Going into battle

This is a discussion on Going into battle within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; If you were going into battle would you rather have the reliable AK or the more accurate AR...

View Poll Results: If you were going into battle woud you rather have the

Voters
269. You may not vote on this poll
  • Reliable AK

111 41.26%
  • Accurate AR

158 58.74%
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Going into battle

Going into battle

If you were going into battle would you rather have the reliable AK or the more accurate AR

2. Remove Ads

Assistant Administrator
    I'll take the AK.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Must we?

Senior Moderator
    I'd take the AR. I can never get a good cheek weld on an AK.

Besides AR's are pretty reliable.

I only picked AR because FN-FAL isn't an option
    Last edited by pgrass101; February 22nd, 2007 at 03:37 PM. Reason: Bones gave me the idea
    “You can sway a thousand men by appealing to their prejudices quicker than you can convince one man by logic.”

― Robert A. Heinlein,

Distinguished Member Array BIG E's Avatar
    Taking the AK.
    Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft!

-- Theodore Roosevelt --

I'm picking the AR over the AK. Only hits count. I'm not into spraying a lot of bullets indiscriminately all around. Just interested in hitting.
    Actually I'd really rather have an M14! And I do, a Springfield Armory M1A Scout Squad with Aimpoint 2X Red Dot Scope.
    "There is no such thing as too much ammo. Unless you're swimming!"

Quote Originally Posted by Nate View Post
    Must we?
    Thats why I included a poll...but I think it is a good question

AR, as I'm a lefty and that effectively rules out the AK series. But, I'm generally for 100% reliability as the first criterion of any weapon (which would dictate an AK).

So. Guess you could say I'm between a rock and a hard place. (Got a Stag AR in December, BTW. Nice shooter.)
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Distinguished Member Array Gunnutty's Avatar
    I voted AR, don't have an AK.
    We will be much better off when we learn to deal with things as they really are, instead of how we wish them to be!

Tough choice...

AK- extremely reliable, 7.62 round (bigger hole)

AR- reliable, smaller bullet, more accurate

I would say for military operations where you are usually shooting longer distances than CQC I would go for the AR since it is still reliable. Tough choice though, can't really go wrong with either...

Althogh if you have an AK you shouldn't have a problem using the enemies ammo :)

I voted AK for 4 reasons.

1 I have an AK
    2 I don't have an AR
    3 The AKs well known reputation for absolute reliability under the worst conditions.
    4 I like the way they look. It's so ugly it's beautiful.
    "The very atmosphere of firearms anywhere and everywhere restrains evil interference - they deserve a place of honor with all that's good.
    --George Washington

NOVA...200 square miles surrounded by reality
    I'll take a AR over any day of the week and 2 times on saturday.

I work in a gun store part time, and we rent a Bushy M4 forgery style AR with a Aimpoint Comp M3 on top.

We also have 2 WASR centruys for rent.
    These three guns see more rent time then any other rentals in the store. They where bought at the same time. They have Never been cleaned. AFTER 10,000's of the thousands of rounds the AR is still running strong, no parts replaced on this gun from what I can remember. The AK's have are starting to show alot of wear on them, we have replaced trigger groups on both of them, a magazine catch that wouldn't drop the mag at all, and one had I think a piston crap out. How that even happened I have no idea!!!The accuracy is starting to slowly dwindle. We rent these guns for 25 dollars a pop so there is no $ or logic to have them cleaned. After one week they pay for them selves over and over again.

After seeing this I would have to say AR. The newer AR's are extrememly reliable. We don't even oil our rental. I take that back I remember one weekend one of the employees picked it up and his hands turned black he grabbed some Paper towels and a small bottle of Mil tech and put some oil on the bolt carrier, closed it up with his pinkies (similiar to like a smelly dirty sock) and put it on the shelf as if non to the wiser.
    Last edited by Rob99VMI04; February 22nd, 2007 at 04:14 PM.
    “Are you a thermometer or a thermostat, do you reflect or become what is happening in the room or do you change the atmosphere, reset the temperature when you come into the room”?--Chuck Swindoll

Its not about guns...Its about Freedom!

Quote Originally Posted by Rob99VMI04 View Post
    They have Never been cleaned. AFTER 10,000's of the thousands of rounds the AR is still running strong, no parts replaced on this gun from what I can remember. The AK's have are starting to show alot of wear on them, we have replaced trigger groups on both of them, a magazine catch that wouldn't drop the mag at all, and one had I think a piston crap out. How that even happened I have no idea!!!The accuracy is starting to slowly dwindle. We rent these guns for 25 dollars a pop so there is no $ or logic to have them cleaned. After one week they pay for them selves over and over again.

After seeing this I woudl have to say AR. The newer AR's are extrememly reliable. We don't even oil our rental.
    Man... someone needs to take the hour or so and freakin' clean those things! C'mon.

NOVA...200 square miles surrounded by reality
    Quote Originally Posted by Nate View Post
    Man... someone needs to take the hour or so and freakin' clean those things! C'mon.
    There is absolutley no cost benefit for us to clean the rentals. We rent the gun. 300-400 times before it probably goes KAPUT the AR on some Saturdays is rented like 10-12 times. 25 dollars a pop, whats dealer cost on a base flat top M4orgery 5-6 hundred maybe.
    clean that thing would take what 2 days, with that much crap in,on, under, ontop of, caked, and glued in every orfice. Labor to clean it would be close to 150 dollars in man hours. let alone the time it is down when it could be used for rent.
    “Are you a thermometer or a thermostat, do you reflect or become what is happening in the room or do you change the atmosphere, reset the temperature when you come into the room”?--Chuck Swindoll

Its not about guns...Its about Freedom!

Distinguished Member Array SixBravo's Avatar
    As long as its a quality AR like an RRA, Colt or Bushmaster... I'll take that.
    The Gunsite Blog
    ITFT / Quick Kill Review
    "It is enough to note, as we have observed, that the American people have considered the handgun to be the quintessential self-defense weapon." - Justice Scalia, SCOTUS - DC v Heller - 26 JUN 2008

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Links