Anybody try out long range shooting?

This is a discussion on Anybody try out long range shooting? within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I got sucked into it 2 years and 4 months ago and I can tell you. It got me by the balls. I use to ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree73Likes

Thread: Anybody try out long range shooting?

Senior Member Array Pure Kustom's Avatar

Anybody try out long range shooting?

I got sucked into it 2 years and 4 months ago and I can tell you. It got me by the balls. I use to go to the range twice a week with 1911's and revolvers. But for awhile. It has mostly been rifles. Anybody else get hooked on long range? On the bright side. I made High Master last February in F Class FTR HIGH POWER LONG RANGE. Shooting a .308

I shoot a .208AMAX @ 2,600 FPS Using 43.6gr Varget out of a 30" barrel. Using Lapua Palma Brass and Remington 71/2 Primers.

This is my new 1000 yard competition rifle. Remington 700 action, 40MOA Scope base, 32" Bartlein barrel, HS Precision stock, Leupold 45x45 Competition Scope, Fire Fox Bipod.

I have shot the same load out of this gun to see it it can hold the pressure and it did, no problem. But I won a bunch of 215 Berger Hybrids. so I want to develop a load with those on this rifle.

This video is of my current match rifle. Shooting 208's 30" Krieger Barrel, 40MOA Scope base, Nightforce 12-42x NSX Scope, HS Precision stock, Fire Fox Bipod.

My girls, 500 yard match rifle on the left and 100 yard rifle on the right.

Distinguished Member Array JDavisArk's Avatar
    Pretty sweet. Costs money. I was perfectly happy with what the USMC gave me to work with along with free ammo. 800yds or a mile. These days I just rely on my custom built .308 by Aurora Tactical and my 338winmag. Neither one looks as good as those, but then again, looks aint everything.
    Congrats on your rifles. Have yet to see targets and holes.
    Yeah, I've tried long range shooting via taxpayer money. Done good there. I can't afford that stuff now on my own although I'd like to.
    Your load data isn't going to impress anyone here since most are not reloaders, nor have a bench rest rifle for 1K yds. I can relate in ways, and I'm sure you're proud of yours. I respect that.
    How much difference is there between terrorism and tyranny?

Senior Member Array Pure Kustom's Avatar
    Targets and holes? That's not a benchrest rifle. That's with a bipod shot in the prone position.

1000 yard target with sighters. With a .308

1000 yard target with sighters. With a .308

testing a load at 500 yards with a .223

5 shot at 50 yards with a 22lr

Distinguished Member Array JDavisArk's Avatar
    5 shot at 50 yards with a 22lr isn't exactly impressive nor long range.
    Those at 1K yards out of those rifles for the .308 I couldn't hope for better. The .223 @ 500yds seems good off hand or prone.
    How much difference is there between terrorism and tyranny?

Oh yeah. I cut my teeth on rifles. My first firearm love. Still my favorite.

I never had a target rifle, other than many 22-250s for varmints. All my bolt guns are hunting rifles, extremely fine tuned. I practice mightily with all of them. While I never played around with 1000 yard bench, I was at one time pretty darn reliable on speed goats out to 550 or so. Mulies as well. Rare indeed is the elk that requires more than a 150 yard stretch, but my elk rifle has taken other critters well past 500 yards.

Folks say that that kind of shooting is irresponsible. I don't. Never lost an animal. If you can do it, you're good to go. Takes a good deal of time, practice, and big bucks worth of reloading components.

That's my kind of long range shooting. 25-06, 30-06, 300 H&H, 8mm Remington, all are long range hunting cartridges.

Granted, I can usually whittle that down to 250-300 yards (excluding antelope), but knowing that you have the skill to reach out there is priceless.

Nothing is more satisfying than precision shooting at 500+ yards with a sporterweight rifle.
    willhsteele and NONAME762 like this.

Yep, when we are hunting antelope in Wyoming...
    This guy walks up to me and says "In this town you better shoot first and ask questions later" ...I wanting to ask him why but I had to shoot him first.

Long range is something I'd like to get into, informally.

That looks like fun, also money. I have never done that, but I have made a couple of long shots hunting. It was pretty exciting and I would like to go out west on a hunting trip where the shots are generally longer. Here in Ga. a 100 yd shot on a deer is unusual.

Quote Originally Posted by JDavisArk View Post
    5 shot at 50 yards with a 22lr isn't exactly impressive nor long range.
    To hold a group like that is impressive. Not as easy as one would think, and a solid show mechanics.nice shooting.

We shoot at a 600 yard range. My 22 is very similar to my M1A1 national match. The 30-06 and 22-250 are both hunting rifles that will score at 600 plus yards. The 22 and dum dums at 50 and 75 yards are lots of fun.

What's that thing hanging from the end of the barrel? A chrono of some kind?

Brian

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Benthic View Post
    What's that thing hanging from the end of the barrel? A chrono of some kind?

Brian
    Yes.

MagnetoSpeed
    Benthic likes this.
    NRA Life Member

"I don't believe gun owners have rights." - Sarah Brady

Sponsor
    I'd love to shoot truly long range. One day I may get the time to make a trip to 1000 yard range.

Here's my .308 build

Remy 700 SPS, AAC 20" barreled action(no bolt work), Timney 510 trigger, B&C Medalist 2 bedded and a Trijicon AccuPoint 5-20x50 glass.

So far I haven't had the the opportunity to push it past 300yds and I mostly get to shoot 200yds.
    I'm holding 3/4moa off of bags with 175gn SMK, 42.9gn Varget in once fired Winchester brass. My vertical string opens up a little when prone from a bi-pod, no rear bag. Still sub moa but just barely.
    PAcanis likes this.
    T*A*N*S*T*A*A*F*L
    The best things in life are not free.
    They are paid for with the blood of brave men and women!
    M&P Forum
    Ohioans For Concealed Carry
    Holsters

VIP Member
    West of the Big Muddy and between the Borders.
    Yep. Latest and greatest of the herd:

Rem 700 ACC-SD with B&C stock, Timney trigger, Harris bi-pod and VX3 Leupold Scope 4.5 X 14 x 40.

5 shot group @ 100 yards

When I get the wind right, I can hit a 8" gong first shot, then when my wind is doped, every shot there after out to 575. After that it begins to get a little dicey and the hit percentage goes down.

I also use a TriClawps and a tripod when possible
    Triclawps | Tripod Mounted Rifle Rests

PAcanis and SatCong like this.

Distinguished Member Array denclaste's Avatar
    Good shooting, very good. You forgot to mention that the Xring for F-TR and F Open is 1/2 MOA, ie, 5" at 1k. I've shot F Open since it's inception. 284 Win w/ 162 AMAX's or 168 SMK's. We shoot 1k weekly April-Nov at our range. Also, since muzzle brakes are not allowed in NRA comps, the big boomers (338 Lapua, Ultra mags, etc) are seldom used. Long range is just so much fun and frustration that it has to be shot to truly appreciate it.
    ks kid likes this.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links