Rapid fire @ 300 yds / 11.5" SBR / Bushnell 1-4x scope / 12" dinger...

This is a discussion on Rapid fire @ 300 yds / 11.5" SBR / Bushnell 1-4x scope / 12" dinger... within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Saturday was my day at the range, well, afternoon. I actually went to evaluate a Weaver 1-5x scope on an upper with a 12.5" DD ...

Like Tree4Likes
  • 4 Post By Tangle

Thread: Rapid fire @ 300 yds / 11.5" SBR / Bushnell 1-4x scope / 12" dinger...

Saturday was my day at the range, well, afternoon. I actually went to evaluate a Weaver 1-5x scope on an upper with a 12.5" DD bbl at 300 yards and wound up shooting my upper with a 11.5" VooDoo barrel with a Bushnell AR Optic 1-4x FFP with the PCL.

What led me to the latter set up was the former. I.e. I discovered the reticle of the 1-5x Weaver which had 25% more magnification, covered too much of the dinger at 300 yards and it was slowing me down. At 200 yards is was great, but at 300...

OTOH, my first look through the 1-4X Bushnell told me it was going to be fast, even though it had less magnification. The difference was the reticle shape and size. This is a less expensive scope, about $250, with a lot of features: Compact, good turret clicks, 0.1 MRAD per click, adjustable brightness reticle that really shows up, and a very useful power control lever, and a Front Focal Plane. Sounds too good to be true! So what's the catch? Well, the one I'm currently aware of is image clarity. You simply don't get the image clarity and sharpness of a good expensive scope on a $250. Other things that may not be up to par in an inexpensive scope is turret click accuracy and repeatibility. Repeatability meaning that if you click the vertical up 10 clicks and then back down 10 clicks, does the POI return to the exact same POI.

I haven't checked that but I have noticed the clarity issue. Whether that's relevant or not may depend on the person and their specific applications. I suspect, generally, the image quality becomes significant in lower light levels when image/target recognition becomes more difficult.

But, having said all that, at least in decent light, here's what it can do at 300 yards.

Oh - and I guess it says something about the capability of an 11.5" SBR!

I'm too young to be this old!
    Getting old isn't good for you!

Now for a 2.5x10 on that girl. I really want to see if she still holds that .25 MOA.
    Sticks

Grasseater // Grass~eat~er noun, often attributive \ˈgras-ē-tər\
    A person who is incapable of independent thought; a person who is herd animal-like in behavior; one who cannot distinguish between right and wrong; a foolish person.
    See also Sheep

Sticks, what on earth are you doing up so early? I'm showin' 5:18 am so I'm guessing that's 4:18 am in your neck of the woods!

I don't have a 2.5-10x, but I'm going with a Bushnell 1-6.5x this afternoon - should be interesting!

Actually I get up an hour earlier than that every day - whether I like it or not. Just got around to that thread. Morning habit before work.
    Sticks

Grasseater // Grass~eat~er noun, often attributive \ˈgras-ē-tər\
    A person who is incapable of independent thought; a person who is herd animal-like in behavior; one who cannot distinguish between right and wrong; a foolish person.
    See also Sheep

Quote Originally Posted by Sticks View Post
    Actually I get up an hour earlier than that every day - whether I like it or not. Just got around to that thread. Morning habit before work.
    Show-off!

VIP Member
    NOVA...200 square miles surrounded by reality
    Tangle is that one of the ultra thin barrel from VOODOO.
    Its not about guns...Its about Freedom!

Assistant Instructor @ http://www.green-ops.com/ Located in the Washington D.C. Metropolitan Area "Why should your training be any less special?"

Quote Originally Posted by Rob99VMI04 View Post
    Tangle is that one of the ultra thin barrel from VOODOO.
    I don't know about 'ultra' thin; it is the light weight barrel (0.625 od at the gas port). It has been an impressive barrel so far!

VIP Member
    NOVA...200 square miles surrounded by reality
    Quote Originally Posted by Tangle View Post
    I don't know about 'ultra' thin; it is the light weight barrel (0.625 od at the gas port). It has been an impressive barrel so far!

Ultra Lite Barrels - By Contour - Barrels

This is what I'm reffering to. They have caught my eye. LIttle on the pricey side but if your getting that good of accuracy out of 11.5 inch, you have just peaked my interest again.

Is yours Chrome lined? I only ask because I don't think I'll every buy another Chrome lined barrel again. With these new powders that have really good cleaning agents in them, I don't see the need.
    Its not about guns...Its about Freedom!

Assistant Instructor @ http://www.green-ops.com/ Located in the Washington D.C. Metropolitan Area "Why should your training be any less special?"

Not too shabby, now do that in a field expedient position.
    My rifle and pistol are tools, I am the weapon.

"The way of the warrior does not include other ways.....But if you know the way broadly you will see it in everything"
    - Miyamoto Musashi -

Quote Originally Posted by Rob99VMI04 View Post
    Ultra Lite Barrels - By Contour - Barrels

This is what I'm reffering to. They have caught my eye. LIttle on the pricey side but if your getting that good of accuracy out of 11.5 inch, you have just peaked my interest again.

Is yours Chrome lined? I only ask because I don't think I'll every buy another Chrome lined barrel again. With these new powders that have really good cleaning agents in them, I don't see the need.
    My 11.5" Voodoo barrel came with my Adams Arms piston kit. It cost $100 with the kit! That was a bargain! I don't see those kits on AA's website anymore.

However, I don't believe Voodoo uses chrome lining, they use melonite inside and out. From the Midway USA website for the Voodoo 16" barrel:

Barrel Specifications:

Material: 4150 Moly Vanadium Steel
    Contour: Ultra-Lightweight
    Chamber: 5.56x45mm NATO
    Twist Rate: 1 in 7"
    Chrome Lined: No
    Finish: QPQ Melonite/Black Nitride

M4 Feed Ramps: Yes
    Muzzle Thread Pattern: 1/2"-28
    Exterior Diameter at Gas Block: (16" Barrels - 0.625") (16.5" Barrels - 0.750")

I have not seen any Voodoo barrel specs that would indicate they are chrome lined.

I'm not a chrome lined fan myself.

Quote Originally Posted by Bad Bob View Post
    Not too shabby, now do that in a field expedient position.
    I'm too old to do that

And besides, I can hit a coyote easily at 300 yards - all I have to do is carry that concrete bench with me

Speaking of not too shabby, yesterday I beat these times and had a better hit percentage. I used a Bushnell 1-6.5x scope with an illuminated reticle. I hit 24 out of 25 shots, with 5 shot average split times of 1.1, 1.02, 0.93, and 1.02 seconds. I had a fifth set that was also 0.93 seconds, but I missed one out of that set.

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links