If you were going into battle woud you rather have the

• Reliable AK

Votes: 112 41.6%
  • Accurate AR

Votes: 157 58.4%

Going into battle

7K views 73 replies 65 participants last post by  Rick Oshay 
#1 ·
If you were going into battle would you rather have the reliable AK or the more accurate AR

#4 · (Edited)
I'd take the AR. I can never get a good cheek weld on an AK.

Besides AR's are pretty reliable.

I only picked AR because FN-FAL isn't an option

#6 ·
I'm picking the AR over the AK. Only hits count. I'm not into spraying a lot of bullets indiscriminately all around. Just interested in hitting.
Actually I'd really rather have an M14! And I do, a Springfield Armory M1A Scout Squad with Aimpoint 2X Red Dot Scope.

#33 ·
Don't mean to hijack this thread, but I REALLY need to talk to you about your 2X Aimpoint!

I treated myself to a Springfield SOCOM for Christmas.

I have some experience with forward mounting a Burris Scout Scope on a Mini-14 and it was very positive.

Aimpoint is the only company offering a magnifying Red Dot. It seems to me that a 2X Red Dot forward mounted ala a Scout Scope would, theoretically, give you the best of both worlds - the speed of a red dot for CQB plus the greater long range accuracy of a 2X Scope.

Problem is, I didn't know anyone who has one or who could report on how the theory holds up in the real world. Until now.

So how's it been working out for you?

#8 ·
AR, as I'm a lefty and that effectively rules out the AK series. But, I'm generally for 100% reliability as the first criterion of any weapon (which would dictate an AK).

So. Guess you could say I'm between a rock and a hard place. (Got a Stag AR in December, BTW. Nice shooter.)

#10 ·
Tough choice...

AK- extremely reliable, 7.62 round (bigger hole)

AR- reliable, smaller bullet, more accurate

I would say for military operations where you are usually shooting longer distances than CQC I would go for the AR since it is still reliable. Tough choice though, can't really go wrong with either...

Althogh if you have an AK you shouldn't have a problem using the enemies ammo :)

#11 ·
I voted AK for 4 reasons.

1 I have an AK
2 I don't have an AR
3 The AKs well known reputation for absolute reliability under the worst conditions.
4 I like the way they look. It's so ugly it's beautiful.

#12 · (Edited)
I'll take a AR over any day of the week and 2 times on saturday.

I work in a gun store part time, and we rent a Bushy M4 forgery style AR with a Aimpoint Comp M3 on top.

We also have 2 WASR centruys for rent.
These three guns see more rent time then any other rentals in the store. They where bought at the same time. They have Never been cleaned. AFTER 10,000's of the thousands of rounds the AR is still running strong, no parts replaced on this gun from what I can remember. The AK's have are starting to show alot of wear on them, we have replaced trigger groups on both of them, a magazine catch that wouldn't drop the mag at all, and one had I think a piston crap out. How that even happened I have no idea!!!The accuracy is starting to slowly dwindle. We rent these guns for 25 dollars a pop so there is no $ or logic to have them cleaned. After one week they pay for them selves over and over again.

After seeing this I would have to say AR. The newer AR's are extrememly reliable. We don't even oil our rental. I take that back I remember one weekend one of the employees picked it up and his hands turned black he grabbed some Paper towels and a small bottle of Mil tech and put some oil on the bolt carrier, closed it up with his pinkies (similiar to like a smelly dirty sock) and put it on the shelf as if non to the wiser.

#13 ·
They have Never been cleaned. AFTER 10,000's of the thousands of rounds the AR is still running strong, no parts replaced on this gun from what I can remember. The AK's have are starting to show alot of wear on them, we have replaced trigger groups on both of them, a magazine catch that wouldn't drop the mag at all, and one had I think a piston crap out. How that even happened I have no idea!!!The accuracy is starting to slowly dwindle. We rent these guns for 25 dollars a pop so there is no $ or logic to have them cleaned. After one week they pay for them selves over and over again.

After seeing this I woudl have to say AR. The newer AR's are extrememly reliable. We don't even oil our rental.
Man... someone needs to take the hour or so and freakin' clean those things! C'mon. :nono:

#16 ·
Can't we all just get along????? No! OK, then I'll take the AK.

#18 ·
I'll take an AR. Although I like both and they are battle proven I'll take the AR. I think it just comes down to preference. I won't list the pros and cons to each but I think that if it came down to only those two it would definately be the AR. (I will say this though in my SHTF weapons case I'm including a Bushmaster AR, an AK, Remington 870 Tactical and a Beretta M9).

#19 ·
AR- remember ONLY HITS COUNT!

I hit with an AR beats a miss with an AK.

#20 ·
I've gone into battle, and more or less had this choice. I had my issue M4, of course, but there were many AKs available for "back-up" use. IMO, {putting on Nomex underwear} the AK is an exremely overrated peasant weapon. I've fired dozens, and have not been impressed with their "legendary" reliability one bit. Many have been downright clunkers, who could barely be coerced into working at all.

I think their ergonomics stink, their controls are poorly laid out, they heat up too fast, they're uncontrollable in full auto, they're accuracy and effective range are poorer than the AR, and their terminal ballistics are only marginally better (if at all) then the AR. They are also heavier, bulkier, and more difficult to accessorize.

I know people love their AKs, and they are fine weapons for their intended purpose - it's just that their intended purpose was to be a cheap, mass produced, untrained conscript weapon...and there are many better options out there.

OK, flame away!!!! :gah: :banana:

#21 ·
If these are my only two choices - it would have to be the AR. However, its definitely not my favorite choice (of course, that's not what you asked is it?:)

On a separate note- I wish the Army paid me 150 dollars every time I cleaned my M-16!!!!

#23 ·
My vote, AR. I own both, neither has jammed yet. The only time an M-16 has jammed on me it was a result of:
a. faulty ammo
b. faulty magazine
c. neglected maintenance (by the previous operator or above operator level. I take care of my weapons.)
d. operator error (but not in a long time)
Those malfunctions are few and far between.
My primary reason for the AR preference: I know it like the back of my hand.

#24 ·
Sure the AR is accurate. Been there done that.
But give me the reliability of the AK. Hits count, as stated above...
but if your weapon won't shoot, you ain't hittin' nothing.

#25 ·
The AR...

Why?
I already have a new BushMaster with an EO Tech holographic scope...:hand10:

ret:urla9ub:

#26 · (Edited)
AK here..but I have both...:yup: .....Don't get me wrong, I love the AR platform as well, but the AK will run with mud, dirt, grit, etc in it, the AR has trouble with stuff like that..........besides.. when you run the AK on Rock-n-Roll, and it begins to get real dirty inside from powder residue, the pitch tones change when firing.. Quite interesting I might add LOL:biggrin2: :haha:

#27 ·
I don't like AKs. Too jumpy for my tastes, accuracy is piss poor. They are good weapons for third world countries.

Given these two choices I have to pick an AR, becuase I can take the long shots with confidence.

Truly though, my choice would be the M-14 or M1A Springfield SOCOM, and hope the enemy is armed with an AK.

#28 ·
As sceptical as I have been towards the AR in the past, I believe the newer incarnations just keep getting better. It is far more accurate, ergonomical, upgradeable, and their reliability is becoming near that of the AK. I wouldn't like to take a bone stock 20" M16 in to battle. But I have started to think of my ideal AR and let me say it looks expencive.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.