that was worked over by ROBAR. That is one sweet scope! Nominally the rings fit over the shoulder area of a deer at certain ranges, however the same area would also comprise a man's chest at those same ranges. I had to specify what "game" and bullet weight I'd be using when I ordered the scope and I chose the dual application "deer" and sniper preferred 168gr BTHP Federal Match. But at 100yds this rifle will put three rounds into a group you can cover with a penny! Thye scope cost (then) about $500. ONE SHOT ZERO GUARANTEE is valid!
    Former Army Infantry Captain; 25 yrs as an NRA Certified Instructor; Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.

One thing to bear in mind........always have a plan B.

Scopes break....fairly often. In past 5 years I have sent in both a Leupold and a Burris.

All of my guns have iron sights. Murphy is watching you!!!
    Keep the shotgun handy!!

That's why my Shepherd Scope has a "see through" mount. Mostly this is not so much for the problems associated with Mr Murphy and breakage, but to make sure my battle rifle is more than just a static reach out and touch 'em piece and can be used in an up close and personal mode as well. But that's also one reason I'm planning on buying the new M1A SOCOM 16 carbine with propietary muzzle brake. It's s'posed to be LOUD as the dickens....but that's why everything I wear always has a set of those little squishy ear plugs somewhere....
    Former Army Infantry Captain; 25 yrs as an NRA Certified Instructor; Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.

Links