SCAR 1700 Rounds Plus No cleaning oil

This is a discussion on SCAR 1700 Rounds Plus No cleaning oil within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Yesterday I was involved in a Wounded Warrior Shoot. Basically asked to be a RSO and also bring in a cool gun for a WW ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree29Likes

Thread: SCAR 1700 Rounds Plus No cleaning oil

VIP Member
    NOVA...200 square miles surrounded by reality

SCAR 1700 Rounds Plus No cleaning oil

Yesterday I was involved in a Wounded Warrior Shoot. Basically asked to be a RSO and also bring in a cool gun for a WW event. I decided to bring in my Scar.

We had 23 WW's come in to shoot. I ran the SCAR and M1A station.
    Other guns where a BAR from Ohio Ordnance, M1 Garand, Thompson, MP5, Colt Python, DD-M4, Tavor, Misc Revolvers, Pistols SIG 226, Shotgun, AK etc... etc...

First three guys that came over were from Ranger Battalion, I asked if they wanted to shoot they said "O no we just want to look, but that's one of the guns we carry for work". I started handing them empty mags, and said well boys show me how its done. Eyes lit up and they started stuffing mags, in about hour and half the SCAR shot around 1000 rounds maybe even more. I'm not exactly sure, every time I turned around I asked the other RSO for more 5.56.

I had one guy who kept coming back, it was the only gun he wanted to shoot. With five minutes remaining I handed him 3 empty mags and said brother you better start stuffing we only go 5 minutes left. He shot 3 mags in under 3 minutes. Turned around had the biggest eating GRIN on his face I've ever seen.

Anyway the last time I used this gun was for another WW event I participated in, I put the gun away and never cleaned it. So it could easily have over 2,000 rounds through it. I did not wipe it down or re-oil it yet. The oil I'm using is FIRECLEAN incase your wondering. Well here are pictures of the chamber and bolt for your viewing pleasure.

After all was said and done. They shook all of our hands and left a small token of appreciation.

[URL
    CIBMike, Bark'n, PEF and 11 others like this.
    “Are you a thermometer or a thermostat, do you reflect or become what is happening in the room or do you change the atmosphere, reset the temperature when you come into the room”?--Chuck Swindoll

Its not about guns...Its about Freedom!

Sponsor
    Wow, that gun runs clean. Glad to hear of the event and thanks for sharing.
    The mind is the limiting factor

Quick Kill Rifle and Pistol Instructor

VIP Member

Thumbs up

Wow. My bolt is black and crusty after just a few hundred rounds on my ol' gas operated AR. 'Course I only shoot the cheapest ammo available....

Well done!

That's great. Good on you.

Senior Moderator
    That is just freaking awesome! You're a GREAT guy!

I've heard a lot good about Fireclean too.
    Bark'n likes this.

"He went on two legs, wore clothes and was a human being, but nevertheless he was in reality a wolf of the Steppes. He had learned a good deal . . . and was a fairly clever fellow. What he had not learned, however, was this: to find contentment in himself and his own life. The cause of this apparently was that at the bottom of his heart he knew all the time (or thought he knew) that he was in reality not a man, but a wolf of the Steppes."

Apparently the big green machine doesn't think performance like that is enough better than the current AR to warrant a wholesale change. Only the "special" folks can have it.

The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Usual carry - Ruger SP101 .357 DAO snub + LCR .38

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 10thmtn View Post
    Apparently the big green machine doesn't think performance like that is enough better than the current AR to warrant a wholesale change. Only the "special" folks can have it.

It was kind of cool I spoke to a guy from 2nd Bat? sorry if that's incorrect lingo don't speak Ranger. Told me about the weak points in the SCAR system and were him and his fellow comrades were breaking them. Most of it week points are stock related, like the plastic latch for the folder, and the back plate that connects the receiver to the stock. Was thinking about replacing then I said to myself, well maybe before the next time I jump out a Helicopter, then I realized that wasn't going to happen anytime in the near future.
    Norm66 and 10thmtn like this.
    “Are you a thermometer or a thermostat, do you reflect or become what is happening in the room or do you change the atmosphere, reset the temperature when you come into the room”?--Chuck Swindoll

Rob, that is great. You should be applauded for working with the WW project.
    Don"t let stupid be your skill set....

Never be ashamed of a scar. It simply means, that you were stronger than whatever tried to hurt you......

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Harryball View Post
    Rob, that is great. You should be applauded for working with the WW project.
    No applause needed. I'm honored I could do something to give back to those boys and girls many of them gave parts of their bodies.

Dang it why do you have to post stuff like this. Now I have to start saving for a SCAR.

Nice report and thanks for doing the WW thing.
    SW

VIP Member
    This is from my first or second WW event. This is me helping one of the Army Double Amputees. I know the picture sucks its a picture of a framed picture I keep on my desk.

Bark'n, Norm66, Patti and 1 others like this.

on the WW affiliation!

Most (modern) firearms will run either; dry and clean OR oily & dirty, but NOT dry AND dirty. Looks like THAT'S an exception.

Is this a good time to mention the direct impingement vs piston AR debate?
    There are only TWO kinds of people in this world; those who describe the world as filled with two kinds of people...and those who don't.

VIP Member
    Just an FYI this Kid will Knock your socks off and blow your hair back and his wife the same.

Enduring Pride returns to NRA Headquarters

He was from a former soviet bloc country, came to the NYC with the life long dream to be a UNITED STATES MARINE.

Talking to this guy put me to tears. If you look at his wheel on his chair he has a white Iraq sticker. On that sticker was the name of his buddies he lost in Iraq, on the other wheel was an AFG sticker same thing.
    Patti likes this.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Rob99VMI04 View Post
    Just an FYI this Kid will Knock your socks off and blow your hair back and his wife the same.

Enduring Pride returns to NRA Headquarters

He was from a former soviet bloc country, came to the NYC with the life long dream to be a UNITED STATES MARINE.

Talking to this guy put me to tears. If you look at his wheel on his chair he has a white Iraq sticker. On that sticker was the name of his buddies he lost in Iraq, on the other wheel was an AFG sticker same thing.
    I am very impressed.

Good on you, Rob, for taking time out of your busy schedule to volunteer with the WW Shoot.

BTW, I was thinking about an FN SCAR 16, but changed my mind and ordered an IWI Tavor in FDE. I hope I didn't make a mistake.
    "I'm not fluent in the language of violence, but I know enough to get around in places where it's spoken."

Thats awesome but even more awesome that you do what you do. My hats off to you. We don't do enough for our vets.
    Patti likes this.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links